FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Fedora 27 on AMD Ryzen Mobile Envy X360 2-in-1 Laptop)

It's near the year end and we found there was some money in the budget that we must spend. So we went ahead and bought a new AMD Ryzen Mobile laptop, which is an HP x360 2-in-1 & which just came out about a month ago.

I tried running Fedora 26 and 27 (LiveUSB) on it. Booting was successful in both cases and ran pretty fast, but the resolution was limited to 800x600 & there was no wifi.

This Ryzen Mobile chip is a hybrid Ryzen + Vega, probably still too new for the in-kernel amdgpu to catch up.

We are not expected to have time to do any further work on this machine, but if anyone could suggest a bootable & downable iso with more recent kernel, I will be very happy to try it. Thanks in advance!

It's great to see AMD chips on a 2-in-1 machine!
    Last edited by pingwu; 2nd January 2018 at 10:04 AM.

Re: Fedora 27 on AMD Ryzen Mobile (HP X360 2-in-1 Laptop)

tried rawhide and ubuntu 18.04 daily built this machine is too new.

still, suggestions will be appreciated.

Have you tried Manjaro Xfce 17.x? It's a easy to use rolling release based arch. I think a noob like could even use it
    Xfce is better for mobile from what I read.

I remember when we bought our Carrizo laptop (AMD A12), we were in a similar predicament--low reso video and no wifi. It took two "point changes" (from Ubuntu 16.04.1 to 16.04.3) for things to become normal.

At the present time, there is probably nothing we can do--probably just be patient and use this brand new hardware to hone Windows 10 skills.

BTW Win10 works really great on the Ryzen Mobile; look forward to running Linux desktops on it!

I stopped evil M$ from forcing their 'Spyware OS' on me, so I dumped 'em and switched to Fedora Linux, Full-Time
    I'm proud to say, W10 never touched my HD and never will!

GNU Recommends Ditching Everything Microsoft!

For long time Linux users, myself included (over 20 yrs), we all long for the day when we can completely avoid Windows.

Hopefully, the in-kernel amdgpu driver (& the associated new generation of amd gpu/apu) will be a good start.

it is already possible to avoid windows but doing so usually means staying a generation of hardware behind (or 6 months - whichever happens first). Ryzen mobile is something I'm keeping an eye on. In the next few months the new Mobile APU (shortly followed by the Desktop version) containing on die Vega architecture based GPU will begin populating the distribution channels in 2018 specification machines. you already have one of the earliest models from hp

As I mentioned in the beginning, our HP x360 2-in-1 is the first (and only) laptop that uses the new Ryzen Mobile chip. Visitors of this Forum will be among the first to know when there is any status change.

Also, hardware delay is really not the main reason impeding wide adaptation of Linux desktops--most of us business users don't go out and buy the newest hardware anyway*. The main culprit is that the proprietary video drivers really suck. Sucks, not only in performance/stability, also often the dreadful booting problems.

* This "fresh out of the oven" HP x360 is an exception, our main purpose actually was to see how long it will take for us to run Linux on it.

tu your have withe bootparameter xforcevesa booting or nomodeset

Are there any updates to getting Linux running on Ryzen and more specifically this laptop. Im asking because one i want to support AMD and two this laptop is snappy and appears to be an excellent value. However Linux appears to be a no go at the moment.

Fedora is my first choice but other distros would be considered. I just want to see a confirmed install with most of the machine working.

We are planning to test Ubuntu 16.04.3 (fully upgraded) with amdgpu-pro 17.50, on this new laptop machine, but don't put the hopes too high just yet.

As I reported in another thread:

https://forums.fedoraforum.org/showt...n-Ryzen-7-1700

we have another AMD Ryzen 7 1700 + RX 550 (desktop) machine; & Fedora 26/27, with the in-kernel amdgpu driver, runs really smooth on this desktop machine. Knock on wood! At least as far as Linux desktops go, this machine is way better than any Intel i7 machines that we have. Having used Linux desktops for over 20 yrs, I am really excited! As a fully committed Linux user, it has been a very frustrating 20+ yrs; Intel and Nvidia GPU suck in different ways. And the pre-gcn.1.2-Radeon chips? Don't even mention it.

