FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Fedora 27 on AMD Ryzen Mobile (HP X360 2-in-1 Laptop)

My Athlon 5350 system handles VM installs just fine whether running them from Windows or Linux as host OS. It's not overly powerful but it is a true quad core SoC and I've paired it with 8GB of RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by pingwu
    I am definitely not recommending this for everyone, but b/c the Ryzen Mobile is such a powerful chip, I have been running UbuntuMate 16.04.3, fully upgraded, in Windows 10 via VirtualBox 5.2.4 (with guest additions).

I allocated half of the resources (4/8 CPUs and 4/8 GB DDR) for the VM. When switched to the full-screen mode, it's almost like running Linux desktop on the bare metal. Since this is a VM, I don't have to worry about hardware compatibility. Battery life is actually better than running Fedora/UbuntuMate on most of our Intel-based laptops.
    I was thinking about going this route but ran into issues with VirtualBox. Instead I'm going to try Rawhide and boot from a USB disk to see if they have functionality there yet. I actually ran VirtualBox for years on my Mac and never had an issue so I'm not sure if I'm having Windows or VM problems.

I have no problem running Fedora 27 in Windows 10 via VirtualBox 5.2.4. Below is a screenshot of running F27 in this machine:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot from 2017-12-29 14-11-50.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	140.0 KB 
ID:	29300

This system is quite snappy. It's just that I am a recent Fedora-convert, and wanted to test the system that I am more familiar with, which is Ubuntu.

<edit> This screenshot is probably more authentic (non-full-screen mode):

Name:	fedora27 in Windows.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	29301

Actually this is more like an "authentic fake", b/c it's not a Fedora 27 running directly on this new machine, but a Fedora VM running inside a running Windows. (& I am only using 50% of the resources*.)

* This concern can be somewhat ameliorated by choosing a computer with at least 20~30% better performance, while at the same price point. This is one of the aspects that the Ryzen Mobile chips can come in I guess. But as a hardcore Linux addict, I want to squeeze every juice from the machine that I paid.
    Last edited by pingwu; 30th December 2017 at 08:19 PM.

For those Linux desktop enthusiasts who are interested in exploring the "very first" AMD Ryzen Mobile laptop, I have got good news. At least for now anyway.

After downloading & installing the amdgpu-pro 17.50 video driver, I am able to run Ubuntu 16.04.3, fully upgraded, on this AMD Ryzen Mobile 2-in-1 laptop in FHD mode. Actually Linux runs snappier than the native Windows 10.

However, there is at least one glitch -- I can't find driver for the built-in Realtek 0bda:b00b wifi chipset. Currently, I am using an external USB wifi adaptor. Any suggestion to make the built-in wifi work will be appreciated. Aldo, the touch screen does not work.

My main concern, however, is that the amdgpu-pro driver is a proprietary driver*. I might have to hold my breath when I upgrade the kernel.

Still waiting for the open-sourced in-kernel amdgpu driver to work on this machine. And the wifi driver, too. I don't really care much about touch screen.

* I had to disable secure boot in order to install it.

<Edit> Based on our previous experience with the Carrizo chips, it didn't take long for amdgpu to catch up with the amdgpu-pro. Hope this will also be the case. We will also continue to try the Rawhide every once in a while.

Also a jpg file is better than 1000 words:

Name:	IMG_20180101_221845640.resized.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	29305

<Edit2> So far this machine appears to be noticeably snappier than our Dell XPS 13 (Intel i7), but at a substantially lower price. It's amazing what a good & Linux-cooperating video chip can do. With the Ryzen Mobile chips, Maybe we can have a real crack at the world domination of Linux desktops!
    Last edited by pingwu; 2nd January 2018 at 06:16 PM.

This is good news as it means full functionality isn't far away.

As for Virtual Box I managed to screw up Fedroa 27 on that VM, no idea what happened but will have to reinstall. It freezes at: [OK] Started Hostname Serivce.

I might just try a rawhide install to the VM. On another note so far I haven't gotten a successful boot of Rawhide-live at all That includes a download today from the RAWHIDE repositories.
    For those Linux desktop enthusiasts who are interested in exploring the "very first" AMD Ryzen Mobile laptop, I have got good news. At least for now anyway.

After downloading & installing the amdgpu-pro 17.50 video driver, I am able to run Ubuntu 16.04.3, fully upgraded, on this AMD Ryzen Mobile 2-in-1 laptop in FHD mode. Actually Linux runs snappier than the native Windows 10.
    Not a Ubuntu fan so not sure if that is viable for me. In any event what does FHD mode mean?

However, there is at least one glitch -- I can't find driver for the built-in Realtek 0bda:b00b wifi chipset. Currently, I am using an external USB wifi adaptor. Any suggestion to make the built-in wifi work will be appreciated. Aldo, the touch screen does not work.

