FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New user - nvidia drivers

I'm a new fedora linux user. I've been using it maybe 2 months.

I installed Fedora 26 from DVD on my new laptop with a nvidia Geforce 960M card. I also have windows 10 so I use UEFI. I couldn't get the nouveau driver to work so I started with getting the intel onboard graphics working. I put an entry in my grub file to do that. It's been running well the past 2 months so I thought it was time to get the nvidia driver installed.

That was harder because I had to figure out how to sign the kernel module. I made a pair of keys and ran a command to import a key and I put the key password in the UEFI window that popped up when I was first booting my computer.

I thought my keys were all set so I ran the .run installer from the Nvidia web site. The installer asked for both my public and my private key.

It finished without any errors so I thought the module was both installed and signed.

When I try to turn on the module, I get this error:

[root@localhost ~]# modprobe nvidia-drm
    modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'nvidia_drm': Required key not available

When I try to import my public key again, it tells me it's already imported:

[root@localhost ~]# mokutil --import pubkey.der
    SKIP: pubkey.der is already enrolled

I kind of understand the two key system. It works like PGP email. There's a public key and a private key and one signs my module and the other opens it once it's been signed.

I tried running the nvidia run file again but now it doesn't ask for my keys to sign the module. I don't know how to manually sign it. I tried digging around in /usr/src/kernels but the modules aren't built there. I'm not sure how to find the compiled module to re-sign it.

So now I'm stuck...what part did I mess up and how do I fix it? I tried looking for answers but most suggest turning off secure boot in the bios which breaks my windows 10 install.

Note: Edited to try to make what I did and the question more clear.
    Last edited by SunshineSue; 7th December 2017 at 04:11 PM.

Re: New user - nvidia drivers

You need to sign the module with the key which is the command you're missing:

Code:
    /usr/src/kernels/$(uname -r)/scripts/sign-file sha256 key.priv key.der /path/to/nvidia/module

Thank you for answering so quickly. Manually signing the module still caused the same error.

[root@localhost ~]# /usr/src/kernels/$(uname -r)/scripts/sign-file sha256 priv.key pubkey.der /usr/lib/modules/4.13.16-202.fc26.x86_64/extra/nvidia-drm.ko
    [root@localhost ~]# modprobe nvidia-drm
    modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'nvidia_drm': Required key not available

Edit: Is there a log file I can look at for the signing or for modprobe that might give more information? Is there a way to confirm that I imported my key properly into the UEFI database?
    Last edited by SunshineSue; 7th December 2017 at 08:13 PM.

There is more than one NVidia kernel module. I have three loaded and there are four in the kernel package. The actual driver is nvidia.ko, the largest module. nvidia-modeset.ko and nvidia-drm.ko are used for kernel modesetting. The nvidia-drm.ko module is only loaded first by the kernel as it tries to do modesetting during the boot process. They all have to be signed.

Code:
    $ lsmod | grep nvidia
    nvidia_drm             53080  1 
    nvidia_modeset        790163  4 nvidia_drm
    nvidia              11912556  58 nvidia_modeset

$ pwd
    /usr/lib/modules/3.10.0-514.2.2.el7.x86_64/extra
    $ du -h *
    92K     nvidia-drm.ko
    16M     nvidia.ko
    1.1M    nvidia-modeset.ko
    1.2M    nvidia-uvm.ko
    Did you sign all of them ? The nvidia-drm.ko module depends on nvidia-modeset.ko which depends on the actual driver nvidia.ko itself. All three would have to be signed in order to load nvidia-drm.ko. Even if nvidia-drm.ko was signed properly the loading operation would fail if its dependent modules were not also signed. That could be what is happening in the error message you are getting.

Code:
    $ modinfo nvidia-drm.ko 
    filename:       /usr/lib/modules/3.10.0-514.2.2.el7.x86_64/extra/nvidia-drm.ko
    version:        375.20
    supported:      external
    license:        MIT
    depends:        drm,drm_kms_helper,nvidia-modeset
    $ modinfo nvidia-modeset.ko 
    filename:       /usr/lib/modules/3.10.0-514.2.2.el7.x86_64/extra/nvidia-modeset.ko
    version:        375.20
    supported:      external
    license:        NVIDIA
    depends:        nvidia
    I saw a page once where someone used a bash for loop to sign all of the modules in this directory.
    Last edited by amiga; 8th December 2017 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smr54
    You might have better luck with the rpmfusion version, which does all the work for you.
    I believe the maintainer is on these forums. (I think he's still the maintainer, if he sees this, he will confirm or correct, I hope)
    https://rpmfusion.org/Howto/NVIDIA?h...tegoryHowto%29
    Thank you for answering. I saw the response that rpmfusion won't handle signing until later.

I used the .run file from the Nvidia web site and it had some sort of automated key signing. I don't know if it worked but the .run installer asked if I wanted to sign the modules and asked for my public and private key so it at least "tried" .

