FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Cannot connect to Samba shares after Fedora 27 install

I debated whether to create a new post because of the recent one titled "Unable to mount SMB shares after system-upgrade to F27 from F26".

Since my problem is with a new Fedora 27 install I'm creating a new post.

I've been using Debian and its offshoots. But I'm back with Fedora 27 for this desktop.

Cannot see any Samba shares on other computers - Windows or Linux.

I've tried various configurations to the /etc/samba/smb.conf and although no errors were reported when running testparm I cannot, as I said, connect or see other Samba shares.

Under "Files>Other Locations" I can see a Windows Network icon but clicking it just leads to a screen which is blank except for the words "Folder Is Empty".

I've followed instructions from https://docs.fedoraproject.org/f27/s...t_Servers.html

I can connect to a Samba share on a media server running Debian via this command taken from the above page:

Code:
    $ smbclient //hostname/sharename -U username
    This also works works:

Code:
    smbclient -L 192.168.1.149
    192.168.1.149 obviously being the local network IP address of the computer with the Samba shares.

I can also connect via:

Code:
    $ smbclient -L sharename
    I tried to mount the share on the Fedora 27 desktop using:

Code:
    mount -v -t cifs //servername/sharename /mnt/point/ -o username=username,password=password

But this failed with the error message:

mount.cifs kernel mount options: ip=198.105.244.74,unc=\\username\sharename,user=us ername,pass=********
    mount error(115): Operation now in progress
    Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

Sometimes "mount error(13)" occurred.

I checked to make sure the cifs-utils package is installed and searched for the above error messages but did not find anything to resolve the problem

Sorry this is so long.

Re: Cannot connect to Samba shares after Fedora 27 install

I just tried this on my newly installed f27 and it works as expected. Your test of smbclient is to 192.168.1.149 while the mount is to 198.105.244.74

What is the output of
    smbclient -L 198.105.244.74

BTW smbclient -L sharename is probably a typo

Man - I just typed in an entire message and then clicked the wrong thing and everything disappeared. Once again:

Thanks for your reply.

Output of

$smbclient -L 198.105.244.74

is

Connection to 198.105.244.74 failed (Error NT_STATUS_IO_TIMEOUT)

No computer/device on my network has the 198.105.244.74 address. An Internet search shows this address, at least at one time, was located in Boulder, Colorado. I think there is something fundamental here I'm not understanding.

Also, running

$smbclient -L sharename

lists all the shares on the sharename computer and I can use the hostname - i.e. I don't have to use the local IP address where it says "sharename".

Hope I don't delete this one before it posts.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by gmach24; 7th December 2017 at 08:25 PM.

Your use of notation is inconsistent and confusing to me. sharename represents different things in the following 2 examples.
    smbclient -L sharename
    mount -v -t cifs //servername/sharename /mnt/point/ -o username=username,password=password

The error message of your mount example in the top post refers to a servername on the internet.

mount -v -t cifs //servername/sharename /mnt/point/ -o vers=2.0,username=username,password=password

Try adding vers=2.0 to the command line.
    Glenn
    The Bassinator

Hi. Thanks for your quick reply.

You're right - it should have been

smbclient -L servername

My apologies.

As far as the second problem - attempting to mount a Samba share on the local Fedora file system - I know it throws back an IP address from the Internet - I wrote that in my previous post. I traced it to Boulder, Colorado. How/why/where that IP address comes from I have no idea.

That IP address occurs in the error message from this command:

when using the actual servername in //servername/sharename

However, running the same command to mount the remote share using the IP address of the remote server I get:

mount.cifs kernel mount options: ip=192.168.1.149,unc=\\192.168.1.149\sharename,use r=username,pass=********

and the remote sharename folder is mounted on the Fedora Desktop – and as you can see the local network address is 192.168.1.149

To double check I again ran

using the server name instead of network address and got the same error message:

mount.cifs kernel mount options: ip=198.105.244.74,unc=\\servername\sharename,user= username,pass=********
    mount error(115): Operation now in progress
    Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

Same error as before.

I'm trying to figure out where this address 198.105.244.74 comes from - it is not in the Fedora Desktop's /etc/samba/smb.conf file. It is not in the smb.conf on the remote server. I’m stumped.

The only other thing I can think of is I can only SSH to the remote server using its local network address (192.168.1.149). I have always been able to resolve this with other computers and Linux installs and I keep looking for the answer.

It seems I did something wrong somewhere. I just don't know where.

