FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

FC27 - nouveau vs. nvidia rpmfusion/proprietary

OK, after several installs from scratch (always Xfce Spin), I can succesfully say that:

1. the main issue the Nvidia drivers have during installation, is the fact that the nouveau driver is almost impossible to blacklist/rmmod.

2. Do this in the following steps:
    a. install rpmfusion kmod-nvidia (you need dkms, kernel-devel and gcc) , that will add the necessary blacklist commands to the grub.
    b. disable systemd graphical target, change to multi-user target.
    c. reboot, you will see that the nouveau is still active (lsmod | grep nouveau will show the module ative, and lsmod | grep nvidia will show zilch).
    d. edit the /etc/default/grub and erase the "rhgb" command which is right before the quiet command.
    e. execute the grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
    f. reboot again

3. Doing an lsmod | grep nouveau will still show it, however, if your console is gone back to "large letters", it may mean that nouveau is not being used.

4. Once you properly accomplish that (step 2 and 3), then issuing an "rmmod nouveau" will most probably work, and that is the time you

5. then either re-install (dnf remove, dnf install) the rpmfusion kmod-nvidia , or run the proprietary installer (I chose the latter, which actually worked, as the nouveau was now out of commission).

anyway, that's my $0.02
    "monsters John ... monsters from the ID..."
    "ma vule teva maar gul nol naya"

Re: FC27 - nouveau vs. nvidia rpmfusion/proprietary

d. edit the /etc/default/grub and erase the "rhgb" command which is right before the quiet command.
    f. reboot again
    instead of rewriting the grub default config you can change grub boot for that test at boot, by hitting E on the grub entry and removing rhgb (redhat graphical boot), then ctrl+x or ctrl+f10 to launch

1. the main issue the Nvidia drivers have during installation, is the fact that the nouveau driver is almost impossible to blacklist/rmmod.

5. then either re-install (dnf remove, dnf install) the rpmfusion kmod-nvidia , or run the proprietary installer (I chose the latter, which actually worked, as the nouveau was now out of commission).
    wouldn't it be easier to boot with nomodeset, disabling nouveau driver, and run the nvidia installer?

Quote Originally Posted by bobx001
    OK, after several installs from scratch (always Xfce Spin), I can succesfully say that:

2. Do this in the following steps:
    a. install rpmfusion kmod-nvidia (you need dkms, kernel-devel and gcc) , that will add the necessary blacklist commands to the grub.
    b. disable systemd graphical target, change to multi-user target.
    c. reboot, you will see that the nouveau is still active (lsmod | grep nouveau will show the module ative, and lsmod | grep nvidia will show zilch).
    f. reboot again

3. Doing an lsmod | grep nouveau will still show it, however, if your console is gone back to "large letters", it may mean that nouveau is not being used.

4. Once you properly accomplish that (step 2 and 3), then issuing an "rmmod nouveau" will most probably work, and that is the time you

anyway, that's my $0.02
    It failed at step: a because you failed to read the guide and installed the wrong package.
    FTR you should have installed akmod-nvidia as the rpmfusion driver uses akmods to build the modules (not DKMS).

My advice for those who are contemplating a new Linux desktop/gaming machine: use the new generation Radeon/Vega video card. My life has been much simpler, much happier!

(Currently we have two machines: AMD FX 8350 + RX 480; and AMD Ryzen 7 1700 + RX 550)

I have had a hell of a time trying to get rid of the nouveay this morning after an update to 4.14.7-300.fc27.x86_64
    the only way I found to actually get nouveau out of the modules loaded at boot, was to actually remove the nvidia_drm.modeset=1 out of the /etc/default/grub CMDLINE. With that in, the nouveau somehow reads the word "nvidia", and loads its modules. Making it impossible to load either:
    kmod-nvidia
    akmod-nvidia
    nvidia proprietary

Once that was gone, and also "rhgb", and booting into multi-user.target, I was able to rmmod nouveau, and then install the proprietary Nvidia driver.
    I tried akmod after that, and it also did not work even after like 10 bootups.

So this seems like a developing issue.

Why do I want the nvidia drivers instead of the nouveau ? simple, the nouveau is flakey when you have multiple monitors, even with arandr, the thing decides sometimes to just go into mirror mode by itself. You go make yourself a coffee, come back and the thing has changed ! , and that ladies&gentlemen, is just not acceptable.

I have had a hell of a time trying to get rid of the nouveay this morning after an update to 4.14.7-300.fc27.x86_64
    the only way [B]I found to actually get nouveau out of the modules loaded at boot, was to actually remove the nvidia_drm.modeset=1 out of the /etc/default/grub CMDLINE. With that in, the nouveau somehow reads the word "nvidia", and loads its modules. Making it impossible to load either:
    kmod-nvidia
    akmod-nvidia
    nvidia proprietary

Once that was gone, and also "rhgb", and booting into multi-user.target, I was able to rmmod nouveau, and then install the proprietary Nvidia driver.
    I tried akmod after that, and it also did not work even after like 10 bootups.

So this seems like a developing issue.

