FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool Just ordered my new Desktop PC

The parts started arriving, as follows:

Corsair CP-9020097-EU VS Serie VS550 80 Plus ATX Power Supply (230V, 550W)
    Palit NE51060015J9-1060D GeForce GTX 1060 Dual 6 GB Video card (GDDR5, 8000 MHz, 16x PCI-Express 3.0)
    SanDisk Ultra II Intern SSD 500GB Sata III 2,5 (will couple to another one I got, plus a 4TB seagate hybrid)
    Game Max Draco Gaming-Desktop Case black-glass
    AMD Ryzen 5 1600X AM4 (SixCore) Summit Ridge 6x 3.6 GHz
    16 GB DDR4 2133Mhz
    ASUS Prime B350M-A Motherboard

I do hope fedora runs on it, I reckon it will r0x!
    It's been a few hard years for the old AMD A4-5300 and GTX650Ti with 8GBRAM, which I will now ebay out the door. hehe.
    "monsters John ... monsters from the ID..."
    "ma vule teva maar gul nol naya"

Re: Just ordered my new Desktop PC

Good luck with that, it looks like a nice balanced upgrade. Consider holding off selling the old PC for at least a month after you've built the new PC to allow a decent period to assess whether your new kit is stable and an RMA isn't likely to be required on anything.

For the system you ordered, that system is going to be great. You will be pleased with the choices. One choice I would make if it is not too late, and recommend, is to go for faster DDR4 memory.

Happy will be the feeling of speed, when you compare you new system to your existing one.

To have some fun and really feel GREAT, do some benchmark comparisons, new vs old system. Measure elapsed times.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein
    For the system you ordered, that system is going to be great. You will be pleased with the choices. One choice I would make if it is not too late, and recommend, is to go for faster DDR4 memory.

Happy will be the feeling of speed, when you compare you new system to your existing one.

To have some fun and really feel GREAT, do some benchmark comparisons, new vs old system. Measure elapsed times.
    Unfortu-nate-ly, the RAM came with the Mobo and CPU as a set. So I'll just wait a while, maybe when I upgrade to 32GB maybe a good idea swapping them all.
    I am finishing the new version of my galactic colonization, exploration and combat/trade game, and my new galaxy is "moving", that gives me the ability to run a bunch of "years" now, and make a chart, and compare with the new one when it arrives. Will do that. (using Barnes-hut but modified by me for real 3D btw)

Yep, hold on to the older system for awhile until you 'know' all is well. Sounds like a good combo. No experience with ASUS motherboards.

I am using 2133Mhz DDR4 ram in my Ryzen system and seems plenty fast. I had hit the buy button to quick and didn't notice. But again, seems fast enough.

Ohh guys what a nightmare ! lol.

Well, tested the new motherboard with the Ryzen5 with the new video card, and the old videocard, to no avail. There is no output. All fans work fine, the connectors are plugged in fine. Tested with our without keyboard, or drives, or whatever config changes I could think of, and ZILCH.
    tested the Displayports, the HDMI, the DVI , on the video cards, and zilch.

Even with the mini PC-speaker connected, there is not even a single sound. The light in the back of the motherboard light up orange, and the network card seems to light up fine.

but zilch.....

So, I plugged in the new GTX 1060 into my old PC, and I am typing this now using that. So it is not a video card issue.

At this point I am in "send it back" mode. I will post around, maybe Asus can help out, we shall see.

Oh, also, I plugged in the 2 new TCSUN SSD drives, and reinstalled from scratch FC27 Xfce spin, and it flies, however, I am having a hell of a time trying to get rid of the nouveau driver , and make way for the NVIDIA one, (even though I have done it a zillion times before, this time it's proving more resilient) lol.

QUICK UPDATE: to finally be able to rmmod nouveau, I had to take out "rhgb" in the grub.cfg. I ended up installing the NVIDIA proprietary driver though. Next weekend with more time I will try a full reinstall with rpmfusion version, and see if I can get it working.
    Last edited by bobx001; 2nd December 2017 at 10:59 PM.

Quick update, after doing some RTFM, I noticed that the pre-installed motherboard, with CPU+Cooler + RAM, had the RAM placed in the wrong slots. A1/B1 , whereas, in the FM it says: A2/B2 ..... soooo, I am about to switch cases again, and see if that works. I am betting it will. My new beauty pimp-case has been lost by DHL somewhere, maybe next week sometime boohooo...
    Interestingly, my old Power Supply does not work with this new motherboard, the EATX plug is double the size nowadays, i.e. 8 pin plug instead of 4. So I am also using my new corsair power supply which looks *choice*, and nice cable protectors it's got.

no luck, sending the Mobo+CPU+RAM back to seller shop. cr4p.

That's unfortunate ...
    Fedora 27 x86_64 XFCE - Sager | Intel Core i7 - 4810 MQ | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M | 16 GB RAM | 480 GB ADATA SSD |
    Fedora 27 x86_64 XFCE - Dell Precision M4800 | Intel Core i7 - 4900 MQ | NVIDIA Quadro K1100M | 16 GB RAM | 750 GB 7200 RPM HDD |

The Linux Documentation Project | Fedora Documentation

Sorry to hear of the problems. Always a worry when you order cpu, mb, ram and then 'hope' it all works together...

Quote Originally Posted by rclark
    Sorry to hear of the problems. Always a worry when you order cpu, mb, ram and then 'hope' it all works together...
    Latest info: "Memory PC GmbH" got my old stuff, told me the memory was bad, and they are resending a "properly tested" combo.
    We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by bobx001
    Latest info: "Memory PC GmbH" got my old stuff, told me the memory was bad, and they are resending a "properly tested" combo.
    We shall see.
    That's certainly some good news ...
    Fedora 27 x86_64 XFCE - Sager | Intel Core i7 - 4810 MQ | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M | 16 GB RAM | 480 GB ADATA SSD |
    Fedora 27 x86_64 XFCE - Dell Precision M4800 | Intel Core i7 - 4900 MQ | NVIDIA Quadro K1100M | 16 GB RAM | 750 GB 7200 RPM HDD |

The Linux Documentation Project | Fedora Documentation

good to read, better luck with the new components.

Oh gosh, FINALLY !!!
    system is operational. EDIT: they decided to "replace the RAM, and send the mobo back", it works though !
    With a Corsair 570X box instead of the other one which never arrived. (Xmas shipping woes)

Interestingly, it reports 12 cpus, while this is only a 6-core Ryzen.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2017-12-11_20-23-23.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	29258

fast as all floating cows !
    BTW, I will post in the nvidia thread, the nouveau was instantly taken care of by just installing akmod-nvidia (plus gcc, dkms, kernel-devel).
    And the GTX 1060 is working awesome, in the /etc/default/grub it says modeset=1.

Congratulations Bob on receiving and starting up of your new system.

So, reaction time is as fast as an I/O interrupt.

I had purchased a 1700 cpu via Amazon, but the vendor turned out to be a fraud artist against Amazon. I am surprised that Amazon does not have any fraud detection software out there.

One way I thought of as a method to check for fraud is to just look for very late deliveries, eg. 4 business days. That does not mean that every vendor who is shipping late is fraudulent, but, it's a way to filter out the fraud artist at first level.
    Now going to wait for the January 2018 sales.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast