FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Problems Running VirtualBox on F27

Attempting to get VirtualBox 5.2.2 r119230 from the website running on Fedora 27.

I get the following error message when I attempt to start the program:

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing

'/sbin/vboxconfig'

as root.

where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT.

So I then ran the following:

[root@lizzie Lizzie]# cd /usr/src/kernels
    [root@lizzie kernels]# ls
    4.13.13-300.fc27.x86_64 4.13.15-300.fc27.x86_64 4.13.16-300.fc27.x86_64
    [root@lizzie kernels]# export KERN_DIR=/usr/src/kernels/4.13.16-300.fc27.x86_64
    [root@lizzie kernels]# /usr/lib/virtualbox/vboxdrv.sh setup

With the following error message:

vboxdrv.sh: Stopping VirtualBox services.
    vboxdrv.sh: Building VirtualBox kernel modules.
    vboxdrv.sh: failed: Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong.

With the following message in the log file:

tail /var/log/vbox-install.log
    /bin/false)
    mkdir -p /lib/modules/4.13.16-300.fc27.x86_64/misc
    make -f ./scripts/Makefile.modinst
    mkdir -p /lib/modules/4.13.16-300.fc27.x86_64/misc ; cp /tmp/vbox.0/vboxpci.ko /lib/modules/4.13.16-300.fc27.x86_64/misc ; true /lib/modules/4.13.16-300.fc27.x86_64/misc/vboxpci.ko ; scripts/sign-file "sha256" "certs/signing_key.pem" certs/signing_key.x509 /lib/modules/4.13.16-300.fc27.x86_64/misc/vboxpci.ko || true && true /lib/modules/4.13.16-300.fc27.x86_64/misc/vboxpci.ko
    At main.c:160:
    - SSL error:02001002:system library:fopen:No such file or directory: crypto/bio/bss_file.c:74
    - SSL error:2006D080:BIO routines:BIO_new_file:no such file: crypto/bio/bss_file.c:81
    sign-file: certs/signing_key.pem: No such file or directory
    /bin/sh ./scripts/depmod.sh /sbin/depmod 4.13.16-300.fc27.x86_64 ""
    /tmp/vbox.0/Makefile.include.header:99: *** The variable KERN_DIR must be a kernel build folder and end with /build without a trailing slash, or KERN_VER must be set. Stop.

Any suggestions as to what I need to do to resolve this problem?

Lizzie

Re: Problems Running VirtualBox on F27

Update your system. Reboot. Install kernel-devel-$(uname -r). Rerun /usr/lib/virtualbox/vboxdrv.sh setup

Take pointers from my install script. https://forums.fedoraforum.org/showt...llation-script
    Glenn
    The Bassinator

Quote Originally Posted by glennzo
    Update your system. Reboot. Install kernel-devel-$(uname -r). Rerun /usr/lib/virtualbox/vboxdrv.sh setup

Take pointers from my install script. https://forums.fedoraforum.org/showt...llation-script
    System has been updated. Kernel-devel has been installed. Still received the same error messages as before when i ran vboxdrv.sh. I looked at you installation script, i just plain do not know enough to really understand it. Any additional assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Lizzie

I am also having the same problem. Still trying to figure out. . .

Have a look at https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/que...dules-signing/. I think there may be some information that pertains to your issues regarding unsigned kernel modules. This is something I haven't had to deal with but I see this mentioned quite often.
    Glenn
    The Bassinator

Quote Originally Posted by glennzo
    Have a look at https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/que...dules-signing/. I think there may be some information that pertains to your issues regarding unsigned kernel modules. This is something I haven't had to deal with but I see this mentioned quite often.
    Went to the link you provided and it sent me to an updated version of the article at https://gorka.eguileor.com/vbox-vmwa...x-2016-update/ .

One of the first steps it has you do is to check vboxdrv with the following command: modprobe -v vboxdrv

When I did this I got a different error message thatn the one that he appears to be discussing. My error message is as follows:

sudo modprobe -v vboxdrv
    modprobe: FATAL: Module vboxdrv not found in directory /lib/modules/4.13.16-302.fc27.x86_64.

Lizzie

Just to be sure. uname -r will show a version of the kernel. Check that version against rpm -q kernel-* and make sure it's the same number. I suspect Glenn's right though and it's some sort of signing issue.

Found an easy way out -- Disable the security boot.

Actually I have been doing this for quite some time. This is a new machine, and I forgot this step. Also I just switched from Ubuntu to Fedora.

This is a new Ryzen 7 1700 machine with RX 550; the VMs are on an SSD USB stick. Runs super fast!

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie
    Went to the link you provided and it sent me to an updated version of the article at https://gorka.eguileor.com/vbox-vmwa...x-2016-update/ .

One of the first steps it has you do is to check vboxdrv with the following command: modprobe -v vboxdrv

When I did this I got a different error message thatn the one that he appears to be discussing. My error message is as follows:

sudo modprobe -v vboxdrv
    modprobe: FATAL: Module vboxdrv not found in directory /lib/modules/4.13.16-302.fc27.x86_64.

Lizzie
    One of the other things the thread talks about is signing the kernel module. That's what Im referring to. This is something I haven't had to deal with, but apparently necessary if you're using secure boot.
    Glenn
    The Bassinator

Re: Problems Running VirtualBox on F27 (Resolved)

For whatever reason, VBox is now operational. On a whim this morning, I decided to try and start it. It started right up. Somebondy somewhere did something and the problem has been resolved.

Lizzie

Re: Problems Running VirtualBox on F27 (Resolved)

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie
    For whatever reason, VBox is now operational. On a whim this morning, I decided to try and start it. It started right up. Somebondy somewhere did something and the problem has been resolved.

Lizzie
    I have found this issue many times, and it usually happens when I install VBox, and "then" I decide to upgrade the OS (which changes the kernel version numbers). Somehow the vboxconfig seems to "like" old kernel version numbers in the kernel-devel package. It maybe an interesting idea to always remove all the old kernel-devel packages when doing an upgrade, and then seeing if the vboxconfig exists and runs.

EDIT: maybe someone at VBox should run a "uname -a" to see what is actually running, before trying to compile a kernel module.
    "monsters John ... monsters from the ID..."
    "ma vule teva maar gul nol naya"