Hi. Thank you for the suggestion. I ran

sudo mount -v -t cifs //servername/sharename /mnt/point/ -o vers=2.0,username=username,password=password

and got the same error:

mount.cifs kernel mount options: ip=198.105.244.74,unc=\\servername\sharename,vers= 2.0,user=username,pass=********

Thanks anyway.

Sounds like netbios name resolution is not working. I would suggest that you check smb.conf, nsswitch.conf, wins server, master browser

what is the output of
    systemctl status nmb.service

Quote Originally Posted by gjaltemba
    Sounds like netbios name resolution is not working. I would suggest that you check smb.conf, nsswitch.conf, wins server, master browser

what is the output of
    systemctl status nmb.service
    $systemctl status nmb.service

● nmb.service - Samba NMB Daemon
    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/nmb.service; disabled; vendor preset:
    Active: inactive (dead)
    lines 1-3/3 (END)

$systemctl status smb.service

● smb.service - Samba SMB Daemon
    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/smb.service; disabled; vendor preset:
    Active: inactive (dead)

$smbtree -d3

user@localhost etc]$ sudo smbtree -d3 | more
    lp_load_ex: refreshing parameters
    Initialising global parameters
    rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
    Processing section "[global]"
    added interface enp2s0 ip=192.168.1.104 bcast=192.168.1.255 netmask=255.255.255.0
    Connecting to 192.168.1.149 at port 445
    got OID=1.3.6.1.4.1.311.2.2.10
    GENSEC backend 'gssapi_spnego' registered
    GENSEC backend 'gssapi_krb5' registered
    GENSEC backend 'gssapi_krb5_sasl' registered
    GENSEC backend 'spnego' registered
    GENSEC backend 'schannel' registered
    GENSEC backend 'naclrpc_as_system' registered
    GENSEC backend 'sasl-EXTERNAL' registered
    GENSEC backend 'ntlmssp' registered
    GENSEC backend 'ntlmssp_resume_ccache' registered
    GENSEC backend 'http_basic' registered
    GENSEC backend 'http_ntlm' registered
    Got challenge flags:
    Got NTLMSSP neg_flags=0x628a8215
    NTLMSSP: Set final flags:
    Got NTLMSSP neg_flags=0x62008215
    NTLMSSP Sign/Seal - Initialising with flags:
    SPNEGO login failed: The attempted logon is invalid. This is either due to a bad username or authentication information.

In the same output is this:

name_resolve_bcast: Attempting broadcast lookup for name SERVERNAME<0x20>
    \\SERVERNAME Samba 4.3.11-Ubuntu
    Got a positive name query response from 192.168.1.149 ( 192.168.1.149 )
    Connecting to 192.168.1.149 at port 445
    got OID=1.3.6.1.4.1.311.2.2.10
    Got challenge flags:
    Got NTLMSSP neg_flags=0x628a8215
    NTLMSSP: Set final flags:
    NTLMSSP Sign/Seal - Initialising with flags:
    SPNEGO login failed: The attempted logon is invalid. This is either due to a bad username or authentication information.

There is more to the smbtree output but it seems there is, according to the file, a bad username or authentication information. The servername seems to be resolved successfully to the server at 192.168.1.149 - but again bad username or auth info. I'm not sure where that username and auth info are stored.

I'm not sure where to go from here and I don't want to post a bunch of stuff that is not helpful.

I'm researching the above output - but I have, at the moment, no idea what it means.
    Last edited by gmach24; 8th December 2017 at 02:49 AM.

My tuppence worth:

You should debug the problem with smbclient.

The error codes will tell you *exactly* what is wrong - but you need to think about them carefully since they are very terse.
    --
    Have fun!
    http://www.aeronetworks.ca

Thanks. For the moment I wrote a script to mount the shares. I will look into debugging.

I was able to start smb and nmb manually - so at least there's that. Still would not connect and mount the shares.

Thanks again.

After reading this complete thread it's not really clear what you're trying to connect to or from where.

