FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

raid-check sucks!

Personalities : [raid6] [raid5] [raid4]
    md1 : active raid5 sdd1[0] sdc1[4] sdg1[2] sdh1[1]
    2930280960 blocks super 1.2 level 5, 512k chunk, algorithm 2 [4/4] [UUUU]
    [================>....] check = 84.0% (821075504/976760320) finish=38.4min speed=67536K/sec

It's really lame how much raid-check bogs down my system. I mean the thing has 8 cores, 16 HTs, and 24G of RAM. There's really no good excuse for my X session events to take 10-20 seconds to process a simple button click on a GUI while the raid-check is going on in the background. So as expected, two of the 16HTs are pegged and disk state is at 100% IO wait. That should NOT affect X11 response or processing of mouse/keyboard events, but it does.

Re: raid-check sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by tempest766
    So as expected, two of the 16HTs are pegged and disk state is at 100% IO wait. That should NOT affect X11 response or processing of mouse/keyboard events, but it does.
    Why shouldn't it? If any resource is waiting for IO then why would other resources not also have issues trying to get IO? This is more an issue with architecture rather than processing power, if there's an accident on the road then buses will be effected just as much as cars, if one bus is blocking a road you could have 1 or 100 cars still unable to get to their destination.

Anyway, you can change the NICE setting in /etc/sysconfig/raid-check to make it, well, nicer.

storage vs probability
    not sure if I believe these numbers

http://www.enterprisestorageforum.co...e-Numbered.htm

Quote Originally Posted by HaydnH
    Why shouldn't it? If any resource is waiting for IO then why would other resources not also have issues trying to get IO? This is more an issue with architecture rather than processing power,.
    Actually, I'd expect it to depend upon the type of IO. Disk IO channel should not interfere with low bandwidth stuff like keyboard and mouse, so yes...big architectural faux-pa, IMHO.

Problem is moot now. Four disk stripe now exists where software RAID-5 once lived...and yep. volume is imaged weekly and work is pushed upstream in git daily.