FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Black, red, blue, purple green hard disk labels

I need to replace a 2010 disk drive. Smartctl is telling me that it's time. I started to research replacements.

So far, the Red and Green disks spin at 5400rpm/90 rotations per second. The others at 7200rpm/120 rotations per second.

There are all kinds of prices, for the drives, all appear to have similar performances and all that I could note was: different guarantees based on label color and for the most part, the same device. There are some speciality drives with caches in front of them, but lets exclude those for now.

Why hard disk?
    ----------------------
    I make use around 300gigs of storage, 200gigs of which is mainly read-only, When you read the specs, and compare the drives, the drives appear to all have 64meg cache, ncq, and other benefits. I would go to 512gig SSD's but Canadian $54 for a drive is a lot less expensive than Canadian $180 for the 500gig SSD.

What are the cheaper prices about? Are the cheaper drives rejects from the more expensive ones? Are we being bamboozled into thinking that the more expensive drives will last longer or perform that much better?
    I am really peeved and would like to know your opinion/experience.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Re: Black, red, blue, purple green hard disk labels

WD drives - Avoid 'green' drives if you value your data. They spin up and down a lot which puts strain on the drive motor and increases access times. The red ones are better. They are designed for use in servers and NAS on 24/7.

Purple aren't configured for desktop usage. They are low power and low rpm models specifically tuned for video recording from PVR or surveillance equipment.

There really is a difference between product grades. Blue are middle of the road mainstream drives fitted by most OEM because they are cost effective, they are okay but if you can afford red or black go for one of them instead.

WD Black drives are the best performing but you have to decide whether saving ms. versus gaining storage capacity is worth the price

Hi Antikythera,

Thank you for your response about drive labels. Its interesting that I have two Seagate drives, one external, and one internal. Both drives report a very high number of seek errors. The counts are similar between the two: Here is one line

7 Seek_Error_Rate 0x000f 051 048 030 Pre-fail Always - 2658646660219
    Second run of the smartctl -a within 1 minute of the first run...
    7 Seek_Error_Rate 0x000f 051 048 030 Pre-fail Always - 2658646661075

I am foregoing the seek Error Rate as I suspect it is not an error, but the cumulative number of seeks that have been done by the drive.

What I am considering is line 195 from SmartCtl:
    195 Hardware_ECC_Recovered 0x001a 045 023 000 Old_age Always - 120180305

ECC error recoveries indicate failing medium or failing electronics. I am going to watch the 195 statistics once a day for a while. My two Western Digital drives are clean, and as expected, so is my SSD.

Smartctl may be giving true data but falsely classified.

Its 7 hours before New Years, here in the East Coast of North America.
    To one and all, and to you guys across the ocean, three hours to go for new Years, all the very best.
    To the Australians and our Asian Fedora users, You are into your New Year, a sincere best wishes. for good health, prosperity.
    Leslie in Montreal

I've been using WD devices for 10+ years now with excellent results. At one time I had a rationale for selection based on manufacturing sourcing, but I'm sure things are much different now than back in the early 2000's. There is very little detail technical data available to do much comparison shopping ( hence your frustration ). SOME of that it is due to the rapid rate of change in manufacturing detail and MUCH is due to the level of technology sharing across models. In my opinion the differences in Green, Blue, Black, and Red can be grouped into three categories.
    1) rotation rate - trades off data transfer performance for power consumption/temperature ( there are real differences in motor and bearing technology across models )
    2) firmware - implements strategies for power management, error recovery in raid vs single device, data transfer optimization ( there is different firmaware in different models )
    3) product distribution - pricing to support OEM channel ( volume price and OEM warranty support) vs retail channel ( higher packaging and direct customer warranty costs )

I generally choose either WD Black for performance in single drive workstation use, or WD Red for RAID or continuous operation in network storage use.

The pricing variation you see in a model is usually based in the OEM vs retail differences. ( and it MAY affect the warranty support you will get )

In general the WD model classifications do reflect real differences in what you get for your dollar.
    Laptop: Toshiba / Intel B960 2.20Ghz x2/ 4GB/ 320GB SataII/ Intel HD/ fc27.x86_64
    Tower: GigaByte (970A) / AMD FX 8320 3.5Ghz x8/ 16GB/ 9TB Sata III/ AMD 6770HD/ fc28.x86_64
    Bookshelf: Shuttle DS61 (H61)/ i3-3225 3.3Ghz x2/ 16GB/ 320GB Sata II/ Intel HD 4000/ fc27.x86_64
    Embedded: BeagleBone Blk / ARM AM3358 1 GHz x1/ 512MB/ 2GB eMMC/ PowerVR SGX530/ fc27.armv7hl

There are various utilities that are able to increase head parking on WD green, I definitely suggest to do that since aggressive head parking may render the drive last only for warranty period.

https://wdullaer.com/blog/2015/04/05...our-wd-greens/

Interesting tools, I'd use them to decrease not increase parking though

I do the following regarding head parking and disk spinning. A script that I run from crontab.

