FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

CueCat in F27

Has anybody here used a CueCat barcode reader in Fedora? I found a brand new one for 50 cents at a thrift store, and I've been trying to get it working on my F27 system. It's the PS/2 model, but I used a PS/2-to-USB adapter to plug it in to a USB port. It lights up, and I was even able to scan a barcode on a book. The output was sent to the system console, but it was in some encrypted format that looks like this:
    Code:
    .C3nZC3nZC3nXDNrZDxvXCNnX.fHmc.C3r1DhTWC3nXCxz7.
    Searching for any kind of software that can decode that format to an ordinary UPC code turned up nothing but dead links to CueAct and other long-gone applications.

I want to use the CueCat to scan all by books so that I can build a digital catalog of what I own. Any help would be appreciated.
    OS: Fedora 27 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 7GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N

Re: CueCat in F27

There are a few for sale on EBay. Why not approach the vendors to see if they can provide you with a pdf version of the manual.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Quote Originally Posted by RupertPupkin
    Has anybody here used a CueCat barcode reader in Fedora? I found a brand new one for 50 cents at a thrift store, and I've been trying to get it working on my F27 system. It's the PS/2 model, but I used a PS/2-to-USB adapter to plug it in to a USB port. It lights up, and I was even able to scan a barcode on a book. The output was sent to the system console, but it was in some encrypted format that looks like this:
    Code:
    .C3nZC3nZC3nXDNrZDxvXCNnX.fHmc.C3r1DhTWC3nXCxz7.
    Searching for any kind of software that can decode that format to an ordinary UPC code turned up nothing but dead links to CueAct and other long-gone applications.

I want to use the CueCat to scan all by books so that I can build a digital catalog of what I own. Any help would be appreciated.
    Looking at this it maybe possible to hack the device to decrypt the output

http://www.cexx.org/cuecat.htm

Quote Originally Posted by leigh123linux
    Looking at this it maybe possible to hack the device to decrypt the output

http://www.cexx.org/cuecat.htm
    Thanks! That looks to be exactly what I need. I'll try it out and see how it goes.
    OS: Fedora 27 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 7GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N

It worked!!

I used the "Confuse-A-Cat" instructions on the site leigh123linux linked to, for having the CueCat send unencrypted output to the console. My version is the FM+H Rev 0.3, so at first I tried the procedure described for the TM+H Rev 0.3, but that didn't work. So I then tried the procedure described for the HO+E revision and that did it! Specifically, I joined the R29 hole to the J2 wire, using a twisty tie.

I scanned my paperback version of The Martian Chronicles and it correctly showed 07678300225813179 on the console. Tested some other books and they all showed the correct UPC codes. Woohoo!!

Thanks for the help, leigh. If you're ever in Detroit I'll buy you a Coney dog and a Vernors.