Quote Originally Posted by amiga

Did you sign all of them ? The nvidia-drm.ko module depends on nvidia-modeset.ko which depends on the actual driver nvidia.ko itself. All three would have to be signed in order to load nvidia-drm.ko. Even if nvidia-drm.ko was signed properly the loading operation would fail if its dependent modules were not also signed. That could be what is happening in the error message you are getting.

I saw a page once where someone used a bash for loop to sign all of the modules in this directory.
    Oh. I didn't realize that I needed to sign all the nvidia modules. I'll look thorugh the extras directory and I'll try that.

Half of me wants to chuck Windows 10 out the window (unfortunately I can't - need it for work) and the other half is enjoying this because I'm learning so much about how Linux works.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I'll be back later to either mark the thread fixed or ask more questions.

You might have better luck with the rpmfusion version, which does all the work for you.
    I believe the maintainer is on these forums. (I think he's still the maintainer, if he sees this, he will confirm or correct, I hope)

Quote Originally Posted by smr54
    We are working on automatic signing, it probably wont happen before F28

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1454824
    https://src.fedoraproject.org/user/leigh123linux
    https://github.com/leigh123linux
    https://admin.rpmfusion.org/pkgdb/packager/leigh123linux/

Thanks Leigh I wasn't sure if you were still involved with it.

Oh. I didn't realize that I needed to sign all the nvidia modules. I'll look through the extras directory and I'll try that.
    If you don't sign the actual 16MB driver module nothing would work anyway even if you didn't use modesetting.

I signed all the nvidia modules in "extras" and then I tested it with modprobe which completed silently.

Then I rebooted. Now I can't boot into Fedora. I can only boot into Windows 10. Fedora hangs when booting.

A start job is running for Hold until boot process finishes up (with a time counter afterwards)

I tried booting into run level 3 and I get a login prompt. When I login I can't "startx".

most of /usr/log/Xorg.0.log looks fine (to my newbie eyes). Stuff is just loading. I see it trying to load nvidia and glx.

Edit: I have a pastebin of the log : https://pastebin.com/Xs3vweXJ
    Last edited by SunshineSue; 12th December 2017 at 02:24 PM.

I signed all the nvidia modules in "extras" and then I tested it with modprobe which completed silently.

Then I rebooted. Now I can't boot into Fedora. I can only boot into Windows 10. Fedora hangs when booting.
    Did you blacklist the open source nouveau drivers at boot time ? In order to use the nvidia driver the nouveau driver needs to be blacklisted so it doesn't load. If not there will be a conflict.

Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rhgb rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau ...
    You need to add rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX variable in the file /etc/default/grub. Then you would regenerate your grub.cfg with grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg.

Also check that the nvidia installer installed a file in /etc/modprobe.d/. The NVidia .run file does this. If this file exists and the kernel parameter above to blacklist nouveau exists nouveau should not load.

Code:
    $ cat /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-installer-disable-nouveau.conf 
    # generated by nvidia-installer
    blacklist nouveau
    options nouveau modeset=0
    Last edited by amiga; 12th December 2017 at 11:24 PM. Reason: added info

Did you blacklist the open source nouveau drivers at boot time ? In order to use the nvidia driver the nouveau driver needs to be blacklisted so it doesn't load. If not there will be a conflict.
    Yes, at the top of the pastebin log is my grub command line parameters:
    Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-4.13.16-202.fc26.x86_64 root=UUID=25237c23-9df6-4a51-b080-fdef636e779c ro rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau nvidia.modeset=0 nouveau.modeset=0 intel.modeset=1 gfxpayload=vga=normal rd.lvm.lv=fedora/swap rd.lvm.lv=fedora/root rhgb quiet LANG=en_US.UTF-8 3

Also check that the nvidia installer installed a file in /etc/modprobe.d/. The NVidia .run file does this. If this file exists and the kernel parameter above to blacklist nouveau exists nouveau should not load.
    It had not so I put it in manually. No change.

The only slight weirdness I can see is that one of my grub parameters shows as "nvidia.modeset=0".

I have "nvidia.modeset=1" in my /etc/default/grub file and the grub.cfg file shows _both_ versions (nvidia.modeset=0 and nvidia.modeset=1) and "1" is the last entry (which I think is supposed to take precedence over the "0" setting?)

Something, "somewhere" in my system is forcing nvidia.modeset=0. It's not much to go on but maybe an experienced person can make sense of that?

Edit: I'd like to be told how to turn off the nvidia loading so I can at least go back to booting with my intel driver when I'm not trying to troubleshoot.
    Last edited by SunshineSue; 13th December 2017 at 08:44 PM.

The only slight weirdness I can see is that one of my grub parameters shows as "nvidia.modeset=0".
    There is more weirdness than that. You have intel.modeset=1 in your parameters. If you are trying to use your NVidia card why are you still turning on modeset for the Intel GPU ?

