FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

FC27 - nouveau vs. nvidia rpmfusion/proprietary

OK, after several installs from scratch (always Xfce Spin), I can succesfully say that:

1. the main issue the Nvidia drivers have during installation, is the fact that the nouveau driver is almost impossible to blacklist/rmmod.

2. Do this in the following steps:
    a. install rpmfusion kmod-nvidia (you need dkms, kernel-devel and gcc) , that will add the necessary blacklist commands to the grub.
    b. disable systemd graphical target, change to multi-user target.
    c. reboot, you will see that the nouveau is still active (lsmod | grep nouveau will show the module ative, and lsmod | grep nvidia will show zilch).
    d. edit the /etc/default/grub and erase the "rhgb" command which is right before the quiet command.
    e. execute the grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
    f. reboot again

3. Doing an lsmod | grep nouveau will still show it, however, if your console is gone back to "large letters", it may mean that nouveau is not being used.

4. Once you properly accomplish that (step 2 and 3), then issuing an "rmmod nouveau" will most probably work, and that is the time you

5. then either re-install (dnf remove, dnf install) the rpmfusion kmod-nvidia , or run the proprietary installer (I chose the latter, which actually worked, as the nouveau was now out of commission).

anyway, that's my $0.02
    "monsters John ... monsters from the ID..."
    "ma vule teva maar gul nol naya"

Re: FC27 - nouveau vs. nvidia rpmfusion/proprietary

d. edit the /etc/default/grub and erase the "rhgb" command which is right before the quiet command.
    f. reboot again
    instead of rewriting the grub default config you can change grub boot for that test at boot, by hitting E on the grub entry and removing rhgb (redhat graphical boot), then ctrl+x or ctrl+f10 to launch

1. the main issue the Nvidia drivers have during installation, is the fact that the nouveau driver is almost impossible to blacklist/rmmod.

5. then either re-install (dnf remove, dnf install) the rpmfusion kmod-nvidia , or run the proprietary installer (I chose the latter, which actually worked, as the nouveau was now out of commission).
    wouldn't it be easier to boot with nomodeset, disabling nouveau driver, and run the nvidia installer?

Quote Originally Posted by bobx001
    OK, after several installs from scratch (always Xfce Spin), I can succesfully say that:

2. Do this in the following steps:
    a. install rpmfusion kmod-nvidia (you need dkms, kernel-devel and gcc) , that will add the necessary blacklist commands to the grub.
    b. disable systemd graphical target, change to multi-user target.
    c. reboot, you will see that the nouveau is still active (lsmod | grep nouveau will show the module ative, and lsmod | grep nvidia will show zilch).
    f. reboot again

3. Doing an lsmod | grep nouveau will still show it, however, if your console is gone back to "large letters", it may mean that nouveau is not being used.

4. Once you properly accomplish that (step 2 and 3), then issuing an "rmmod nouveau" will most probably work, and that is the time you

anyway, that's my $0.02
    It failed at step: a because you failed to read the guide and installed the wrong package.
    FTR you should have installed akmod-nvidia as the rpmfusion driver uses akmods to build the modules (not DKMS).
    https://src.fedoraproject.org/user/leigh123linux
    https://github.com/leigh123linux
    https://admin.rpmfusion.org/pkgdb/packager/leigh123linux/

My advice for those who are contemplating a new Linux desktop/gaming machine: use the new generation Radeon/Vega video card. My life has been much simpler, much happier!

(Currently we have two machines: AMD FX 8350 + RX 480; and AMD Ryzen 7 1700 + RX 550)