A bunch of Ryzen Mobile laptops are also supposed to come out early next year from various OEM vendors. Be patient, I know we are. I have waited more than 20 yrs for this moment, a few more months is nothing.
    Last edited by pingwu; 27th December 2017 at 07:32 PM.

Unfortunately im pressed for time due to MBP coming up missing (stolen). This particilar laptop caught my attention due to the AMD chip which has decent performance on the CPU side and a good enough GPU for my needs.

I want to support AMD but unfortunately i need something soon for mobile. Real soon actually. I was hoping for a Fedora install that doesn't require a lot of fuss

As for your indications with respect to the desktops that is indeed good news. A desktop upgrade is another issue i must deal with.

I guess i could run Windows for a month or two but im pretty much a Linux/UNIX man and might have a bad reaction to Windows. Frankly i hate to even be buying now as i know full well a bunch of new products are coming.

Quote Originally Posted by pingwu
    We are planning to test Ubuntu 16.04.3 (fully upgraded) with amdgpu-pro 17.50, on this new laptop machine, but don't put the hopes too high just yet.

As I reported in another thread:

https://forums.fedoraforum.org/showt...n-Ryzen-7-1700

we have another AMD Ryzen 7 1700 + RX 550 (desktop) machine; & Fedora 26/27, with the in-kernel amdgpu driver, runs really smooth on this desktop machine. Knock on wood! At least as far as Linux desktops go, this machine is way better than any Intel i7 machines that we have. Having used Linux desktops for over 20 yrs, I am really excited! As a fully committed Linux user, it has been a very frustrating 20+ yrs; Intel and Nvidia GPU suck in different ways. And the pre-gcn.1.2-Radeon chips? Don't even mention it.

A bunch of Ryzen Mobile laptops are also supposed to come out early next year from various OEM vendors. Be patient, I know we are. I have waited more than 20 yrs for this moment, a few more months is nothing.

I am definitely not recommending this for everyone, but b/c the Ryzen Mobile is such a powerful chip, I have been running UbuntuMate 16.04.3, fully upgraded, in Windows 10 via VirtualBox 5.2.4 (with guest additions).

I allocated half of the resources (4/8 CPUs and 4/8 GB DDR) for the VM. When switched to the full-screen mode, it's almost like running Linux desktop on the bare metal. Since this is a VM, I don't have to worry about hardware compatibility. Battery life is actually better than running Fedora/UbuntuMate on most of our Intel-based laptops.

Quote Originally Posted by pingwu
    I am definitely not recommending this for everyone, but b/c the Ryzen Mobile is such a powerful chip, I have been running UbuntuMate 16.04.3, fully upgraded, in Windows 10 via VirtualBox 5.2.4 (with guest additions).

I allocated half of the resources (4/8 CPUs and 4/8 GB DDR) for the VM. When switched to the full-screen mode, it's almost like running Linux desktop on the bare metal. Since this is a VM, I don't have to worry about hardware compatibility. Battery life is actually better than running Fedora/UbuntuMate on most of our Intel-based laptops.
    the same would work just as well with any Linux distribution. After experimentation with manjaro following advice posted on their forum, I've managed to get my notebook running as well on battery as it did with Windows. There are several modifications to make to the kernel boot parameters and tlp which are device specific. there's no mention in any of the threads about new ryzen mobile hardware, otherwise I'd link to it as the changes are not manjaro specific. what works with last generation AMD hardware may no longer apply. Even the Intel options vary depending on how old the UEFI firmware is, what generation processor is installed etc. tlp.conf has some useful notes in it which help to some extent though.

There is still quite a lot to be learned (at least for myself) about optimizing Linux VBox guest in a Windows 10 host. Right now I am limiting myself to relatively light-weight systems such as UbuntuMate. But you also need a somewhat powerful machine (this Ryzen Mobile 2-in-1 seems to fit the bill & it is not that expensive @ $~$700USD).

Although the results are surprisingly better than I expected (based on my previous experience of running VMs), I am not recommending this as a solution.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast