f27 Seems unstable
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

f27 Seems unstable (Solved)

Been running F27 for about 2 or 3 weeks now and it seems to be very unstable on my Dell Laptop (Latitude E6510). Here are some examples of what I mean:

1. When it goes to sleep when I close the top, it takes 20 seconds or more to wake back up and let me sign in, and some times it stays black screen and never lets me log in. Does the same thing on another laptop I have as well.
    2. When I try to watch movies like youtube or "Catch Magazine" the movie stops for several seconds frequently. This on both Chrome and Firefox.
    3. At boot time it sometimes doesn't mount drives in the /etc/fstab file. I have to do a mount -a

Just three of the things I have found that make this release a little "spooky" for me. To the point that I am looking to find the F26 iso to I can roll back to that release. It seemed pretty stable on my hardware. If I can't find it i'll probably go with CentOS for a few months until F27 has a chance to mature.
    Last edited by ov10fac; 23rd December 2017 at 04:48 AM. Reason: Solved

Re: f27 Seems unstable

I have installed Fedora 27 on a desktop with an Asus mobo and intel Pentium G2120, a HP i3 Pavilion laptop and another desktop with an i5 cpu and an Intel motherboard.
    On all three, Fedora is quite stable and I have seen none of the problems you describe. I assume you compared the checksums of your
    iso with those on the Fedora download page and I also assume you have updated with dnf regularly.

I did have problems on the desktop with
    the Asus motherboard with suspend: the system seemed to suspend but would not resume (this happened also with Archlinux on the same
    machine; Arch did resume but the cursor was frozen). Then I read somewhere that drivers for usb were interfering with suspend so I pulled
    all my usb devices from the machine (all except for my wifi dongle) and that seemed to solve the problem.

One thing I have done that seems to help is to go back to Gnome Classic. Seems to be running much faster and smoother. I'll play with classic for a while and see what it does.

Have you tried xfce4? It runs nicely on my systems and it is supposed to use less resources than gnome (even gnome classic).

Quote Originally Posted by donatom
    Have you tried xfce4? It runs nicely on my systems and it is supposed to use less resources than gnome (even gnome classic).
    I second that, I would stay away from wayland until they have had the new reinvented wheel running a few billion kms on it.
    Xfce spin, or LXDE, both seem to r0x0r on most of my hardware, the only thing that does not like Fedora is my RKM36S, which has Debian installed (good ole' 3.6 kernel)

However, I have had to add the resume=GUID=........................ (swap) on my /etc/default/grub on all my boxes , to get them to suspend-resume, or hibernate-resume properly. Also I did notice that some of them suspend good, but don't hibernate, and some hibernate well but won't suspend. Odd, but yeah, it does happen. if you want I can post an expose of them here. (uname -a , /etc/fstab, /etc/defaullt/grub , etc)
    "monsters John ... monsters from the ID..."
    "ma vule teva maar gul nol naya"

Quote Originally Posted by bobx001
    However, I have had to add the resume=GUID=........................ (swap) on my /etc/default/grub on all my boxes
    Does this help with suspend-resume or is it only for hibernate?

if you want I can post an expose of them here. (uname -a , /etc/fstab, /etc/defaullt/grub , etc)
    Yes, please do. The more information, the better. When I have problems with suspend, it irritates the heck out of me.

Does this help with suspend-resume or is it only for hibernate?

Yes, please do. The more information, the better. When I have problems with suspend, it irritates the heck out of me.
    OK, first you should know that ALL of my stuff has SELinux disabled.

OK, first case:
    Code:
     Laptop - LXDE/LXDM/Xorg - hibernate-resume works fine, but suspend-resume somehow forgets the truecrypt mount (have not tried it with a LUKS or cryptsetup mount), and locks up the machine when trying to do file ops in that partition, hard reboot necessary.
    Message from syslogd@blackvaio at Dec 22 04:46:59 ...
     kernel:watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#2 stuck for 22s! [kworker/2:1:3216]

[root@blackvaio ~]# uname -a
    Linux blackvaio 4.13.13-300.fc27.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Nov 15 15:47:50 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    [root@blackvaio ~]# cat /etc/fstab

