FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    236

    F26: how verify installation of CPU microcode patch ?

    I've placed patch to /etc/firmware as recommended on intel webpage and rebooted. How can I verify that patch installation has succeded ?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Havant
    Posts
    178

    Re: F26: how verify installation of CPU microcode patch ?

    Quote Originally Posted by boycottsystemd
    I've placed patch to /etc/firmware as recommended on intel webpage and rebooted. How can I verify that patch installation has succeded ?
    Try dmesg

    Code:
    dmesg |grep patch
    [    1.407995] microcode: microcode updated early to new patch_level=0x0600084f
    [    1.408020] microcode: CPU0: patch_level=0x0600084f
    [    1.408023] microcode: CPU1: patch_level=0x0600084f
    [    1.408031] microcode: CPU2: patch_level=0x0600084f
    [    1.408037] microcode: CPU3: patch_level=0x0600084f
    [    1.408044] microcode: CPU4: patch_level=0x0600084f
    [    1.408052] microcode: CPU5: patch_level=0x0600084f
    [    1.408059] microcode: CPU6: patch_level=0x0600084f
    [    1.408065] microcode: CPU7: patch_level=0x0600084f

    P.S Installation is bad wording, loaded would be a better description.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    236

    Re: F26: how verify installation of CPU microcode patch ?

    Quote Originally Posted by leigh123linux
    Try dmesg

    Code:
    dmesg |grep patch
    [    1.407995] microcode: microcode updated early to new patch_level=0x0600084f
    [    1.408020] microcode: CPU0: patch_level=0x0600084f
    [    1.408023] microcode: CPU1: patch_level=0x0600084f
    [    1.408031] microcode: CPU2: patch_level=0x0600084f
    [    1.408037] microcode: CPU3: patch_level=0x0600084f
    [    1.408044] microcode: CPU4: patch_level=0x0600084f
    [    1.408052] microcode: CPU5: patch_level=0x0600084f
    [    1.408059] microcode: CPU6: patch_level=0x0600084f
    [    1.408065] microcode: CPU7: patch_level=0x0600084f

    P.S Installation is bad wording, loaded would be a better description.
    Thank you.

    It seems that patch isn't loaded:
    Code:
    [u@fedora ~]$ dmesg | grep patch
    [u@fedora ~]$ dmesg | grep microcode
    [    0.000000] microcode: microcode updated early to revision 0x1c, date = 2015-02-26
    [    1.580344] microcode: sig=0x306a9, pf=0x10, revision=0x1c
    [    1.580697] microcode: Microcode Update Driver: v2.2.
    [u@fedora ~]$

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Havant
    Posts
    178

    Re: F26: how verify installation of CPU microcode patch ?

    microcode is loaded early by initramfs so you will probably need to rebuild it.
    Code:
    sudo dracut -f -vvv
    You should see it listed in the build log

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,798

    Re: F26: how verify installation of CPU microcode patch ?

    The other possibility is that CPU is not supported anymore. Like Ivy Bridge/Sandy Bridge.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    6,130

    Re: F26: how verify installation of CPU microcode patch ?

    Quote Originally Posted by srakitnican
    The other possibility is that CPU is not supported anymore. Like Ivy Bridge/Sandy Bridge.
    please link to where you've read that information

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,798

    Re: F26: how verify installation of CPU microcode patch ?

    Not sure about official status, unofficially there weren't a microcode update for these CPU architectures for almost 3 years. What is boycottsystemd seeing is what I am seeing as well. Although I am on Fedora 25 where there are not upgrades anymore, I don't expect one.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    236

    Re: F26: how verify installation of CPU microcode patch ?

    Quote Originally Posted by srakitnican
    Not sure about official status, unofficially there weren't a microcode update for these CPU architectures for almost 3 years. What is boycottsystemd seeing is what I am seeing as well. Although I am on Fedora 25 where there are not upgrades anymore, I don't expect one.
    Update is officially addressed to this CPU and I believe we would learn if Intel would provide wrong information.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,798

    Re: F26: how verify installation of CPU microcode patch ?

