FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Distro-Sync 25 to current

How much pain and suffering should I be looking forward to in doing a dnf distro-sync ?
    Obscurum per obscurius
    -the obscure (explained) by the more obscure.

Re: Distro-Sync 25 to current

I believe you want to upgrade to a newer Fedora release? distro-sync synchronizes packages to current Fedora release with what it is in repositories possibly even downgrading.

In theory you should not have any problems, in practice there might be some. Upgrading to a newer Fedora release depends solely on what additional software is installed and if that software depends on some component from base repositories that got upgraded to a newer version. There is also always a possibility of hardware regressions. It is impossible to know for sure until you try the new version.

Quote Originally Posted by srakitnican
    I believe you want to upgrade to a newer Fedora release? distro-sync synchronizes packages to current Fedora release with what it is in repositories possibly even downgrading.

In theory you should not have any problems, in practice there might be some. Upgrading to a newer Fedora release depends solely on what additional software is installed and if that software depends on some component from base repositories that got upgraded to a newer version. There is also always a possibility of hardware regressions. It is impossible to know for sure until you try the new version.
    Thanks srakitnican! "Theory" is why I have my /home dir on a separate drive :P
    Obscurum per obscurius

It can be a pain but I do it always yet I never distro-sync the running system. I create a clone on another partition and then upgrade that. My home directory is a separate partition as you have done. I've recently distro-synced from F23 direct to F27 without many issues. The nice thing about cloning your system is you can fail and still get back to what you had and start over again.
    Post #14 in this thread describes my process:
    https://forums.fedoraforum.org/showt...ade-F20-gt-F23
    I won't call it a howto as I think it could use another round of editing but it does a good job of letting you know what your in for.
    jbkt23
    Thinkpad x200 Intel P8600, x40
    Acer AMD A10-7800 R7

Thanks for the great info on cloning jbkt23! That's something I'll have to look into, or at least practice doing with a VM first :P
    Obscurum per obscurius

Actually, I just did that myself.
    Code:
    dnf --releasever=27 distro-sync full
    Import the F27 keys first, though. (you can go 2 versions higher than the current installed without having to download the keys)
    Code:
    rpm --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-27-x86_64
    This is how I have done my version upgrades for years, never had problems.
    Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?