FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Is it still a bad idea to run dnf update from inside the desktop environment?

I've always run 'dnf upgrade' from inside a terminal in KDE, but recently it was said that was dangerous?
    Was that a one time issue that's fixed now?

To be safe I log out of KDE and run the dnf update from a text virtual console but that's a hassle and prefer to go back to my old way in the DE.

Re: Is it still a bad idea to run dnf update from inside the desktop environment?

I do it all the time, inside a terminal within LXDE. XFCE and Gnome. Never have an issue.
    Glenn
    The Bassinator

Re: Is it still a bad idea to run dnf update from inside the desktop environment?

There is no danger now. KDE won't or should not crash on you part way through a dnf update. In the past, some of the updates were applicable to KDE, to the very version you were using. That resulted in the dnf installation of updates being incompatible with your active version, leading to a KDE user crash.

Have you looked at dnfdragora? Its a pretty good GUI interface for doing updates. It replaces the yumex predecessor. I make use of dnfdragon more often than doing a "sudo dnf update"
    Last edited by lsatenstein; 3rd December 2017 at 04:17 PM.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Its been my SOP for years to use a Gnome terminal session. Used it for "yum" then continued with "dnf" for both my local system and remotes via "ssh".
    Laptop: ASUS K61IC/ Intel T6600 2.20Ghz x2/ 4GB/ 320GB SataII/ NVidia G96M/ fc27.x86_64
    Tower: GigaByte (990FXA)/ AMD 1100T 3.3Ghz x6/ 16GB/ 7.5TB Sata III/ AMD 6770HD/ fc27.x86_64
    Bookshelf: Shuttle DS61 (H61)/ i3-3225 3.3Ghz x2/ 16GB/ 320GB Sata II/ Intel HD 4000/ fc26.x86_64
    Embedded: BeagleBone Blk / ARM AM3358 1 GHz x1/ 512MB/ 2GB eMMC/ PowerVR SGX530/ fc27.armv7hl

I too have have always used Gnome terminal.
    On one occasion, a year or two ago, I had a small issue which required a reboot to resolve. I think it was caused by an update of mutter. I think that is the main risk; updating desktop components.
    It is my habit to always reboot after updating and to have only the terminal running during the update.

I only reboot if there is a kernel update. One advantage of running in gnome terminal, is the ability to scroll. Gnome terminal keeps a history of a thousand or so of the last lines of display. Its nice to scroll back to see what's really new.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

I was using gnome-terminal until it started to use true transparency. I quite like having the "fake" transparency where you get your background image displayed in the terminal rather than all the windows actually underneath it which I find completely confusing to the eye. I'm currently using lxterminal for that reason. Never had a problem running dnf under Window Maker in gnome or lx terminal.

In a Gnome terminal window do:
    RightClick->Profiles->Profile Preferences->Colours
    Deselect 'Transparent background'
    and change whatever other settings you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by kldixon
    In a Gnome terminal window do:
    RightClick->Profiles->Profile Preferences->Colours
    Deselect 'Transparent background'
    and change whatever other settings you want to.
    But I don't want to disable transparency. Transparency in most terminals is "real" transparency these days, so if you have a browser underneath you can see the text in the browser through the terminal - I find this hard to read the terminal text over the top of the other text. The old style "fake" transparency where the correct part of desktop wallpaper is displayed as the terminal window background with any windows underneath ignored is what I prefer.

Having said that I just fired up gnome-terminal and transparency doesn't work at all now in Window Maker.

Quote Originally Posted by HaydnH
    I was using gnome-terminal until it started to use true transparency. I quite like having the "fake" transparency where you get your background image displayed in the terminal rather than all the windows actually underneath it which I find completely confusing to the eye. I'm currently using lxterminal for that reason. Never had a problem running dnf under Window Maker in gnome or lx terminal.
    I am the exact opposite, I love the transparent terminal, and hated that the background was "Recreated" inside the terminal.

Quote Originally Posted by evilbastard
    I am the exact opposite, I love the transparent terminal, and hated that the background was "Recreated" inside the terminal.
    I can understand using the background was a simple way of "faking" transparency back in the day, but it's a shame all the terminals are "fixing" it without leaving an option for the old style.

Quote Originally Posted by HaydnH
    I can understand using the background was a simple way of "faking" transparency back in the day, but it's a shame all the terminals are "fixing" it without leaving an option for the old style.
    Maybe it was eating up resources? The terminal window had to keep track of the position then recreate the background image on where the new window position is.