Code:
     BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-4.13.16-202.fc26.x86_64 root=UUID=25237c23-9df6-4a51-b080-fdef636e779c ro rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau nvidia.modeset=0 nouveau.modeset=0 intel.modeset=1 gfxpayload=vga=normal rd.lvm.lv=fedora/swap rd.lvm.lv=fedora/root rhgb quiet LANG=en_US.UTF-8 3
    I have "nvidia.modeset=1" in my /etc/default/grub file and the grub.cfg file shows _both_ versions (nvidia.modeset=0 and nvidia.modeset=1) and "1" is the last entry (which I think is supposed to take precedence over the "0" setting?)
    I don't see nvidia.modeset=1 in what you posted. I only see intel.modeset=1.

Please post your /etc/default/grub file or at least the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX variable.

There is more weirdness than that. You have intel.modeset=1 in your parameters. If you are trying to use your NVidia card why are you still turning on modeset for the Intel GPU ?
    Because I haven't taken it out yet. This is behaving as expected at least for now.

Should I remove the intel modeset setting?

I don't see nvidia.modeset=1 in what you posted. I only see intel.modeset=1.
    You seem to have misunderstood what I said. You won't see nvidia.modeset=1. You'll see nvidia.modeset=0

BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-4.13.16-202.fc26.x86_64 root=UUID=25237c23-9df6-4a51-b080-fdef636e779c ro rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau nvidia.modeset=0 nouveau.modeset=0 intel.modeset=1 gfxpayload=vga=normal rd.lvm.lv=fedora/swap rd.lvm.lv=fedora/root rhgb quiet LANG=en_US.UTF-8 3

There should be nvidia.modeset=1 but instead it's nvidia.modeset=0

Please post your /etc/default/grub file or at least the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX variable.
    It would be very helpful if I could be told how to shut off whatever's trying to load my nvidia drivers so I can at least get into linux using my intel drivers.

Edit: here is /etc/default/grub:
    Code:

GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="$(sed 's, release .*$,,g' /etc/system-release)"
    GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
    GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU=true
    GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT="console"
    ##GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nomodeset rhgb quiet"
    GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau nouveau.modeset=0 nvidia.modeset=1 intel.modeset=1 gfxpayload=vga=normal rd.lvm.lv=fedora/swap rd.lvm.lv=fedora/root"
    Here is just grub_cmdline_linux:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau nouveau.modeset=0 nvidia.modeset=1 intel.modeset=1 gfxpayload=vga=normal rd.lvm.lv=fedora/swap rd.lvm.lv=fedora/root"

Here is a line from my grub.cfg file:
    linuxefi /vmlinuz-4.13.16-202.fc26.x86_64 root=UUID=25237c23-9df6-4a51-b080-fdef636e779c ro rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau nvidia.modeset=0 nouveau.modeset=0 nvidia.modeset=1 intel.modeset=1 gfxpayload=vga=normal rd.lvm.lv=fedora/swap rd.lvm.lv=fedora/root
    initrdefi /initramfs-4.13.16-202.fc26.x86_64.img

In grub_cmdline_linux I set "nvidia.modeset=1"

In grub.cfg it shows "nvidia.modeset=0" and after it "nvidia.modeset=1"

In the list of boot variables in my pastebin file of the log it shows "nvidia.modeset=0"

I try to set nvidia.modeset=1 and something in my computer changes it to nvidia.modeset=0 along the way. I don't know what's doing it. This may be a clue to what's going on, or it may be unrelated but I noticed it happening and it seems like it might be useful to mention it.
    Last edited by SunshineSue; 14th December 2017 at 10:07 AM.

Because I haven't taken it out yet. This is behaving as expected at least for now.
    Should I remove the intel modeset setting?
    If you are trying to use the NVidia driver you shouldn't have the modesets for two different drivers enabled. You may also have to blacklist the intel driver just as you did with nouveau. I don't have an Intel GPU in my i7-2600. I only have my GTX550. I have never had to do this but you may have to. I recommend blacklisting the intel driver as well as setting its modeset to 0.

There are two things you may not realize that will make your life easier. The first is that even though grub.cfg is auto-generated you can create any custom entries you want in the /etc/grub.d/40_custom file and they will be copied to grub.cfg. If you create your own entries in this file all of the problems you are having below will go away as you can edit the entry as you want. Simply copy the existing entry in grub.cfg to this file and edit it to your liking.

In grub_cmdline_linux I set "nvidia.modeset=1"
    In grub.cfg it shows "nvidia.modeset=0" and after it "nvidia.modeset=1"
    In the list of boot variables in my pastebin file of the log it shows "nvidia.modeset=0"

I try to set nvidia.modeset=1 and something in my computer changes it to nvidia.modeset=0 along the way. I don't know what's doing it. This may be a clue to what's going on, or it may be unrelated but I noticed it happening and it seems like it might be useful to mention it.
    If you create your own grub entries in /etc/grub.d/40_custom all of these problems go away.

The second thing is that you don't need modesetting at all to boot. This is just to get a smaller font during boot and for virtual consoles. You can simply use nomodeset for now.