DIY bare Bones build maifest?
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

DIY bare Bones build maifest?

Does such a thing exist? Over the past few days I've tried the Netinst of the min package, it did let me install firefox
    but took a dump when I tried to run it. Then I installed the Cinnamon desktop which booted to a black screen
    with a flashing white bar in the top left corner, no mouse / keyboard had to use reset button .
    then came netinst of full workstation
    watched it download 1488 packages, then watched it install 1488 packages, then on to verifying 1488 watched it configure 1488 packages,

then onto verifying 1488 packages. Anybody see a pattern evolving here?

All I want is firefox, Thunderbird & once in a while LibreOffice!

Now the big question, Can anyone provide a list of what to install from the command line of a min install
    to get the 3 aps mentioned Gnome Desktop { NO NOUVEAU }

Re: DIY bare Bones build maifest?

Well, what you put together with the minimum install was a non-gui system; therefore, Firefox or other such packages will install but until you provide the ability for gui -- and that includes wayland or xorg or both -- to function, packages like Firefox will not work.
    All I want is firefox, Thunderbird & once in a while LibreOffice!
    This is impossible because to get them to work requires quite a few dependencies, including packages to allow X (or Wayland) to work; and you are probably going to need some sort of Desktop Environment (Gnome is not the best for a minimalist system -- it is quite bloated). So you will have to install several hundred other packages to get a system that you want -- and it definitely will not be a minimal system.

Try installing the following groups to your minimal system to see what happens: @core (which you probably have), @base-x, @fonts. Then, instead of installing a Desktop Environment, try installing only a window manager like Fluxbox, Blackbox or even Compiz. Then try to start up Firefox.
    Install groups this way:
    Code:
    sudo dnf install @core
    Install "idesk 0.7.5-7" to get icons on desktop for fluxbox or blackbox.

Thanks for the replies, it was too much to hope for, a 64 bit Graphical system and less than 500 meg & I wanted it to look
    and run like windows XP. I have F26 WS up & running so I'll just live with it.

you'd do better with XFCE if you want lower RAM usage. with whisker menu it's easy to set it up very much like windows xp.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyChief
    Thanks for the replies, it was too much to hope for, a 64 bit Graphical system and less than 500 meg & I wanted it to look
    and run like windows XP. I have F26 WS up & running so I'll just live with it.
    Someone broke the lightdm-greeter provides by adding it to his non GUI package, this means lightdm-autologin-greeter is installed instead of lightdm-gtk on netinstall (basic).

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1481192

Quote Originally Posted by leigh123linux
    Someone broke the lightdm-greeter provides by adding it to his non GUI package, this means lightdm-autologin-greeter is installed instead of lightdm-gtk on netinstall (basic).

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1481192
    I don't believe this applies, I never got that far. did a NetInst of the minimal load, then only installed Firefox, was hoping it would resolve & get it's own
    dependencies

Quote Originally Posted by NavyChief
    I don't believe this applies, I never got that far. did a NetInst of the minimal load, then only installed Firefox, was hoping it would resolve & get it's own
    dependencies
    Have you tried LXDE spin ? , download a live image, USB it in, and install from the running live version.
    "monsters John ... monsters from the ID..."
    "ma vule teva maar gul nol naya"

I have an old minimal desktop page. It will wind up pulling in dependencies though.
    http://srobb.net/minimaldesktop.html

Some changes as the page is dated, would be to use xorg-x11-drv-libinput rather than the driver line given, and as it seems you have a tower with an NVidia card, then install the NVidia drivers from rpmfusion. https://rpmfusion.org/Howto/NVIDIA

You'll then have to pick your window manager at least. This would boot to a log in prompt (no GUI login), and you'd then create a $HOME/.xinitrc listing your desired window manager and use startx.

You could then install Firebox, Thunderbird, and your other required packages.