FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Emergency mode save .txt - no way to list disks

blkid, in emergency mode, just worked for me a few minutes ago (F27) - so apparently what happens in emergency mode depends on your hardware? In emergency mode, blkid shows all hard drive partitions for me, but does not show a USB drive I have plugged in all the time. In multi-user mode, blkid shows that USB drive also.

In emergency mode, I mounted a root directory, did chroot to it, and tried lsblk - it found the command, but gave another error, "failed to access sysfs dir".

Or maybe not all "emergency modes" are equal? Some are more "complete" than others, due to whatever problem caused the emergency mode in the first place? I tested on a normally functioning system, booting into emergency mode by adding "rd.emergency" to the boot line, so maybe I'm working with a more complete emergency mode?

Maybe.
    My Emergency mode number 1 (Fedoras stopped just working - all of them - and gets looped for longer while on some unspecified volume) wants me to CTRL-D, or see journalctl. Nothing about rdsosreport.
    My Emergency mode number 2 (can't install both on my own PC, or laptop - both are SandyBridge machines, with very picky/weaky UEFI BIOSes, personally I presume there's something wrong with NVRAMs there - regarding to UEFI boot devices, which newest Fedora can't process properly) wants me to see journalctl or rdsosreport.

blkid /dev/* is available in emergency mode. When I have to fix up a /etc/fstab, I copy fstab to /tmp
    I run blkid /dev/sd?* >>/tmp/fstab. I do the corrections or additions, and cleanup, and then copy back the updated fstab to /etc. If you are creating a new entry for a directory, don't forget to insure that the mount point actually exists.
    Example follows:
    blkid /dev/sdb* | grep Scratch >>/tmp/fstab adds the following line
    /dev/sdb8: LABEL="sdb8Scratch" UUID="167cccaf-9d48-41b8-bfe2-1120318ebcc8" TYPE="ext4" PARTLABEL="sdb8scratch" PARTUUID="96e69e16-8206-4c5c-923c-dc80028b4dc1"

Within the /tmp/fstab I manipulate the /dev/sdb8 line as follows, adding the mount point after the UUID=

UUID=167cccaf-9d48-41b8-bfe2-1120318ebcc8
    /scratch ext4 defaults 0 0

I also make sure that root (/) has a /scratch defined, or the reboot will fail.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2