Use GNOME 3 Application Manager in Xfce?
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Use GNOME 3 Application Manager in Xfce?

Possible to use GNOME 3 Application Manager in Xfce DE?
    Will G3 Application Manager install a bunch of G3 Libs.?

I'm seeing in dnfdragora 'double listings' for some of the Vector & Paint/Photo Apps and add-ons.

I'm thinking of jumping from Fedora Design Suite to Xfce Spin so I can have more theme control. GNOME Tweaks Tool does not cut it. The big White Title Bars are causing line burn-in under the navigation bar. Also Xfce has a Screen-Savor unlike GNOME 3.

Note Black themes makes some program menu icons very hard to see in Bluefish Code Editor and other programs.

Re: Use GNOME 3 Application Manager in Xfce?

I just launched it under Window Maker (an old and basic, but very awesome, window manager) and installed Mines, if it works in Window Maker then it will work in XFCE. The command line to use is "gnome-software", the dnf package is the same. NOTE: The user you launch it as must have permission to install software. You will need so Gnome libs installed to use gnome-software, gnome-desktop3 is a dependency, however unless HDD space is a major issue then personally I don't mind having the libs installed.

I was able to switch to Xfce, everything went fine, even added the gnome software center, then it broke along with dnfdragora and terminal. Also Xfce System Monitor does not show all of my i5 cores like GNOME 3 does. Xfce is faster, but not as much as I would like it to be. I installed Xubuntu on a old virus infected laptop a few years ago that flew with it Then they found the lost XP disk and got infected again

LXQt or MATE might be a better DE choice?

Anyway I'm back on FDS27 and it's working great w/ a few quirks like changing only the Title Bars color or add transparency. Because dark themes don't always play nice w/ icons. At least the 'Dash to doc extension' brings back F25 functionality and then some.
    Last edited by EastTexas; 3rd January 2018 at 04:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EastTexas
    LXQt or MATE might be a better DE choice?
    I still say Window Maker is the best window manager ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by HaydnH
    I still say Window Maker is the best window manager ever created.
    Will give it a shot.
    Although Xfce with "Slickness Black", and QT5CT running properly with Adwaita-Dark , does a wonderful job.
    Only prob is some websites where suddenly your typing is white on white, however, at least fedoraforum works fine hehe.
    "monsters John ... monsters from the ID..."
    "ma vule teva maar gul nol naya"

Quote Originally Posted by bobx001
    Will give it a shot.
    It's a bit ugly out of the box, by ugly I mean it looks like the 90's fashion of when it was created, but don't let that put you off, add a theme, get your key shortcuts setup as you like (especially for switching workspaces) and you'll find it extremely fast and functional.

What's your thoughts on MATE or Cinnamon? I know both are heaver, but are they any better than GNOME 3 or Xfce?

I'm not overly familiar with most of them, I quite like the idea of Cinnamon though because out of the box it's vary familiar for Windows users, not particularly useful for myself and I'd prefer people invested some time rethinking how they use a computer... but useful for new Windows->Linux converts. Gnome & KDE or anything overly heavy I'll rule out as a matter of principal. Mate/XFCE I've had a few issues trying to use, but at very first glance they seem OK, again pretty Windows ish though with the top and/or bottom bars.

Thanks for the advice again 8)

There was a GNOME update today, ok so far...
    I still looking at MATE and may be give XFCE another try. If I still was having problems I was going Linux Mint Xfce which looks good out of the box.

I still think LXQt might be a better choice, since Krita is Qt 5 based and from what I've read Lubuntu can use any software in Ubuntu's repository. It should be like that for Fedora LXQt too?

I wished Fedora had great default themes like Mint & Korora has. It makes it so much easier for us noobs reading about themes gone wrong.

The Extensions that tames GNOME for me are: Tweak Tool, Dash to Doc, TaskBar (Choose the 2nd one).

Plasma 5 is actually better on resources now but if it were me, I'd opt for MATE of the two choices. Both XFCE and MATE can of course be customised to your own specific needs. However, MATE is GTK+3 these days so anything that will run in GNOME 3 should also be fine with MATE.

LXQt isn't something I'd consider as a main DE just yet, it still has the feel of an alpha.

Thanks for the advice mate
    I see lots of positive reviews for both Xfce & MATE.

Can I install & remove MATE DE with GNOME 3 Fedora Design Suite without any problems?

I have played around with LXDE on Lubuntu Live DVD a while back and liked it.
    Last edited by EastTexas; 17th January 2018 at 06:01 AM.

You can add any additional desktop environment you like, choose between them on the login screen

Thanks, I didn't want to start a DE GNOME Wars on a computer far, far away...