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    # sleepx.sh version .9   Date 2017/-8/12
    # Do what you want to improve, use, destroy, laugh at
    #
    # Purpose
    #---------
    # When you have multiple drives on your computer but you 
    # use only one or two at a time. There is no need to keep
    #the unmounted (unused) drives spinning.
    # As root, if the drive is not in sleep mode, make it so
    # You may do what you want to improve the script.
    #
    #HOW TO USE
    #----------
    #sleepx.sh a  c # to put drives a and c to sleep
    #sleepx.sh a  c # if drives are asleep, show them
    #sleepx.sh      # no arguments, show drives in sleep mode 
    #need root privilege if you want to set a drive to sleep
    # my root crontab entry ...  For each installation, change input parameters to sleepx.sh 
    #*/30    *       *       *       *       /bin/date >> /root/sleepx.log && /usr/local/bin/sleepx.sh a c d  >>  /root/sleepx.log 
    #
    PATH=$PATH:/sbin:/usr/bin                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
    HDPARM="/usr/sbin/hdparm"                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
    rc=0                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
    if [ ! -e $HDPARM ]                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
    then                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
        rc=1                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
    fi                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
    HDDTEMP="/usr/bin/hddtemp"                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
    if [ ! -e $HDDTEMP ]                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
    then                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
        rc=1                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
    fi                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

if [[ $rc == 1 ]]                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
    then                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
       echo "rc=$? Please install hdparm and hddtemp"                                                                                                                                                                                            
       exit 1                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
    fi                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

function usage()                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
    {                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
      me=$(basename $0)
      iam=$(dirname $0 )
       echo -e "$0 is executed from $iam\nUse with  root access as:"  
       echo "$0 a b c ...  where a b c are drive letters."            
       echo -e "  Used to spin down drives to sleep mode.\n\n"        
       echo "  When you have multiple drives on your computer but"    
       echo "  you use only one or two at a time, there is no need to"
       echo "  keep the unused drive spinning. If you call the script"
       echo "  as root, you can turn off a list of drives or "          
       echo "  review which (by list or no list) drives are in sleep mode" 
       echo ""                                                          
       echo "Use without root access"                                   
       echo "$0 with no parameters display the sleep mode of all drives"  
       echo "$0 with parameters displays the sleep mode of the drives listed" 
       echo "An example of my root crontab entry follows.... " 
       echo "*/30 * * * * $iam/$me  c d e #my 3 drives not currently in use" 
       exit 1
    }

if [[ $# == 1 && $1 == '-h' ]]; then
           usage
    fi

if [[ $UID == 0 ]]; then
       if [[ $# > 0 ]]; then
            while [[ $# >  0 ]]
            do
                    i=$1
                    SDX="/dev/sd${i} "

rc=$(2>&1  ${HDDTEMP} ${SDX}  | /usr/bin/grep -c -F sleeping )
                    #echo "RC=$rc $($HDDTEMP ${SDX} ) "
                    if [[ $rc == 0 ]]; then
                            #echo "drive $i is out of sleep"
                            ${HDPARM} -q -S 6 -y ${SDX}     >/dev/null #30 seconds 
                            #${HDPARM} -y ${SDX}            >/dev/null
                    fi
                            2>&1 $HDDTEMP  ${SDX}  | /usr/bin/grep sleeping | cut -d: -f1,3 
                    shift
            done
       else
            2>&1 $HDDTEMP | /usr/bin/grep sleeping | cut -d: -f1,3                         
       fi        
    #####################
    #       regular user
    ####################
    else
            hddtemp=/usr/bin/hddtemp
            if [[  $# > 0 ]];then
                    while [[ $# > 0 ]] 
                    do
                        2>&1 $HDDTEMP  /dev/sd$1 | grep sleeping | cut -d: -f1,3
                        shift
                    done
            else
                    2>&1 $HDDTEMP  | grep sleeping  | cut -d: -f1,3            
            fi
    #
    fi
            exit 0
    #
    I use 2 disks at a time. Mon,Wed=Gnome with sde,sdb, Tues,Thur=Rawhide with sda, sdb, Wed,Fri=kde with/sdc,sdb. During the weekend I can be using any one of the three. Daily/Weekly/Monthly I do backups between the hard disks a,c,e and b. On the weekends, I do a external backup in addition to the scheduled ones. Since the local backups are run from crontab, I don't spend time about them. I have 4 generations online of my data, and one year bi-weekly backups on external storage.
    Leslie in Montreal