    In order to not all stay just on words.

    Code:
    $ sudo dnf --releasever 26 --disablerepo \* --enablerepo updates-testing upgrade microcode_ctl
    $ rpm -q microcode_ctl
    microcode_ctl-2.1-20.fc26.x86_64
    $ sudo dracut -vf --kver $(uname -r)
    dracut: Executing: /usr/bin/dracut -vf --kver 4.13.16-100.fc25.x86_64
    dracut: dracut module 'busybox' will not be installed, because command 'busybox' could not be found!
    dracut: dracut module 'biosdevname' will not be installed, because command 'biosdevname' could not be found!
    dracut: dracut module 'busybox' will not be installed, because command 'busybox' could not be found!
    dracut: *** Including module: bash ***
    dracut: *** Including module: systemd ***
    dracut: *** Including module: systemd-initrd ***
    dracut: *** Including module: nss-softokn ***
    dracut: *** Including module: i18n ***
    dracut: *** Including module: network ***
    dracut: *** Including module: ifcfg ***
    dracut: *** Including module: drm ***
    dracut: *** Including module: plymouth ***
    dracut: *** Including module: kernel-modules ***
    dracut: *** Including module: kernel-network-modules ***
    dracut: *** Including module: rootfs-block ***
    dracut: *** Including module: terminfo ***
    dracut: *** Including module: udev-rules ***
    dracut: Skipping udev rule: 40-redhat.rules
    dracut: Skipping udev rule: 50-firmware.rules
    dracut: Skipping udev rule: 50-udev.rules
    dracut: Skipping udev rule: 91-permissions.rules
    dracut: Skipping udev rule: 80-drivers-modprobe.rules
    dracut: *** Including module: dracut-systemd ***
    dracut: *** Including module: usrmount ***
    dracut: *** Including module: base ***
    dracut: *** Including module: fs-lib ***
    dracut: *** Including module: shutdown ***
    dracut: *** Including modules done ***
    dracut: *** Installing kernel module dependencies ***
    dracut: *** Installing kernel module dependencies done ***
    dracut: *** Resolving executable dependencies ***
    dracut: *** Resolving executable dependencies done***
    dracut: *** Hardlinking files ***
    dracut: *** Hardlinking files done ***
    dracut: *** Stripping files ***
    dracut: *** Stripping files done ***
    dracut: *** Generating early-microcode cpio image ***
    dracut: *** Constructing GenuineIntel.bin ****
    dracut: *** Store current command line parameters ***
    dracut: *** Creating image file '/boot/initramfs-4.13.16-100.fc25.x86_64.img' ***
    dracut: *** Creating initramfs image file '/boot/initramfs-4.13.16-100.fc25.x86_64.img' done ***
    $ ls -l /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img
    -rw-------. 1 root root 19028265 Jan 12 10:22 /boot/initramfs-4.13.16-100.fc25.x86_64.img
    After a reboot:
    Code:
    $ uname -r
    4.13.16-100.fc25.x86_64
    $ dmesg | grep microcode
    [    0.000000] microcode: microcode updated early to revision 0x1c, date = 2015-02-26
    [    0.682853] microcode: sig=0x306a9, pf=0x2, revision=0x1c
    [    0.683623] microcode: Microcode Update Driver: v2.2.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    6,130

    Re: F26: how verify installation of CPU microcode patch ?

    what is concerning is that Intel are now aware of a bug in the microcode update that needs addressing. I guess it's what comes from knee-jerk patching without sufficient internal development and testing.

    As Intel CEO Brian Krzanich emphasized in his Security-First Pledge, Intel is committed to transparency in reporting progress in handling the Google Project Zero exploits.
    We have received reports from a few customers of higher system reboots after applying firmware updates. Specifically, these systems are running Intel Broadwell and Haswell CPUs for both client and data center. We are working quickly with these customers to understand, diagnose and address this reboot issue. If this requires a revised firmware update from Intel, we will distribute that update through the normal channels. We are also working directly with data center customers to discuss the issue.
    End-users should continue to apply updates recommended by their system and operating system providers.
    Source: https://newsroom.intel.com/news/inte...reboot-issues/

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,798

    Re: F26: how verify installation of CPU microcode patch ?

