FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Disabling keyboard shortcut "ALT", for moving Windows, does not work.

Hi there,

I am using Fedora 27 Cinnamon Spin, and I try to disable Keyboard shortcut "ALT", which, when holding it down, it would change the mouse pointer to "Hand Grab" look and the Window would be grabbed along with it. However, disabling it does not seem to work currently.

Here are the steps that I used.
    1. Navigated to "System Settings", "Keyboard", "Shortcuts" (Tab), "Categories", "Windows" (Drop-down), and chose "unassigned" on nearly all the options available on the right pane.
    2. I closed all the windows that I have.
    3. By holding down the "ALT" key, I notice that I can't disable it successfully.

I hope someone can help.

Thank you.

Re: Disabling keyboard shortcut "ALT", for moving Windows, does not work.

Not sure if dconf-editor is on your system. If so
    use dconf-editor:

Start the dconf-editor and follow the schema to /org/gnome/desktop/wm/keybindings/
    scroll the keybindings. to the ones that you want to mask out.

Uncheck the default for the "ones you want to neutralize and squeeze out the settings, leaving only []
    (empty)
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Thank you so much. The new and revamping "dconf Editor" looks much better than in the past. Also, what I have done below, did not get saved at all. So, there must be a bug in "Fedora 27 Cinnamon Spin", then

1. Navigated to "System Settings", "Keyboard", "Shortcuts" (Tab), "Categories", "Windows" (Drop-down), and chose "unassigned" on nearly all the options available on the right pane.
    3. By holding down the "ALT" key, I notice that I can't disable it successfully.

I also can see that the many keyboard shortcuts in "dconf Editor" shown differently than in "System Settings".

Quote Originally Posted by Sethanath
    Hi there,

I am using Fedora 27 Cinnamon Spin, and I try to disable Keyboard shortcut "ALT", which, when holding it down, it would change the mouse pointer to "Hand Grab" look and the Window would be grabbed along with it. However, disabling it does not seem to work currently.

Here are the steps that I used.

I hope someone can help.

Thank you.
    I have just found another way to fix this problem. It is "System Settings", "Windows", "Behavior", and under "Moving and Resizing Windows". There is a setting there, which would disabling "ALT".