FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Cannot connect to Samba shares after Fedora 27 install

Hi. So, I am done with this subject. I don't know if it can be marked "solved" as I still cannot connect to the Samba media server via Activities>Files>Other Locations>Windows Network but can via Activities>Files>Other Locations>Connect To Server>smb://servername/

The last things I did to double check were:

1. Make certain /etc/hostname was the name I wanted for the Fedora 27 desktop; and that this name matched the 'net bios' name in /etc/samba/smb.conf.

2. Make certain /etc/hosts had a line with the server local IP address and name:

xxx.xxx.x.xxx servername

3. Make certain all information in /etc/samba/smb.conf was correct and that

$testparm /etc/samba/smb.conf

did not yield errors.

Thanks to people who gave their time and knowledge. If I figure out the final "how to" for this I will post it.
    Last edited by gmach24; 19th December 2017 at 10:39 PM.

I have encountered the same situation using Mate and caja as the file manager. I do not see the contents of the network, but if I enter the name of the server (smb://servername/) it connects and I can "browse" the file system thereafter.

Quote Originally Posted by gmach24
    Hi. So, I am done with this subject. I don't know if it can be marked "solved" as I still cannot connect to the Samba media server via Activities>Files>Other Locations>Windows Network but can via Activities>Files>Other Locations>Connect To Server>smb://servername/

The last things I did to double check were:

1. Make certain /etc/hostname was the name I wanted for the Fedora 27 desktop; and that this name matched the 'net bios' name in /etc/samba/smb.conf.

2. Make certain /etc/hosts had a line with the server local IP address and name:

xxx.xxx.x.xxx servername

3. Make certain all information in /etc/samba/smb.conf was correct and that

$testparm /etc/samba/smb.conf

did not yield errors.

Thanks to people who gave their time and knowledge. If I figure out the final "how to" for this I will post it.
    The issue is with version 4.7 of Samba. They implemented a stricter security level. I had the same issue and found the fix on a Manjaro forum. Add client max protocol = NT1 to your smb.conf under the Global section and restart.

Quote Originally Posted by Trav1sty
    The issue is with version 4.7 of Samba. They implemented a stricter security level. I had the same issue and found the fix on a Manjaro forum. Add client max protocol = NT1 to your smb.conf under the Global section and restart.
    Unfortunately setting client max protocol does not seem to help.

Also, prior to F27, I was connecting without any specific host setting, relying on DHCP via my router.

Quote Originally Posted by richengland
    Unfortunately setting client max protocol does not seem to help.

Also, prior to F27, I was connecting without any specific host setting, relying on DHCP via my router.
    Well, after at least two updates this appears to have been fixed by one of them which, regrettably I can't identify. My Places>Network now shows all the expected systems and navigating to them via Caja works.

I've found that on one system that was updated from F26 to F27 when I use rpm -qa | grep -i samba I see the following packages:

samba-client-libs-4.7.4-2.fc27.x86_64
    samba-client-4.7.4-2.fc27.x86_64
    samba-common-libs-4.7.4-2.fc27.x86_64
    samba-common-4.7.4-2.fc27.noarch

On this system, using Activities>Files>Other Locations>Windows Network did NOT show the expected Samba servers/file systems I knew to be available.

However, dnf install samba installed the following:

python2-talloc-2.1.11-1.fc27.x86_64
    samba-libs-2:4.7.4-2.fc27.x86_64
    samba-common-tools-2:4.7.4-2.fc27.x86_64
    samba-2:4.7.4-2.fc27.x86_64

After running systemctl restart smb I can now use Activities>Files>Other Locations>Windows Network to show the Windows and other Samba systems as they used to appear.

I'm not certain why an update from F26 to F27 would have removed necessary packages or what code reorg would have disable this but it is working as expected.

Hopefully this can help someone else.
    Last edited by richengland; 24th January 2018 at 11:27 PM.

@richengland and Trav1sty

What an unbridled pain in the patoot!

Thank you for your posts. I had not checked this forum for more than a month - I'd given up resolving this issue.

However, adding "client max protocol = NT1" to the global section of the smb.conf file and restarting samba seems to have fixed the problem. As I'd kept my system up-to-date I already had the latest samba packages. But without the "client max protocol = NT1" line I still could not connect via Files>Other Locations>Windows Network etc.

Now I can.
    Last edited by gmach24; 21st February 2018 at 04:11 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2