FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

What happened to Fedora?

I switched to Fedora 4 and eventually up-graded to Fedora 8. This was so long ago I forgot what happened. So, what happened?

Re: What happened to Fedora?

Quote Originally Posted by yonnie
    I switched to Fedora 4 and eventually up-graded to Fedora 8. This was so long ago I forgot what happened. So, what happened?
    Welcome to the forum. Fedora Project is still sponsored by Red Hat but has evolved a lot since the days of Fedora Core. If you want to read the history of the project take a look at the wiki pages.

While the main ISO is focused on GNOME there are several alternatives available from the spins.fedoraproject.org page.

The best thing to do is just explore for yourself though to see what has changed. Basically, everything has been upgraded or replaced though.

This forum is a user community forum run by users for users. So I've moved your thread to the appropriate section. You posted in the section about Forum upgrade work (which is still ongoing)

Hi Yonnie,
    Given today is 1 January, 2018, happy new year to you. I do have a question about your name. In the USA, your name can be for a female. In some other places, yonnie is a male name, an alternative to Jonathan.

A lot has gone on with Fedora for the better during the past 10 years. If you want to discover. there are live ISO's to use to explore what's new. If you have questions about Linux, mostly related to Fedora, here is the place to post them.
    Last edited by lsatenstein; 2nd January 2018 at 10:25 PM.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Like most Linux distributions, Fedora has changed. It's far more GUI oriented--for example, if one tries a text based install, you'll find it's severely crippled. There are several changes (many of these in Linux itself) where they've begun, to quote a former forum member, welding training wheels on.
    There's systemd and various other things that may be useful for a desktop, but that many people feel get in the way of a server system. There are many improvements, and things that some consider improvement and others consider regressions. The installer is still one of the least robust installers around and its interface seems to me to be far less straightforward than many others.

A lot depends upon what your previous, and/or planned use is. One can still use it as a server, though Fedora itself, with its rapid upgrade cycle, may not be the best for that. More attention is paid to quality control, and even though it's still somewhat of a development platform for RedHat, a release has usually been well-tested.

There is still risk, and there are still some things that get put in before they should be.

The init system has changed completely. Most error logs are now binary files and have to be viewed with a separate command, but as far as day to day use of a workstation, your impressions will probably be positive. If you're a server admin who hasn't worked with Linux in years, you may dislike the changes, or feel they are good ones, this is a highly personal thing and has, in the past couple of years, become quite an emotional as well as technical issue.

There is a live workstation version available that you can burn to a USB or DVD and take it for a ride yourself. (Said version uses a complete desktop environment, and is probably the best compromise for say, someone used to Windows or Apple and idly curious.)

So I'd say try that, see what you can and can't do, then come back and ask some more.

Thank you for the most generous welcome back. Fedora is very different now vs then, but so is everything. This forum especially, this is very different than memory serves. Am installing fedora as I write this response.
    Why is this install only asking for a root password? This seems very different

If you are using the latest Workstation Live ISO, I believe it is because when you first start the system after install, user account creation is now handled by GNOME initial setup.

The root password is essential. The user password can be provided at the same time, or after rebooting.

During installation you should create (a standard user or) an admin user by clicking the checkbox to indicate Administrator.
    Fedora, unlike other distributions, asks for a root password. Imagine, with other systems, the problem if you install a new system and you mis-typed the common password.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

One thing to be aware of is that Fedora no longer supports 32-bit x86 based CPU. If you still have the old PC you installed Fedora 4 on, you may want to check if it runs 64-bit OS if you intend to use the latest Fedora.

I myself have one of the earliest 64-bit laptop that I started with Fedora 3 or 4, and now running Fedora 27 perfectly without any external driver install, both wired and wireless, as long as I avoid memory-hungry applications and stick with Xfce4, although most of the popular applications run just as well.

I thought of donating the laptop since I already have another PC I use most of the time, but the old laptop keeps running any latest Fedora I throw at it, so I decided to keep it until it dies (probably not until another decade.)

PS: I didn't see your response that you are already installing new Fedora. Guess you already have a compatible PC. Good for you!

The network installer is still available in 32-bit form for Fedora 27. It's just the Live ISO images that haven't been built, so if new users have a reasonable internet connection they can still try installing that way. Also, existing users can still upgrade from earlier 32-bit releases.

sorry, didn't mean to be away so long. I initially started out with a download from some college off a bulletin bd around 93 and then a friend handed me a cd at a show published by palo alto research, it was a copy of redhat. There were no applications back then that did much with windows. Pretty much their stuff was proprietary and trying to work with documents in a workplace everyone had to be using the same software. Back then it was a real headache. I moved into fedora because it installed easier and had a few apps that were useful, but after #8 one of the apps I relied on didn't come out for awhile so I had to move to Debian to get that app. I didn't come back to the forums for awhile and they closed my account.

I do have some laptops that I would like to keep running for awhile. I had to semi-retire them cause they got too slow. I think I had lubuntu on them, but they seemed to get slower and slower with every update. One is a dell mini 10 and the other looks just like it (probably made by the same factory but it says it's an MSI). These were very handy as I need the rj45 port, browser and a terminal. It seems manufacturers are eliminating what I need for work. I'm becoming irrelevant.

My tower runs 64 bit, but even it is getting near 10 years old, runs pretty snappy still. I put the fedora 27 on a refurbished HP workstation so I could stumble around the menus and discover how it works. Hardly anything is familiar and haven't found where the hardware info is located. The system monitor shows four cpus and 4gb of ram, but nothing about the actual hardware. I installed the gnome version, I kind of like it so far. Good job.

Hey Rip Van Yonnie

I am enjoying your "rediscovery" of Fedora.
    I too am rediscovering Fedora after two years. It now supports three monitors without having to to the NVidia thing.