    I am afraid that are just words to silence the masses, there are no intentions to support it anymore. But that is alright, developers with work around these issues in software.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    236

    Re: F26: how verify installation of CPU microcode patch ?

    Quote Originally Posted by srakitnican
    In order to not all stay just on words.

    Code:
    $ sudo dnf --releasever 26 --disablerepo \* --enablerepo updates-testing upgrade microcode_ctl
    $ rpm -q microcode_ctl
    microcode_ctl-2.1-20.fc26.x86_64
    $ sudo dracut -vf --kver $(uname -r)
    dracut: Executing: /usr/bin/dracut -vf --kver 4.13.16-100.fc25.x86_64
    dracut: dracut module 'busybox' will not be installed, because command 'busybox' could not be found!
    dracut: dracut module 'biosdevname' will not be installed, because command 'biosdevname' could not be found!
    dracut: dracut module 'busybox' will not be installed, because command 'busybox' could not be found!
    dracut: *** Including module: bash ***
    dracut: *** Including module: systemd ***
    dracut: *** Including module: systemd-initrd ***
    dracut: *** Including module: nss-softokn ***
    dracut: *** Including module: i18n ***
    dracut: *** Including module: network ***
    dracut: *** Including module: ifcfg ***
    dracut: *** Including module: drm ***
    dracut: *** Including module: plymouth ***
    dracut: *** Including module: kernel-modules ***
    dracut: *** Including module: kernel-network-modules ***
    dracut: *** Including module: rootfs-block ***
    dracut: *** Including module: terminfo ***
    dracut: *** Including module: udev-rules ***
    dracut: Skipping udev rule: 40-redhat.rules
    dracut: Skipping udev rule: 50-firmware.rules
    dracut: Skipping udev rule: 50-udev.rules
    dracut: Skipping udev rule: 91-permissions.rules
    dracut: Skipping udev rule: 80-drivers-modprobe.rules
    dracut: *** Including module: dracut-systemd ***
    dracut: *** Including module: usrmount ***
    dracut: *** Including module: base ***
    dracut: *** Including module: fs-lib ***
    dracut: *** Including module: shutdown ***
    dracut: *** Including modules done ***
    dracut: *** Installing kernel module dependencies ***
    dracut: *** Installing kernel module dependencies done ***
    dracut: *** Resolving executable dependencies ***
    dracut: *** Resolving executable dependencies done***
    dracut: *** Hardlinking files ***
    dracut: *** Hardlinking files done ***
    dracut: *** Stripping files ***
    dracut: *** Stripping files done ***
    dracut: *** Generating early-microcode cpio image ***
    dracut: *** Constructing GenuineIntel.bin ****
    dracut: *** Store current command line parameters ***
    dracut: *** Creating image file '/boot/initramfs-4.13.16-100.fc25.x86_64.img' ***
    dracut: *** Creating initramfs image file '/boot/initramfs-4.13.16-100.fc25.x86_64.img' done ***
    $ ls -l /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img
    -rw-------. 1 root root 19028265 Jan 12 10:22 /boot/initramfs-4.13.16-100.fc25.x86_64.img
    After a reboot:
    Code:
    $ uname -r
    4.13.16-100.fc25.x86_64
    $ dmesg | grep microcode
    [    0.000000] microcode: microcode updated early to revision 0x1c, date = 2015-02-26
    [    0.682853] microcode: sig=0x306a9, pf=0x2, revision=0x1c
    [    0.683623] microcode: Microcode Update Driver: v2.2.
    I've tried it and there was some error:
    Code:
    # rpm -q microcode_ctl
    microcode_ctl-2.1-19.fc26.x86_64
    