Why do I want the nvidia drivers instead of the nouveau ? simple, the nouveau is flakey when you have multiple monitors, even with arandr, the thing decides sometimes to just go into mirror mode by itself. You go make yourself a coffee, come back and the thing has changed ! , and that ladies&gentlemen, is just not acceptable.
    That statement is complete ********, why make stuff up?

Quote Originally Posted by leigh123linux
    That statement is complete ********, why make stuff up?
    As soon as I come back from iceland, I will set my dashcam to video my screens, and we shall see.

As soon as I come back from iceland, I will set my dashcam to video my screens, and we shall see.
    I can't wait to see you admit you were wrong.

It's true that they both have a modeset option, lot's of graphics drivers do.

The first part addresses the module named nvidia_drm / nvidia-drm

nvidia_drm

the second part sets the option

modeset=1

=

nvidia_drm.modeset=1

Code:
    $ modinfo nvidia-drm |grep -e name -e modeset:
    filename:       /lib/modules/4.15.0-0.rc4.git0.1.fc28.x86_64/extra/nvidia/nvidia-drm.ko
    name:           nvidia_drm
    parm:           modeset:Enable atomic kernel modesetting (1 = enable, 0 = disable (default)) (bool)

To set nouveau modeset requires

nouveau.modeset=1

Code:
    $ modinfo nouveau |grep -e name -e modeset:
    filename:       /lib/modules/4.15.0-0.rc4.git0.1.fc28.x86_64/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau/nouveau.ko.xz
    name:           nouveau
    parm:           modeset:enable driver (default: auto, 0 = disabled, 1 = enabled, 2 = headless) (int)

P.S As rpmfusion nvidia developer it really annoys me when I read crap

nvidia_drm

modeset=1

=

nvidia_drm.modeset=1

Code:
    filename:       /lib/modules/4.15.0-0.rc4.git0.1.fc28.x86_64/extra/nvidia/nvidia-drm.ko
    parm:           modeset:Enable atomic kernel modesetting (1 = enable, 0 = disable (default)) (bool)

nouveau.modeset=1

Code:
    filename:       /lib/modules/4.15.0-0.rc4.git0.1.fc28.x86_64/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau/nouveau.ko.xz
    parm:           modeset:enable driver (default: auto, 0 = disabled, 1 = enabled, 2 = headless) (int)

I only report what I see ! I don't talk out of my *******. However, in this thread here: https://forums.fedoraforum.org/showt...on-gnome-boxes
    I painfully found out that my brand new Ryzen-PC had CPU Virtualization disabled in the BIOS !!! which caused a very interesting Virtualbox unable to install 64bit guests, and network not working on a 32bit guest !! who would have figured that the network would be affected by that !
    After changing the BIOS, Virtualbox started working as advertised. I can only surmise that maybe, just maybe, nouveau would now maybe also work as advertised, and maybe just maybe, my grub settings now have a completely different outcome when I change them.

I will make it into a cool little video when I get back, and we'll see what we'll see.

I only report what I see ! I don't talk out of my *******. However, in this thread here: https://forums.fedoraforum.org/showt...on-gnome-boxes
    I painfully found out that my brand new Ryzen-PC had CPU Virtualization disabled in the BIOS !!! which caused a very interesting Virtualbox unable to install 64bit guests, and network not working on a 32bit guest !! who would have figured that the network would be affected by that !
    After changing the BIOS, Virtualbox started working as advertised. I can only surmise that maybe, just maybe, nouveau would now maybe also work as advertised, and maybe just maybe, my grub settings now have a completely different outcome when I change them.

I will make it into a cool little video when I get back, and we'll see what we'll see.
    Enabling CPU virtualization features in UEFI does not affect the output or operation of your NVIDIA GPU for the host operating system. Most new mainboards come with virtualization turned off, it's the common factory default setting

Probably too late to the party, but...

I've been working with Nvidia drivers on Fedora since Fedora 9 and have had only minor problems for the past ten releases or more. I tend to follow this guide: https://www.if-not-true-then-false.c...-nvidia-guide/ At this stage, I almost never do a manual rebuild of the proprietary driver unless I specifically choose to change versions. Note, however, that this process uses dkms and _not_ akmods through RPM Fusion. Either option is perfectly valid.

Also, for the record, any Nvidia advice from @leigh123linux should be treated as gospel - at least I do so. His advice has helped my numerous times on numerous boards with issues related to Nvidia, compiz (in the old days), Fedora, etc. etc. etc. Just my $0.02.

nvidia_drm

modeset=1

=

nvidia_drm.modeset=1

Code:

nouveau.modeset=1

Code:

Today I have just reinstalled my new PC with a fresh Xfce spin, and even took a full video of the full process, which I will upload to y00t00b, and the simple instruction given by leigh in the rpmfusion howto's:
    Code:
    dnf install xorg-x11-drv-nvidia akmod-nvidia
    dnf update -y
    worked PERFECTLY WELL. after the reboot, nouveau wasn't loaded, and nvidia was.
    I will keep watching if this keeps after a distro-upgrade (witout full reinstall), cuz I think that my box just gets polluted with all kinds of cr4p, and that is what then causes the issues I have seen.
    Last edited by nonamedotc; 12th January 2018 at 03:37 PM.

Edited previous post to remove oversized text