#
    # /etc/fstab
    # Created by anaconda on Tue Nov 21 18:04:08 2017
    #
    # Accessible filesystems, by reference, are maintained under '/dev/disk'
    # See man pages fstab(5), findfs(8), mount(8) and/or blkid(8) for more info
    #
    UUID=78307018-239b-4cc0-b9ae-8abeb9ec0965 /                       ext4    defaults        1 1
    UUID=6f31285f-9caa-48bf-b023-a0a4ae337150 swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
    [root@blackvaio ~]# cat /etc/default/grub
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="$(sed 's, release .*$,,g' /etc/system-release)"
    GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
    GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU=true
    GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT="console"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rhgb resume=UUID=6f31285f-9caa-48bf-b023-a0a4ae337150"
    GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"
    (remember that to make the changes in /etc/default/grub work, you need to execute [grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg])

Second case:
    Code:
     Laptop - Xfce/LXDM/Xorg - Suspend-resume works perfect, Hibernate does not work (it goes into hibernate, but it boots up to a fresh boot)
    [root@bobx ~]# uname -a
    Linux bobx 4.13.15-300.fc27.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Nov 21 21:10:22 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    cat /etc/fstab

#                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
    # /etc/fstab                                                                                                                                                                                                       
    # Created by anaconda on Tue Nov 21 21:39:21 2017                                                                                                                                                                  
    #                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
    #                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
    UUID=659318ac-02d6-44b2-a1c0-0edd551a2bb1 /                       ext4    defaults        1 1                                                                                                                      
    UUID=33dc0070-091c-48f3-b3db-3039f053bf33 swap                    swap    defaults        0 0   
    cat /etc/default/grub                                                                                                                                                                               
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=5                                                                                                                                                                                                     
    GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rd.md.uuid=88477c5d:5d8f3852:a8057b88:b8b24da2 rd.md.uuid=ffe6a725:75b260ed:7965eedf:1fa2bb75 rhgb quiet"

I will try now, on this machine, to add the resume=GUID.... in the grub. Here we go:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rd.md.uuid=88477c5d:5d8f3852:a8057b88:b8b24da2 rd.md.uuid=ffe6a725:75b260ed:7965eedf:1fa2bb75 resume=UUID=33dc0070-091c-48f3-b3db-3039f053bf33 rhgb quiet"
    grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
    Generating grub configuration file ...
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.13.15-300.fc27.x86_64
    Found initrd image: /boot/initramfs-4.13.15-300.fc27.x86_64.img
    done

reboot once, then try suspend and hibernate, now it works PERFECT for both.
    Thirs case:
    Code:
     Laptop - Xfce/LXDM/Xorg - Hibernate-resume works perfect, Suspend-resume does not work, it looks like it goes into suspend, as the orange light starts pulsating like in all the other comps, however, resuming it boots to a fresh login screen.

uname -a
    Linux violetvaio 4.13.15-300.fc27.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Nov 21 21:10:22 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    cat /etc/fstab

#
    # /etc/fstab
    # Created by anaconda on Mon Mar  6 16:22:54 2017
    #
    #
    UUID=17bd5ca3-6720-49bc-812d-80e1cd078492 /                       ext4    defaults        1 1
    UUID=59e78c60-00ef-42fd-a144-e88c37529028 swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
    cat /etc/default/grub
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
    GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rhgb resume=UUID=59e78c60-00ef-42fd-a144-e88c37529028"

this is what I see in dmesg after boot:
    [    4.274665] PM: Starting manual resume from disk
    [    4.274685] PM: Hibernation image partition 8:1 present
    [    4.274686] PM: Looking for hibernation image.
    [    4.276085] PM: Image not found (code -22)
    [    4.276087] PM: Hibernation image not present or could not be loaded.

EDIT: (Funny that it calls it Hibernation image, but what I did is a suspend)
    Last edited by bobx001; 22nd December 2017 at 05:27 AM.

bobx001,
    Thanks for all the info. As far as having selinux disabled, have you tried hibernate/suspend and resume when selinux was in enforce mode?

My desktop use is a hobby system. Some time back I had problems with resume and suspend. I cured by problem by overallocating swap. For my 8 gig ram system, I just decided to set swap to 10gigs. (I have terrabyte disks, and I hardly use more than 50gigs on my 128 gig ssd. so 20% overallocation was or is not a big deal). But in so doing, my suspend problem disappeared.