I have a Buffalo NAS that I connect to using Samba. On the computer I'm using this very moment, smb and nmb are running.
    gjohnson@kde27=> systemctl status smb
    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/smb.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
    Active: active (running) since Mon 2017-12-11 06:12:47 EST; 14min ago
    Main PID: 1162 (smbd)
    Tasks: 4 (limit: 4915)
    CGroup: /system.slice/smb.service
    ├─1162 /usr/sbin/smbd
    ├─1163 /usr/sbin/smbd
    ├─1164 /usr/sbin/smbd
    └─1166 /usr/sbin/smbd

Dec 11 06:12:46 kde27 systemd[1]: Starting Samba SMB Daemon...
    Dec 11 06:12:46 kde27 systemd[1]: smb.service: Supervising process 1162 which is not our child. We'll most likely n
    Dec 11 06:12:47 kde27 systemd[1]: Started Samba SMB Daemon.
    Dec 11 06:12:47 kde27 smbd[1162]: [2017/12/11 06:12:47.273496, 0] ../lib/util/become_daemon.c:124(daemon_ready)
    Dec 11 06:12:47 kde27 smbd[1162]: STATUS=daemon 'smbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connections

gjohnson@kde27=> systemctl status nmb
    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/nmb.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
    Active: active (running) since Mon 2017-12-11 06:12:46 EST; 14min ago
    Main PID: 887 (nmbd)
    Tasks: 1 (limit: 4915)
    CGroup: /system.slice/nmb.service
    └─887 /usr/sbin/nmbd

Dec 11 06:12:16 kde27 nmbd[887]: STATUS=daemon 'nmbd' : No local IPv4 non-loopback interfaces available, waiting
    Dec 11 06:12:46 kde27 nmbd[887]: [2017/12/11 06:12:46.342304, 0] ../lib/util/become_daemon.c:124(daemon_ready)
    Dec 11 06:12:46 kde27 systemd[1]: Started Samba NMB Daemon.
    Dec 11 06:12:46 kde27 nmbd[887]: STATUS=daemon 'nmbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connections
    Dec 11 06:13:09 kde27 nmbd[887]: [2017/12/11 06:13:09.368966, 0] ../source3/nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:397(become_loca
    Dec 11 06:13:09 kde27 nmbd[887]: *****
    Dec 11 06:13:09 kde27 nmbd[887]:
    Dec 11 06:13:09 kde27 nmbd[887]: Samba name server KDE27 is now a local master browser for workgroup SAMBA on sub
    Dec 11 06:13:09 kde27 nmbd[887]:
    Dec 11 06:13:09 kde27 nmbd[887]: *****
    You need to start and enable these services so that they both will start upon every reboot.
    systemctl start smb
    systemctl enable smb
    systemctl start nmb
    systemctl enable nmb
    Here's my smb.conf, for what its worth. I don't remember making any changes to this file
    gjohnson@kde27=> cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
    # See smb.conf.example for a more detailed config file or
    # read the smb.conf manpage.
    # Run 'testparm' to verify the config is correct after
    # you modified it.

[global]
    workgroup = SAMBA
    security = user
    passdb backend = tbdsam
    cups options = raw
    printing = cups
    printcap name = cups
    load printers = yes
    cups options = raw

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    valid users = %S, %D%w%S
    browseable = No
    read only = No
    inherit acls = Yes

[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/tmp
    printable = Yes
    create mask = 0600
    browseable = No

[print$]
    comment = Printer Drivers
    path = /var/lib/samba/drivers
    write list = @printadmin root
    force group = @printadmin
    create mask = 0664
    directory mask = 0775
    The NAS is plugged directly into my Comcast router with an Ethernet cable. The NAS's IP address is 10.0.0.31.

To connect to my NAS I have the following line in /etc/fstab
    //10.0.0.31/share /mnt/buffalo cifs noauto,vers=2.0,user=xxxxxx,password=xxxxxx 0 0
    Notice the noauto. I don't want this to connect at boot time because there will likely be a long delay. Additionally, I don't normally need access to the NAS from here. Instead, when I want to access the NAS I manually mount it from the command line.
    mount /mnt/buffalo
    I also connect in the same way from my server to the NAS, but I use auto instead of noauto. This server runs 11 backup scripts on a daily basis and works very reliably.

I don't know if this post will be of any help. Maybe I just don't understand your circumstances. Maybe I'm spot on. Either way, I hope there is something here you can use.
    Glenn
    The Bassinator

Quote Originally Posted by glennzo
    After reading this complete thread it's not really clear what you're trying to connect to or from where.
    I am attempting to use Samba to connect from a desktop upon which I recently installed Fedora 27 (it dual boots with Windows 7 FWIW) to the Samba shares on a media server running Linux Mint. That's it.

[I added some history at the bottom about what I've been able to connect to this server, via Samba.]