My main concern, however, is that the amdgpu-pro driver is a proprietary driver*. I might have to hold my breath when I upgrade the kernel.
    I wouldn't get too concerned, I figure there will be at least a year of updates as both drivers get updated to fully take advantage of the chip sets. I know the expectation is significant gains for many existing AMD GPU's as they refine the driver sets.
    Still waiting for the open-sourced in-kernel amdgpu driver to work on this machine. And the wifi driver, too. I don't really care much about touch screen.
    Speaking of WiFi, what model USB adapter are you using? I could see myself needing such if the native driver takes a while getting here. Frankly I've never used one before as I've never been this bleeding edge.
    * I had to disable secure boot in order to install it.

<Edit> Based on our previous experience with the Carrizo chips, it didn't take long for amdgpu to catch up with the amdgpu-pro. Hope this will also be the case. We will also continue to try the Rawhide every once in a while.

Also a jpg file is better than 1000 words:

Name:	IMG_20180101_221845640.resized.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	29305

<Edit2> So far this machine appears to be noticeably snappier than our Dell XPS 13 (Intel i7), but at a substantially lower price. It's amazing what a good & Linux-cooperating video chip can do. With the Ryzen Mobile chips, Maybe we can have a real crack at the world domination of Linux desktops!
    I will continue to play around with Linux on this machine but I must say Some Windows features are working really well after all the updates I've been thru in the last few days. The video ID login really improved with the last update and frankly it is a nice feature. I have to wonder if anyone at Fedora is working on something similar. It is just too bad Windows is so clunky and ill formed that nobody wants to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard69
    As for Virtual Box I managed to screw up Fedroa 27 on that VM, no idea what happened but will have to reinstall. It freezes at: [OK] Started Hostname Serivce.
    To make sure that my previous installation was not a fluke, I deleted and reinstalled Fedora 27 VM. Everything went quite smoothly, plse see the attached screenshot, which shows that it is Fedora 27 that is running, and that the system has been upgraded to Linux kernel 4.14:

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	188.5 KB 
ID:	29314

The screenshot was taken b/f I installed the Guest Additions. To install GA in F27, I needed to install the elfutils-libelf-devel package.

<Edit> (I can't run F27 VM from a USB stick. I believe Windows still has write problems with ext4 filesystem; when formatted into ntfs, the VM keeps crashing. Will greatly appreciate it if anyone has any suggestions.)

Main highlights of this F27 VM include:

4 GB DDR; 4 CPU; 64 MB video RAM; 3D acceleration enabled; everything else was pretty much according to the default. FHD (Full HD) means 1920 x 1080, the resolution of the monitor. W/o the amdgpu-pro driver, I was only able to get 800 x 600.

Speaking of WiFi, what model USB adapter are you using? I could see myself needing such if the native driver takes a while getting here. Frankly I've never used one before as I've never been this bleeding edge.
    Belkin ME1001-usb--I have had it for about 5 yrs. ~$5 USD @ amazon. At times this little gadget can be very handy. The wifi driver was built into the kernel, strictly a plug-and-play & connection was instant. Once we get the video card out of the way, this is the kind of wifi adaptor we should demand.

<Edit> Fedora 27 doesn't work on this machine (at least not yet), mainly b/c the amdgpu pro driver is not compatible with Xorg 1.19. I may try F24 or CentOS 7.4 when I get time, but I am really not interested in using a proprietary video driver. This would defeat the whole purpose of using the Ryzen Mobile machine, at least as far as I am concerned. So far running Fedora 27 inside VBox is not as bad as I initially felt.
    Last edited by pingwu; 5th January 2018 at 07:50 PM.

To make sure that my previous installation was not a fluke, I deleted and reinstalled Fedora 27 VM. Everything went quite smoothly, plse see the attached screenshot, which shows that it is Fedora 27 that is running, and that the system has been upgraded to Linux kernel 4.14:
    I got Fedora running again in the VM, in fact installing updates and apps right now. The messed up installation is all on me. However the latest Rawhide did not run (couple of days ago)

The screenshot was taken b/f I installed the Guest Additions. To install GA in F27, I needed to install the elfutils-libelf-devel package.

<Edit> (I can't run F27 VM from a USB stick. I believe Windows still has write problems with ext4 filesystem; when formatted into ntfs, the VM keeps crashing. Will greatly appreciate it if anyone has any suggestions.)
    I did try running rawhide from a USB stick, actually booting from the stick and it didn't work so I don't think this is a Windows problem.

Main highlights of this F27 VM include:

4 GB DDR; 4 CPU; 64 MB video RAM; 3D acceleration enabled; everything else was pretty much according to the default. FHD (Full HD) means 1920 x 1080, the resolution of the monitor. W/o the amdgpu-pro driver, I was only able to get 800 x 600.