I have not bothered with hibernate but I researched it and the grub.defaults need a line therein to point to a separate swap partition. I don't have enough details about this latter recommendation for grub2.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

OK, I solved the problem. Turns out it was the fstab. I was doing a lot of mapping and (I can't prove it definitively) I think things were getting hosed. I change to just mounting two remote drives, and then creasting links to what I needed and things are running much better. Booting is faster, and no more long delay from sleep. Thanks for everyone's input.

Before closing this, can you please report what you did with
    Code:
    /etc/fstab
    to fix the resume from suspend issue? I have this on both a laptop and a desktop install. It gets annoying to wait 15 seconds before being able to use the computer.

My fstab only has four entries: two are the root partition and the efi partition. The two remote drives are CIFS, and I'm guessing that is where the problem lies. Here are my entries.

Code:
    //10.0.5.8/USB_Drive /mnt/USB_Drive cifs credentials=.smbcredentials,vers=1.0,nofail,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,uid=mine,gid=mine 0 0
    //10.0.5.2/Movies /mnt/Movies cifs credentials=.smbcredentials,vers=1.0,nofail,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,=,uid=mine,gid=mine 0 0

I suspect that on resume, the system needs to do mostly housekeeping. It gets the disks re-spinning for the ones that were spinning at suspend, go to the internet to fixup the date/time, and if you had the web browser active, restarting the connections. I guess thereafter, it looks to see if there were "search" changes so to adjust the scan to pickup changes. The latter is used by Gnome to show the names of programs you might want to start as you begin typing the program's name.
    Leslie in Montreal

bobx001,
    Thanks for all the info. As far as having selinux disabled, have you tried hibernate/suspend and resume when selinux was in enforce mode?
    Negative. Since selinux is the first thing I disable after installation. (the word NSA in the history of selinux acts like an allergenic substance to me).

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoark
    Before closing this, can you please report what you did with
    Code:
    /etc/fstab
    to fix the resume from suspend issue? I have this on both a laptop and a desktop install. It gets annoying to wait 15 seconds before being able to use the computer.

My fstab only has four entries: two are the root partition and the efi partition. The two remote drives are CIFS, and I'm guessing that is where the problem lies. Here are my entries.

Code:
    //10.0.5.8/USB_Drive /mnt/USB_Drive cifs credentials=.smbcredentials,vers=1.0,nofail,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,uid=mine,gid=mine 0 0
    //10.0.5.2/Movies /mnt/Movies cifs credentials=.smbcredentials,vers=1.0,nofail,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,=,uid=mine,gid=mine 0 0
    What I did was delete all the entries except the two pointing to my media and files remote directories. I then created links to the folders I needed in my home directory. That seemed to solve the main issue. Still having other issues, but they may be hardware related.

I have no problems with suspend -- Using standard /etc/default/grub
    My simple swap file.

Code:
    #
    # /etc/fstab
    # Created by anaconda on Wed Dec 13 19:21:56 2017
    #
    #
    #<file system>                             <mount>    <type>   <options>         <dmp fsck> <xref>       <label>
    UUID=9cd9debe-513e-4f53-927e-96aace4161cd  /          ext4     defaults,noatime    1  1     #/dev/sde4   sde4Slash
    UUID=8c3212c9-8ee7-473e-acd2-e61f2575b397  /backup    xfs      defaults,noatime    0  0     #/dev/sda1   sdabackup
    UUID=366b8173-cc35-4f50-bce1-d4006c20af8e  /boot      ext4     defaults,noatime    1  2     #/dev/sde3   sde3Boot
    UUID=75004a31-0342-4355-9e2c-b154a5bf5fe6  /home      xfs      defaults,noatime    1  2     #/dev/sde6   sde6home
    #UID=a7e41d0b-8a97-4502-b575-ba3bb927a406  swap       swap     defaults,noatime    0  0     #/dev/sde5   sde5Swap
    UUID=8c4f2869-74a2-4b9d-a1ed-2c9d9968c54c  /scratch   ext4     defaults,noatime    0  0     #/dev/sdc1   sdc1Scratch
    UUID=bd036c4e-3ea4-4267-8886-72cb5eeff5c7  swap       swap     defaults,noatime    0  0     #/dev/sdd8   SwapforSSD
    I wrote a fstab formatter xref program. Free just for asking. I pickup the label info that was entered by anaconda or gparted.
    Leslie in Montreal

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast