dnf can be unnecessarily complicated
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Unhappy dnf can be unnecessarily complicated

I just spent about 30 minutes figuring out how to "remove" a no longer needed repository. There is no easily recognized dnf command to do so, even with extensive review and re-reviews of the dnf man page.

I did finally find the answer buried within the config-manager dnf subcommand: dnf config-manager --disable-repo <repoid>

What a pain!

Tim

Re: dnf can be unnecessarily complicated

Tim,
    Did you try "man dnf" or "info dnf"? removing a repository is not necessary. The repositories are stored in /etc/yum.repos.d
    vi the target repositories and change lines with enabled to
    enabled=0

That tells dnf and dnfdragora, to skip over this repository
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

I was using "man dnf". Does it have an info page? If so, that is awesome! So many things do not that I've almost stopped trying info.

And how was I supposed to find the information to edit /etc/yum.repos.d? Even with all my searching, I never came across anything like that.

BTW, the solution I found was in the full documentation for dnf, i.e., https://docs.fedoraproject.org/f27/s...ement/DNF.html

I suppose I'm just too much of a Fedora newbie; I've been using it since February. But, I've been managing UNIX systems since 1981 or so, and other Linux distros for well more than 10 years.

Tim

PS - I wanted to remove the repo because it apparently no longer exists, and it was nagging me about it every time I ran dnf.

Tim

i take the sledgehammer approach. the directory /etc/yum.repos.d contains all the repo files, so I just delete the offending *.repo file as it has the same effect. It's easier than messing about with config-manager and remembering which command to type

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    i take the sledgehammer approach. the directory /etc/yum.repos.d contains all the repo files, so I just delete the offending *.repo file as it has the same effect. It's easier than messing about with config-manager and remembering which command to type
    Ok, I can agree with that, but one can only do it if one knows about it.

Tim

Just edit the offending repro, and change the "enabled=1 to enabled=0 within the repro. By the way, that is what dnf does via the dnf command
    If ever you wanted it enabled for some specific update, reverse the enabled=0 value.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Quote Originally Posted by tim8723
    And how was I supposed to find the information to edit /etc/yum.repos.d? Even with all my searching, I never came across anything like that.
    The FILES section at the bottom of the manual mentions the repository configuration directory.

I found a more sensible solution than a sledgehammer ...

http://dnf.readthedocs.io/en/latest/...fying-packages

Failing to match the input argument to an existing package name based on the patterns above, DNF tries to see if the argument matches an existing provide.
    So let us try

Code:
    [root@linux ~]# dnf remove /boot/vmlinuz-4.14.6-300.fc27.x86_64
    Dependencies resolved.
    ==========================================================================================================================================================================
     Package                                         Arch                              Version                                      Repository                           Size
    ==========================================================================================================================================================================
    Removing:
     kernel-core                                     x86_64                            4.14.6-300.fc27                              @updates                             55 M
    Removing dependent packages:
     kernel                                          x86_64                            4.14.6-300.fc27                              @updates                              0  
     kernel-modules                                  x86_64                            4.14.6-300.fc27                              @updates                             24 M
     kernel-modules-extra                            x86_64                            4.14.6-300.fc27                              @updates                            2.0 M

Transaction Summary
    Remove  4 Packages                                                                                                                                                        

Freed space: 81 M                                                                                                                                                         
    Is this ok [y/N]:                                                                                                                                                         
    Operation aborted.                                                                                                                                                        
    [root@linux ~]#
    or applied to repos

Code:
    [root@linux ~]# dnf remove /etc/yum.repos.d/rpmfusion-free.repo
    Dependencies resolved.
     Package                                            Arch                               Version                          Repository                                   Size
    Removing:
     rpmfusion-free-release                             noarch                             27-1                             @rpmfusion-free                             8.7 k

Transaction Summary
    Remove  1 Package

Freed space: 8.7 k
    Is this ok [y/N]: 
    Operation aborted.
    [root@linux ~]#
    I don't want to test it now, but it should remove the repo cleanly.

Best regards,
    Bequimão

Thank you, Bequimão

Tim