Belkin ME1001-usb--I have had it for about 5 yrs. ~$5 USD @ amazon. At times this little gadget can be very handy. The wifi driver was built into the kernel, strictly a plug-and-play & connection was instant. Once we get the video card out of the way, this is the kind of wifi adaptor we should demand.
    I need a USB based WiFi adapter anyways so will take a look.

<Edit> Fedora 27 doesn't work on this machine (at least not yet), mainly b/c the amdgpu pro driver is not compatible with Xorg 1.19. I may try F24 or CentOS 7.4 when I get time, but I am really not interested in using a proprietary video driver. This would defeat the whole purpose of using the Ryzen Mobile machine, at least as far as I am concerned. So far running Fedora 27 inside VBox is not as bad as I initially felt.
    I wouldn't get too concerned about which video driver works at the moment, I'm finding that a lot of software is too old for this chip. It simply will take some time to get everything working to expected levels. An example on the Windows side is ITunes which didn't grasp that the processor has a fully capable CPU.

PingWu, as crazy as this may sound Rawhide started up for me in the VM just after posting the message above. I DNF'ed an upgrade and at this point have Rawhide running in a VM with the latest Rawhide kernel I'm not sure why the same install of Rawhide would crash on me the other day. So after the upgrade it looks to be stable in this environment. If I can find the time I will see if I can get it to boot the latest rawhide this weekend.

This sort of reminds me of running Redhat 4 way way back in the day. A combination of frustration trying to get things to work and a great sense of accomplishment when you figure it out;

I've been using Rawhide on a real (non vm) system for about 6 weeks. When I started, there were not many applications converted or made available from F27 or rpmfusion. However, there is a lot of work being done on rawhide and it looks to be a good pending release.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Quote Originally Posted by EastTexas
    I stopped evil M$ from forcing their 'Spyware OS' on me, so I dumped 'em and switched to Fedora Linux, Full-Time
    I'm proud to say, W10 never touched my HD and never will!

GNU Recommends Ditching Everything Microsoft!
    AMEN ! , that's the way, I don't even let them boot ! lol
    "monsters John ... monsters from the ID..."
    "ma vule teva maar gul nol naya"

Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein
    I've been using Rawhide on a real (non vm) system for about 6 weeks. When I started, there were not many applications converted or made available from F27 or rpmfusion. However, there is a lot of work being done on rawhide and it looks to be a good pending release.
    To be honest I'd rather not install Rawhide as I prefer something more stable but I'm trying to get something bootable from the Fedora/Redhat/Rawhide world. I'm actually trying things out via a USB thumb drive and am hoping that isn't the reason for my boot failures. I suspect our problems are due to the very new nature of the APU, being that it is an AMD Ryzen Mobile available on just one machine at the moment. I hope support arrives soon but understand the nature of bleeding edge hardware.

I got some time off coming up, maybe I will get to play with Fedora or Rawhide. Time is why I prefer a solution.

I have three Fedoras on my Desktop box. Current day to day use is F27 with Gnome, current F27 KDE, and a test Rawhide. I would not run Rawhide as my day-to-day system, but it nice to see what's coming and what's of concern to the developers. In a way, when Rawhide becomes current, I have a good idea of the new facilities and are able to enjoy the new Fedora, when it is released.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein
    I have three Fedoras on my Desktop box. Current day to day use is F27 with Gnome, current F27 KDE, and a test Rawhide. I would not run Rawhide as my day-to-day system, but it nice to see what's coming and what's of concern to the developers. In a way, when Rawhide becomes current, I have a good idea of the new facilities and are able to enjoy the new Fedora, when it is released.
    Desktop systems aren't a problem, it is the Ryzen Mobile chip that is has yet to be fully supported by the distros. Under Windows I'm running both Fedora 27 and Rawhide fine. The trouble right now is to get the machine to boot from one of these. I'm using an external USB thumb drive as I don't want install internally until I know a distro will work properly but I'm really wondering if this is part of my problem.

Desktop systems aren't a problem, it is the Ryzen Mobile chip that is has yet to be fully supported by the distros. Under Windows I'm running both Fedora 27 and Rawhide fine. The trouble right now is to get the machine to boot from one of these. I'm using an external USB thumb drive as I don't want install internally until I know a distro will work properly but I'm really wondering if this is part of my problem.
    As I mentioned previously, I am able to run Ubuntu 16.04.3 on the Ryzen Mobile machine with full HD video resolution. I didn't mention that the Ubuntu system was installed on an external USB stick. But b/c the amdgpu-pro driver does not yet support Xorg 1.19, I don't think it would be productive to try to install Fedora 26/27 on this machine. Not yet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2