Here is output after rebooting the Fedora 27 desktop:

# systemctl status smb
    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/smb.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
    Active: active (running) since Mon 2017-12-11 19:06:21 EST; 1min 12s ago
    Main PID: 3277 (smbd)
    Tasks: 4 (limit: 4915)
    CGroup: /system.slice/smb.service
    ├─3277 /usr/sbin/smbd
    ├─3278 /usr/sbin/smbd
    ├─3279 /usr/sbin/smbd
    └─3280 /usr/sbin/smbd

Dec 11 19:06:21 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Starting Samba SMB Daemon...
    Dec 11 19:06:21 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: smb.service: Supervising process 3277 which is not our ch
    Dec 11 19:06:21 localhost.localdomain smbd[3277]: [2017/12/11 19:06:21.884341, 0] ../lib/util/become_daemo
    Dec 11 19:06:21 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Started Samba SMB Daemon.
    Dec 11 19:06:21 localhost.localdomain smbd[3277]: STATUS=daemon 'smbd' finished starting up and ready to
    lines 1-17/17 (END)

and

Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/nmb.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
    Active: active (running) since Mon 2017-12-11 19:06:27 EST; 4min 31s ago
    Main PID: 3292 (nmbd)
    Tasks: 1 (limit: 4915)
    CGroup: /system.slice/nmb.service
    └─3292 /usr/sbin/nmbd

Dec 11 19:06:27 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Stopped Samba NMB Daemon.
    Dec 11 19:06:27 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Stopping Samba NMB Daemon...
    Dec 11 19:06:27 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Starting Samba NMB Daemon...
    Dec 11 19:06:27 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: nmb.service: Supervising process 3292 which is not our ch
    Dec 11 19:06:27 localhost.localdomain nmbd[3292]: [2017/12/11 19:06:27.989856, 0] ../lib/util/become_daemo
    Dec 11 19:06:27 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Started Samba NMB Daemon.
    Dec 11 19:06:27 localhost.localdomain nmbd[3292]: STATUS=daemon 'nmbd' finished starting up and ready to
    lines 1-16/16 (END)

I can mount the Samba shares from the media server to the Fedora 27 desktop using the command line or via a line in /etc/fstab. Both worked. I wrote a script to mount the shares in lieu of connecting automatically.

I ran testparm on smb.conf - numerous times. It's all been a variation of:

# testparm /etc/samba/smb.conf
    Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
    rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
    Loaded services file OK.
    Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions

----

I know more information is available from different commands. But this already may be too much information.

Thanks for your time and help.

----

Below is a little history of what has worked and is still working:

Hi. I want to connect to folders/files on a media server that currently runs Linux Mint. (Before Mint this server ran a headless Debian server install; before that, a headless Ubuntu server). There are four or five Samba shares on this server, depending on what I'm doing.

Until now every desktop and laptop on my local network has connected to every Samba share on that media server - whether the server ran Mint, Debian or Ubuntu. This includes three desktops running various versions of Windows; five dual boot laptops running Windows and various versions of Linux; and a dual boot desktop initially running Windows Vista and now Windows 7 and Linux Mint or Debian (when I say "or" I mean at one time it ran Windows/Mint and later Windows/Debian.

I can also connect to the Samba media server shares when I boot to Windows 7 using the computer upon which I installed Fedora 27.

I also have three Android tablets that connect to the Samba shares on the media server.

All of these are connected, working, sharing, etc. as I write this.
    Last edited by gmach24; 12th December 2017 at 01:43 AM.

Just a thought. Open a terminal on the client machine and run journalctl -f. Watch the output of the command in the terminal while you try to connect to the samba share using your preferred method. See i f there is any interesting output from journalctl that relates to samba.
    Glenn
    The Bassinator

Hi. Again, thanks for your time and help.

I'm not sure how this happened, but:

I am now able to connect to the Samba shares on the media server by doing:

Files>Other Locations>

And then typing in smb://mediaservername/

in the "Connect to Server" window.

Previously I have not been able to do this even if I typed in the local ip address of the mediaserver instead of its host name.

Once I click "connect" (or press "enter") I get a list of all the shares on the media server. I need sign in only once.

Not sure what changed - but I am also able to sign in via ssh to the media server using its hostname instead of its local ip address. Previously I had to sign in like so

#ssh username@xxx.xxx.x.xxx

where the xs are the local ip address.

Prior to all this I did as you suggested. Ran

#run journalctl -f

but the output is so far over my head. I will retry this after I'm sure the Samba connection persists after reboots, etc.

Again, thanks for your time and knowledge.
    Last edited by gmach24; 13th December 2017 at 12:00 AM.