FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Fedora 27 on AMD Ryzen Mobile (HP X360 2-in-1 Laptop)

I've been looking at this machine and wanted to mention something for people who are running Linux in a VM until hardware support improves. You will get by far the best disk performance from your VM if you use a RAW disk format for the VM rather than a virtual disk like VHD, etc. What that means is that you need a free partition somewhere that you can use for the VM.

If you have a big enough system disk, you can shrink your Windows partition and use the freed up space for the new VM, just like in the old days of dual booting. Alternatively, you can buy an external SSD and use that. If you want to make it easily portable, make a small partition on the SSD (1 GB should be enough, I think) for the VM appliance files, and a second partition (RAW) for the system disk. Then you can plug in the SSD to any system running VirtualBox, import the appliance, and be running.

Quote Originally Posted by pingwu
    I tried Ubuntu 18.04 daily built, which just upgraded its kernel to 4.15, on this new machine. The liveUSB runs great, actually quite snappy. Wifi now works but still no touch screen.
    I tried this running off a USB thumb drive, it isn't perfect for me as I eventually loose touch pad tracking (no pointer control and sometimes no keyboard control at all. What is even more wierd is that I can only boot the installed image once and then it doesn't boot up again, stopping just like the Rawhide images. That is really strange and I haven't had time to look into it. Most likely I will just grab another nightly until things start to firm up.

However when it does run this really highlights just how nice the laptop will be once Linux stabilizes. In fact I'm very impressed as it is very snappy for Linux on a laptop. In some ways it works better than Windows already. Under Windows the track pad just doens't scroll right, even under alpha Linux it works well.

NOW A WORD OF WARING FOR OTHERS: Ubuntu will screw up your main disk installing grub to it even when you ask it not to. To say the least this pisses me off to no end and is just another reason to hate Ubuntu.
    Then I tried 2018-2-20 Rawhide. Won't boot.
    It makes me wonder what is going on with Fedora. It use to be my favorite distro and now I just don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard69

However when it does run this really highlights just how nice the laptop will be once Linux stabilizes. In fact I'm very impressed as it is very snappy for Linux on a laptop. In some ways it works better than Windows already. Under Windows the track pad just doens't scroll right, even under alpha Linux it works well.

NOW A WORD OF WARING FOR OTHERS: Ubuntu will screw up your main disk installing grub to it even when you ask it not to. To say the least this pisses me off to no end and is just another reason to hate Ubuntu.
    I would not bother with dual boot. Once Linux is solid on it, re-image with Linux and run Windows in a VM if you really need it.

Quote Originally Posted by robretdmunn
    I would not bother with dual boot. Once Linux is solid on it, re-image with Linux and run Windows in a VM if you really need it.
    I've done that with my notebook. It used to be dual boot but now I've got manjaro KDE configured how I want it and the notebook power management and hardware features are properly configured I have found I no longer have need for Windows at all on this hardware. I also have equally efficient power management now following advice on a few different forums and manuals. It was a nice learning experience to be fair and now I've got all the configuration information saved for future usage but a lot of it is specific to the particular hardware and OS combination.

Talking Re: Fedora 27 on AMD Ryzen Mobile (HP X360 2-in-1 Laptop)

At the present time, there is probably nothing we can do--probably just be patient and use this brand new hardware to hone Windows 10 skills.
    Uh . . . ya' know - speaking such words deserves your mouth be washed out with soap - jus' sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by robretdmunn
    I've been looking at this machine and wanted to mention something for people who are running Linux in a VM until hardware support improves. You will get by far the best disk performance from your VM if you use a RAW disk format for the VM rather than a virtual disk like VHD, etc. What that means is that you need a free partition somewhere that you can use for the VM.
    This is what I read:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Selection_017.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	29488

https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...les-vs-rawdisk

I have found that creating a vdi file on a fast USB3 flash gives very good performance.

Anyone with a Ryzen, you may want to read this discussion at bugzilla:
    https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=196683

Not to throw ice on the Ryzen, I absolutely love the cpu, and I've never had such power purring next to my desk !
    And I don't even think this "bug" affects laptops. But it does affect standard motherboards, and it boils down to the fact that when the CPU is idle, and the power consumption is at a minimum, the CPU can get starved off power and stutter. Basically a "keep alive" voltage issue, which the Motherboard manufacturers are now trying to solve with BIOS patches, etc.
    "monsters John ... monsters from the ID..."
    "ma vule teva maar gul nol naya"

I tried Ubuntu 18.04 daily built, which just upgraded its kernel to 4.15, on this new machine. The liveUSB runs great, actually quite snappy. Wifi now works but still no touch screen.

Then I tried 2018-2-20 Rawhide. Won't boot.
    Fedora 28 beta (in LiveUSB) boots beautifully from this machine.

Houston, we DON'T have a problem!!!

kernel 4.16 which F28 has supports Ryzen 2200G and 2400G as well if anyone has bought those.

Hear! Hear!

Looks like 4.16/F28 is shaping up very nicely, not the least of which also includes the fact that it now has the (open-sourced) VirtualBox GuestAdditions module built into the kernel.

Time to Make Linux (Desktops) Great--Finally!

The first 4.16 kernel for fedora 27 is building in koji as I type this. You may want to download it and give it a test drive.

dd_wizard

You should also read this post regarding host i/o caching:

https://www.electricmonk.nl/log/2016...k-performance/

I run a Windows 2008 Server VM on a macOS host with 16 GB RAM in the host machine, 4 GB RAM allocated to the VM, and ~200 GB VDI file for my VM disk. Using IO Caching, performance is better - until it isn't. macOS will be humming along for a little while, then all of a sudden it will start sucking wind. Once that happens, I basically have to close all running applications (including the VM), or reboot. I couldn't figure out what was going on until finally I realized that the IO caching in VBox was eventually causing my macOS swap space to balloon up to 2-3 GB, and everything just ground to a halt.

Now, not everyone is using their OS like I am. I work in the host OS and use VMs for servers to develop against. You might not find those problems in your particular situation, but it's worth noting that is a real issue that you don't have if you use raw disks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3