FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: New user - nvidia drivers

Quote Originally Posted by amiga
    If you are trying to use the NVidia driver you shouldn't have the modesets for two different drivers enabled. You may also have to blacklist the intel driver just as you did with nouveau. I don't have an Intel GPU in my i7-2600. I only have my GTX550. I have never had to do this but you may have to. I recommend blacklisting the intel driver as well as setting its modeset to 0.

<snip>

The second thing is that you don't need modesetting at all to boot. This is just to get a smaller font during boot and for virtual consoles. You can simply use nomodeset for now.
    I set the intel modeset to 0 and set nomodeset at the end of the grub line. I didn't blacklist the intel driver because I found other discussions that explained that it doesn't stop the nvidia module from loading and blacklisting it can cause problems.

It still wouldn't boot.

I found the "lsmod" command and here is the nvidia output from it:

Code:

nvidia_drm             45056  0
    nvidia_modeset        843776  1 nvidia_drm
    nvidia              13119488  1 nvidia_modeset
    drm_kms_helper        159744  3 nouveau,i915,nvidia_drm
    drm                   352256  6 nouveau,i915,ttm,nvidia_drm,drm_kms_helper
    Nouveau is in there. Does that mean it wasn't blacklisted properly?

Also, here are the last few lines of the Xorg log file:
    Code:
    [   109.602] (II) NVIDIA GLX Module  384.98  Thu Oct 26 14:35:55 PDT 2017
    [   109.602] (II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
    [   109.602] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so
    [   109.602] (II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
    [   109.602] 	compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
    [   109.602] 	Module class: X.Org Video Driver
    [   109.602] (II) NVIDIA dlloader X Driver  384.98  Thu Oct 26 14:06:45 PDT 2017
    [   109.602] (II) NVIDIA Unified Driver for all Supported NVIDIA GPUs
    [   109.602] xf86EnableIOPorts: failed to set IOPL for I/O (Operation not permitted)
    [   109.602] (II) systemd-logind: releasing fd for 226:1
    [   109.603] (EE) No devices detected.
    [   109.603] (EE) 
    Fatal server error:
    [   109.603] (EE) no screens found(EE) 
    [   109.603] (EE)
    This line looks like an error: xf86EnableIOPorts: failed to set IOPL for I/O (Operation not permitted)

I decided to search for the error and found this discussion: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=230139

The resolution was to install Bumblebee for the two video chips (Intel and Nvidia).

I'm going to try this but first I have to be able to boot into the graphical mode. My wireless card won't work in text mode. I'm posting this now so that I don't forget what I did/what I was thinking.

I've asked twice how to stop the nvidia drivers from loading so I can boot using my intel chip but no one answered. I'm going to try to uninstall the nvidia run file and see if that works.

I'll edit the post when I'm done.

Nouveau is in there. Does that mean it wasn't blacklisted properly?
    Possibly. I don't have it when I search for nvidia. To be sure you need to search for nouveau in the left hand column.

Code:
    lsmod | grep nouveau
    This line looks like an error: xf86EnableIOPorts: failed to set IOPL for I/O (Operation not permitted)
    This could be a permission issue. Is your user in the video group ?

Code:
    groups $(whoami)
    The video group should be in the list.

I've asked twice how to stop the nvidia drivers from loading so I can boot using my intel chip but no one answered. I'm going to try to uninstall the nvidia run file and see if that works.
    The .run file overwrites some standard graphic files in standard locations. You will need to use dnf to reinstall some libraries that were overwritten.

Code:
    ## Fedora 27/26/25/24/23/22 ##
    dnf reinstall xorg-\* mesa\*

Quote Originally Posted by amiga
    Possibly. I don't have it when I search for nvidia. To be sure you need to search for nouveau in the left hand column.

Code:
    lsmod | grep nouveau

The .run file overwrites some standard graphic files in standard locations. You will need to use dnf to reinstall some libraries that were overwritten.

Code:
    ## Fedora 27/26/25/24/23/22 ##
    dnf reinstall xorg-\* mesa\*
    You missed libglvnd* and egl-wayland

My laptop is an optimus laptop and I didn't realize I needed special software to do the switching. That was my newbie mistake.

I scrubbed everything I could remember doing and removed the Nvidia run installation. I also walked through all the steps to get rid of nouveau, again.

Then I followed the directions in the Fedora wiki to install Bumblebee. Bumblebee has an option to sign kernel modules. I had to manually sign bbswitch.

It's much better, but there are still problems. I have to start in the terminal, then I startx, and then I start bumblebeed. If I don't do it in that order the laptop hangs.

Still, the nvidia driver is installed, loads, and I can use optirun to call it for the programs that need it.

Thanks to everyone for all the help.

Edit: I'm not sure if my bumblebee issues should go in a new thread or I should stay in this one?

Quote Originally Posted by SunshineSue
    My laptop is an optimus laptop and I didn't realize I needed special software to do the switching. That was my newbie mistake.

I scrubbed everything I could remember doing and removed the Nvidia run installation. I also walked through all the steps to get rid of nouveau, again.

Then I followed the directions in the Fedora wiki to install Bumblebee. Bumblebee has an option to sign kernel modules. I had to manually sign bbswitch.

It's much better, but there are still problems. I have to start in the terminal, then I startx, and then I start bumblebeed. If I don't do it in that order the laptop hangs.

Still, the nvidia driver is installed, loads, and I can use optirun to call it for the programs that need it.

Thanks to everyone for all the help.

Edit: I'm not sure if my bumblebee issues should go in a new thread or I should stay in this one?
    You could use PRIME instead of bumblebee if your not worried about power consumption.

https://rpmfusion.org/Howto/Optimus

It should be mentioned that only several packages are corrupted by the NVidia .run file. You could run a loop such as the following.

Code:
    for f in $(dnf list installed --quiet xorg-\* mesa\* libglvnd\* 2>&1 | tail -n +3 | awk '{print $1;}'); do rpm --query $f > /dev/null && (rpm --verify $f || echo package corrupted: $f); done

In my case using the NVidia .run file only four packages ( three mesa packages and one xorg) need to be re-installed out of the 56 total graphic library packages. None of the libglvnd/* were corrupted and I don't have egl-wayland installed as I use Xorg.

Code:
    S.5....T.    /usr/lib64/libEGL.so.1.0.0
    package corrupted: mesa-libEGL.x86_64
    S.5....T.    /usr/lib64/libGL.so.1.2.0
    package corrupted: mesa-libGL.x86_64
    S.5....T.    /usr/lib64/libGLESv2.so.2.0.0
    package corrupted: mesa-libGLES.x86_64
    ....L....    /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
    missing     /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/libglamoregl.so
    package corrupted: xorg-x11-server-Xorg.x86_64
    You could then re-install only these few packages by modifying the previous loop or just run dnf reinstall manually for each if there are only 3-4.

Code:
    for f in $(dnf list installed --quiet xorg-\* mesa\* libglvnd\* 2>&1 | tail -n +3 | awk '{print $1;}'); do rpm --query $f > /dev/null && (rpm --verify $f || dnf reinstall $f); done
    You missed libglvnd* and egl-wayland
    I was looking at this guide which didn't mention these.

https://www.if-not-true-then-false.c...vidia-guide/3/

In my case I have the libglvnd* libraries installed on my system but the NVidia .run file did not touch them. The guide likely does not tell you to re-install packages that aren't ever modified by the NVidia .run file. As I run Xorg on Centos 7 I have no Wayland libraries but perhaps the NVidia .run file does not modify these as well. Others may tell.
    Last edited by amiga; 20th December 2017 at 10:21 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2