Christmas Loot: New Twist On An Old Game
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Christmas Loot: New Twist On An Old Game

Typically, we enjoy a, "list your loot" sort of a thread around this time, but just for the sake of variety, post below and list what you really wanted for Christmas ... but didn't get. <....>

In my case, I consider it a terrible blow that Santa didn't bring me my hearts desire ...

https://mahindrausa.com/tractors/150...26-4wd-shuttle

I mean ... what kind of a low-down, dirty-rotten, mean-spirited, ugly-hearted trick was, THAT!? <....>

<....>

Re: Christmas Loot: New Twist On An Old Game

On a little more sane and computer related note, I find myself actively in the market for the following:

• Small diameter 25' HDMI cable
    • Desk top mounting bracket for a 42" VIZIO monitor (min 400mm VESA mount)
    • An 8 port USB 3.0 A/B switch
    • (2) 2 hour UPS units
    • (Sigh!) A new Logitech Illuminated keyboard. Mine never fully recovered from a full mug of coffee.
    • (4) iT+ internal SSDs
    • Ramsey FM10 1 watt transmitter with 5W amplifier

New digs, new office, new shopping list, I guess.

1) ceiing mount for a 55 inch flat screen TV. I want to lie in bed on my back, looking up at the TV.
    2) Flat screen TV to mount to ceiling.
    3) three month all expense paid vacation to a resort in a tropical climate. (South of France or Spain where the sand was so fine, it was like cake flour)
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Evil_Bert is offline Retired Again - Administrator

Well, in the realms of what might constitute a chrissie present, I suppose the thing didn't buy myself (showing great restraint, I think) was a 55" OLED flat screen TV, which would have set me back around AUD$3.5K, street price. That price is still way too high even if the picture is extraordinarily good (IMHO).
    Marching to the beat of his own conundrum.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Bert
    a 55" OLED flat screen TV, which would have set me back around AUD$3.5K
    Probably even more if it's a color TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    On a little more sane and computer related note, I find myself actively in the market for the following:

• Small diameter 25' HDMI cable
    • Desk top mounting bracket for a 42" VIZIO monitor (min 400mm VESA mount)
    • An 8 port USB 3.0 A/B switch
    • (2) 2 hour UPS units
    • (Sigh!) A new Logitech Illuminated keyboard. Mine never fully recovered from a full mug of coffee.
    • (4) iT+ internal SSDs
    • Ramsey FM10 1 watt transmitter with 5W amplifier

New digs, new office, new shopping list, I guess.
    Ummmmm..... That last item isn't a "computer related" item ;p Look more a ham related item to me
    Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

I want, but don't need an Android tablet or a Chromebook. I ended up with nothing though.
    I used to miss my wife but then my aim improved.

Lots of things I wanted... Not much that I needed... The main thing I needed was for some nice elves to come freeze their little butts off pulling the motor out of my truck so I could sit inside by the warm fire and sip (eerrr guzzle) the eggnog
    Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Regarding the UPS that would sustain power for a long time. I jerry-rigged a setup as follows:

I got two 200 amp truck batteries with posts from a car scrap dealer at $10/ea, a large plastic box from Wally mart into which to put those 20 pounders, 4 hose clamps (for the battery posts, some 12 gauge house wire. I wired the batteries in parallel using the hose clamps so as to squeeze the 12 gauge wires to the battery posts, I connected the wires from the batteries to battery clips of the 350Watt UPS that previously had a tired worn out battery. In other words, I replaced the UPS battery with a 400 amp hour 12 volt supply to the UPS. It took the UPS a very long time (almost two + weeks) to charge those batteries, but I now have about 3 hours of UPS backup with the desktop and monitor on for 10 minutes. The UPS, also backs up the router, the Vonage voip base, and the cordless phone base.

My observation:

Last year, on a very cold winter day there was a power failure. in which the cpu and monitor were off for the night. The router, and telephone adapters were kept powered for around 18+ hours. We did get power restored and while the house chilled down to 10C (about 50F, my wife, under the blankets was able to talk to her sisters).

By the way, you do need 12 gauge wires for the connections. Amps = Watts/volts. given 100 Watts for Desktop and 60 Watts for monitor, at 12 volts, the current when the batteries are supplying power is around 15-18 Amps. If you are sustaining only the router and telephone adapters, or a cellphone battery charger, at around 20 watts total , then the draw is about 2 amps/hr and 400AH battery drawing 2ah will sustain the router/housephone stuff for more than 24 hours.

Your choice is simple. Spend around $30.00 for some hardware and if you really wanted the cpu/monitor to be on full time, you could invest in a small gasoline powered generator.

Happy New Year.
    Leslie in Montreal

I wouldn't mind this Asus tablet but if the boss found out there'd be hell to pay! I have enough coins in my piggy bank to cover it though!

https://is.gd/PCSOxT
    I used to miss my wife but then my aim improved.

Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).

You know, the reality that I've been sitting here for 10 minutes thinking "what do I want that I don't have" and coming up blank makes me kind of happy.
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

Quote Originally Posted by bob
    You know, the reality that I've been sitting here for 10 minutes thinking "what do I want that I don't have" and coming up blank makes me kind of happy.
    Ah, I'm not alone then

I like to maintain the good friends I met on this forum. Some have been most patient with me, given my stupidity or my mis-reading and responding with a wrong answer to a correct question. You cannot buy true friendships.
    Leslie in Montreal