    
    # dracut -vf --kver $(uname -r)
    dracut: Executing: /usr/bin/dracut -vf --kver 4.14.11-200.fc26.x86_64
    dracut: dracut module 'busybox' will not be installed, because command 'busybox' could not be found!
    dracut: dracut module 'busybox' will not be installed, because command 'busybox' could not be found!
    dracut: *** Including module: bash ***
    dracut: *** Including module: systemd ***
    dracut: *** Including module: systemd-initrd ***
    dracut: *** Including module: nss-softokn ***
    dracut: *** Including module: i18n ***
    dracut: *** Including module: network ***
    dracut: *** Including module: ifcfg ***
    dracut: *** Including module: drm ***
    dracut: *** Including module: plymouth ***
    dracut: *** Including module: kernel-modules ***
    dracut: *** Including module: kernel-network-modules ***
    dracut: *** Including module: rootfs-block ***
    dracut: *** Including module: terminfo ***
    dracut: *** Including module: udev-rules ***
    dracut: Skipping udev rule: 40-redhat.rules
    dracut: Skipping udev rule: 50-firmware.rules
    dracut: Skipping udev rule: 50-udev.rules
    dracut: Skipping udev rule: 91-permissions.rules
    dracut: Skipping udev rule: 80-drivers-modprobe.rules
    dracut: *** Including module: biosdevname ***
    dracut: *** Including module: dracut-systemd ***
    dracut: *** Including module: usrmount ***
    dracut: *** Including module: base ***
    dracut: *** Including module: fs-lib ***
    dracut: *** Including module: shutdown ***
    dracut: *** Including modules done ***
    dracut: *** Installing kernel module dependencies ***
    dracut: *** Installing kernel module dependencies done ***
    dracut: *** Resolving executable dependencies ***
    dracut: *** Resolving executable dependencies done***
    dracut: *** Hardlinking files ***
    dracut: *** Hardlinking files done ***
    dracut: *** Stripping files ***
    dracut: *** Stripping files done ***
    dracut: *** Generating early-microcode cpio image ***
    dracut: *** Constructing GenuineIntel.bin ****
    dracut: *** Store current command line parameters ***
    dracut: *** Creating image file '/boot/initramfs-4.14.11-200.fc26.x86_64.img' ***
    cat: write error: Broken pipe
    dracut: *** Creating initramfs image file '/boot/initramfs-4.14.11-200.fc26.x86_64.img' done ***
    # ls -l /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img
    -rw------- 1 root root 21059908 12 Jan 11:56 /boot/initramfs-4.14.11-200.fc26.x86_64.img

    After reboot:
    Code:
    $ uname -a
    Linux fedora 4.14.11-200.fc26.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Jan 3 13:58:53 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    $ dmesg | grep microcode
    [    0.000000] microcode: microcode updated early to revision 0x1c, date = 2015-02-26
    [    1.572208] microcode: sig=0x306a9, pf=0x10, revision=0x1c
    [    1.572558] microcode: Microcode Update Driver: v2.2.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2

    Re: F26: how verify installation of CPU microcode patch ?

    Does this microcode update also patch Meltdown?

    Seitensprung
    Last edited by Texas; 27th February 2018 at 11:29 AM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,798

    Re: F26: how verify installation of CPU microcode patch ?

    No, Meltdown is not possible to fix without redesigning CPU architecture entirely it seems. It might take a while before it is fixed even with new CPUs. There was a workaround merged to kernel 4.14.11. What it does is basically flushes cache every time so that there is nothing to read from it which affects performance in some scenarios.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    6,130

    Re: F26: how verify installation of CPU microcode patch ?

    the patch is for meltdown but so far only applies to a limited set of processors. more will be patched in the coming weeks.

    https://www.wired.com/story/meltdown...erability-fix/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. how to patch a kernel 2.6.37 with galbraith patch?
    By kouche in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 7th February 2011, 08:22 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 30th January 2010, 12:20 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20th January 2009, 12:00 PM
  4. how to verify the installation after attack?
    By nariknahom in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 22nd February 2008, 03:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •