Why Fedora doesn't provide more stuff on DVD (e. g. 2 or 3 Gb of packages)?
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Why Fedora doesn't provide more stuff on DVD (e. g. 2 or 3 Gb of packages)?

Why Fedora doesn't provide more stuff on DVD (e. g., 2 or 3 Gb of packages)?

Re: Why Fedora doesn't provide more stuff on DVD (e. g. 2 or 3 Gb of packages)?

Quote Originally Posted by tangent144
    Because Fedora is about choice, not ramming every available FOSS package down user's throats by filling the ISO full of unnecessary bloat. If you want an everything runs out the box ISO please use a remix like Korora Project

Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).

moved to Fedora Focus. Suggestions and Feedback is only for stuff about the Forum. As a reminder, we're not a part of FedoraProject and cannot make changes to the distro, just suggest workarounds and give tips.
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

Quote Originally Posted by tangent144
    When trying to start a discussion in a public forum, why not give a bit more input? Why should Fedora include more optional packages in the .iso images? What would be the benefit compared with offering the same packages in the online repositories? Remember, what is included in the .iso images and not strictly required during installation may be obsolete soon and be replaced with online updates anyway.

While I don't pretend to speak for the OP, there is the possibility that they don't have a high speed Internet connection. (Most distributions these days seem to be aimed at those with high speed connections.) For those who don't having to download needed packages afterwards can be very time consuming.

So, is the original question about physical DVD copies or about the .iso images in general?

smr54's point nails it for me. Having been on dial-up for over 20 years, the large dvds with most available packages were what enabled a comprehensive system to be built from the beginning of installation. It wasn't a matter of having a bloated system because at the time those large repositories on dvd were available, one could choose the packages, or groups of them, to install from a minimal to maximal system. Although updates appeared regularly, they were not always necessary to install to have the system running and it was quite possible at times to simply wait the 6 months or so for the next release to change the system. Some security updates might have been wise, but they were often smallish rpms that dial-up could handle. In my country of Australia, there are so many remote locations that still have very slow and unreliable broadband despite the passing of dial-up. I think there's still currently a place for the large repository dvds.

I do get that, however I'm not sure it would fit onto a single DVD any longer. Maybe a dual layer one or an 8GB USB thumb drive.

when it's back up and running you can actually request installation media to be sent to you. they are changing the infrastructure at the moment though so the FreeMedia application form is closed. While that wouldn't get you every package, it would reduce the amount of downloaded data.

The AIO project produce a large ISO containing all Fedora desktops but they are still stuck at Fedora 25. It's also just under 8GB in size and has to be downloaded in two separate archives. The archives are linked so that when you extract the first, it completes building the ISO from the second too.

Hopefully they will address that in the near future as 25 is end of life now.

Does anyone need a DVD set? I will provide a limited number of DVD images and the mailer. Offer expires at end of this year.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

I wish and I pay for a DVD with more stuff (2 or 3 Gb) of Fedora-Workstation-Live, not a DVD set of other images.

Because Fedora is about choice, not ramming every available FOSS package down user's throats by filling the ISO full of unnecessary bloat.
    You have a short memory as Fedora used to have large DVD images. Centos and RHEL still do.

I do get that, however I'm not sure it would fit onto a single DVD any longer. Maybe a dual layer one or an 8GB USB thumb drive.
    Fedora used to have a 4 GB standard iso plus a much larger 6-7 GB 'everything' iso. Centos 7 currently has a standard 4.2 GB iso and a 8.1 GB Everything iso which would fit on a dual layer DVD. Just checked their download page. I remember always using the 4GB standard Fedora DVD and selecting packages from that. You could easily install multiple Desktop Environments which I sometimes did. I last used it with Fedora 16. It was discontinued soon after.

While I don't pretend to speak for the OP, there is the possibility that they don't have a high speed Internet connection. (Most distributions these days seem to be aimed at those with high speed connections.) For those who don't having to download needed packages afterwards can be very time consuming.
    There is also the issue of servers behind firewalls with no access to the outside world. Sysadmins would download a large DVD from a desktop machine outside their firewall and then do an offline installation to their servers. I remember a forum post about this. They would also perform offline updates with rpm --download-only. This could be a reason why RHEL and Centos still have these large images.

Hi Tangent144

While I can prepare a set of DVDs if you wish, before I do, have you checked your local Universities or local ISPs for local download directories?

From what I see and have seen from around the world, some universities mirror the Fedora download directories. If you are in or near one university that offers a Computer Science degree, they may have a current Fedora Repository. If they do, you should be able to arrange a local access for downloads or arrange for a DVD or flash drive to be prepared for you from the university or your ISP. It will be faster to do that then wait for the postman.
    Please advise.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Hi lsatenstein,

I am not a professional of informatics and I am retired. I am only a curious man. I belief the University near me doesn't have a Fedora Repository.
    Fedora Workstation 27 has an update on dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/live-respins and I use this update. I wish, if possible, that the DVD with more stuff
    would be based on Rawhide. An issue: I live in Brazil.

Quote Originally Posted by amiga
    You have a short memory as Fedora used to have large DVD images. Centos and RHEL still do.

Fedora used to have a 4 GB standard iso plus a much larger 6-7 GB 'everything' iso. Centos 7 currently has a standard 4.2 GB iso and a 8.1 GB Everything iso which would fit on a dual layer DVD. Just checked their download page. I remember always using the 4GB standard Fedora DVD and selecting packages from that. You could easily install multiple Desktop Environments which I sometimes did. I last used it with Fedora 16. It was discontinued soon after.
    It was discontinued 4 versions after but is of no use to anyone what happened up until version 20 released in December 2013 when they need an Fedora ISO in 2017.

RHEL and CentOS 7 Everything ISOs cannot be compared to current releases of Fedora with regards ISO creation purposes, the number of desktops and packages maintained by Fedora Project is far more extensive than what CentOS and RHEL actually offer. Have you seen the spins page recently there's at least 5 desktops there you won't find on in official RHEL/CentOS repositories. Recent packages are also bigger in size, including the kernels. Not forgetting the extra packages from Fedora Labs ISOs too. Fedora's EPEL supplies a few more desktops and a small number of missing applications and libraries (but still not everything). You'd have to make a combined ISO of packages from the two repositories (plus anything still missing from nux-dextop repo) before you have anything near comparable.

So yes, while AIO managed to get an 8.1GB (roughly) ISO made of Fedora, they'd struggle to get anything close to that now. It would be nearer 8.5-8.6GB minimum.

The Fedora Everything ISO was dropped because of build resource and Q&A testing demands

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

Be polite - Your memory regarding the forum rules and guidelines, which must all be obeyed needs addressing.

Abuse of other members never accomplishes anything useful. Forum staff take a dim view of people who instigate or participate in such conflicts. We are here to help each other not fight. Do not continue behaving in this rude manner with anyone on the forum or we will be forced to impose restrictions on your account.