FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Xorg frequent nouveau hangs on F27

Hi,
    I switched to discrete graphics (from hybrid, on a Lenovo P50, latest F27 kernel 4.14.11) because I could no longer stand the frequent hangs caused by a nouveau crash, eventually logging me out (lossing unsaved data, programs quit on me). Anyone seeing the same?

from journalctl -k -b:

Jan 06 10:55:05 marchost kernel: [drm] GPU HANG: ecode 9:0:0x85dffffb, in Xorg [1209], reason: Hang on rcs0, action: reset
    Jan 06 10:55:05 marchost kernel: [drm] GPU hangs can indicate a bug anywhere in the entire gfx stack, including userspace.
    Jan 06 10:55:05 marchost kernel: [drm] Please file a _new_ bug report on bugs.freedesktop.org against DRI -> DRM/Intel
    Jan 06 10:55:05 marchost kernel: [drm] drm/i915 developers can then reassign to the right component if it's not a kernel issue.
    Jan 06 10:55:05 marchost kernel: [drm] The gpu crash dump is required to analyze gpu hangs, so please always attach it.
    Jan 06 10:55:05 marchost kernel: [drm] GPU crash dump saved to /sys/class/drm/card1/error
    Jan 06 10:55:05 marchost kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: Resetting rcs0 after gpu hang
    Jan 06 10:55:13 marchost kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: Resetting rcs0 after gpu hang
    Jan 06 10:55:21 marchost kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: Resetting rcs0 after gpu hang
    Jan 06 10:55:29 marchost kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: Resetting rcs0 after gpu hang
    Jan 06 10:55:37 marchost kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: Resetting rcs0 after gpu hang
    Jan 06 10:55:38 marchost kernel: traps: xfsettingsd[6796] trap int3 ip:7f5dd40a47b1 sp:7ffd3094f7d0 error:0 in libglib-2.0.so.0.5400.2[7f5dd4054000+111000]

This seems to happen mostly when I am in the middle of updating a ppt in Libreoffice... Any news on a fix for this?

PS - this is Xfce, so no Wayland.

thanks,
    Marc

Re: Xorg frequent nouveau hangs on F27

Hi

if it could helps I've a similar issue with nouveau that I solved in this thread: https://forums.fedoraforum.org/showt...DM-from-Plasma

The solution for me was basically blacklisted nouveau drivers and install nvidia propietary drivers from rpmfusion repositories. It's important that nvidia kmod kernel modules are installed too (the last kernel update wasn't came with that package until a few days later). Now everything works fine for me. The only little 'bad news' is that nvidia drivers are not working with Wayland by now so the graphics system is working with Xorg. But it has solved another old problem with tearing too.

I hope this helps.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by Tnix76
    It's important that nvidia kmod kernel modules are installed too (the last kernel update wasn't came with that package until a few days later)
    One way to solve the sync issue with kernel and kmod-nvidia versions is to install akmod-nvidia. This will automatically build kmod-nvidia that matches the updated kernel version when you reboot with the new kernel. I usually reboot twice to be safe (once to recompile using akmod, then next reboot to load driver from clean slate).

Thanks for the reply. I have never used the proprietary drivers from Nvidia, nouveau used to work just fine and stable out of the box on my previous machine (Lenovo W540). I might give them a try. So far the discrete graphics make my P50 rock steady, nothing that crashes my machine. downsides are that I am unable to adjust brightness and some lags Alt-tabbing between screens.
    A guy supporting the RHEL community (fedora runs "unsupported") at my shop gave me a workaround for the hybrid graphics issue:

1. Create the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf with the following content

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Intel Graphics"
    Driver "modesetting"
    Option "AccelMethod" "none"
    EndSection

2. then reboot to latest kernel

This totally bricked my machine... fortunately I had a live USB handy so I could remove the file. With it I was unable to complete a boot. The latest kernel when I tried this was 4.14.11, maybe he meant something more upstream (at 4.14.13 now as I updated today)

I do think he has an Intel video card, not an Nvidia.
    "monsters John ... monsters from the ID..."
    "ma vule teva maar gul nol naya"

this is a Lenovo P50, so intel and Nvidia (M100M or M200M) graphic cards

I think for hybrid graphics, you need a driver like bumblebee or optimus that switches between intel and nvidia, otherwise I highly doubt they work independently just by running both graphics drivers.

I have such a hybrid and so far I just use intel driver without issue. I haven't succeeded in running hybrid (that was a few years ago, and it was quite a hassle to manually select GPUs) Maybe I'll try it one of these days with the latest Fedora.

I don't think that's how it works. On a new TP (in my case my previous W540 and now P50, both lenovo) the nvidia card is enabled by default, nouveau the active drivers. Switching between both cards needs something like bumblebee, but that has always been unstable. You can choose to disable the Nvidia card in BIOS.