FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Angry Freeze when boot from USB - can't pass BIOS

Hi,

just got a new laptop with Windows 10 pre-installed. First think I'm doins is trying to install linux on it.

In BIOS setup, there is the option of booting from USB, and my flash drives are recognized, but the computer seem to be freezing right after "Press DEL to enter BIOS setup" every time I set it to boot from USB. I've tried a few flash drives and tested them on other computers, but no luck.

Have done this dozens of times and it's the first time I'm seeing this - also the first time I have a Win10 computer - so am wondering if windows 10 is "blocking" the BIOS to do that? Is there any chance of having "Win10" specific BIOS? Such that I won't be able to install linux on it at all?

Please appreciate a quick help - I have a week to decide if linux can be installed, otherwise I'll return this laptop.

BIOS American Megatrends Version 2.18.1263 - Core Version 5.12 - UEFI 2.5 - anything else?

Thanks!
    toca pra cima!

Re: Freeze when boot from USB - can't pass BIOS

On my HP -i3 windows 10/archlinux/Fedora26 laptop I can only use one of the usb ports (I believe it is usb2) to boot up a live fedora iso (usb). You might want to try the various ports.

Quote Originally Posted by donatom
    On my HP -i3 windows 10/archlinux/Fedora26 laptop I can only use one of the usb ports (I believe it is usb2) to boot up a live fedora iso (usb). You might want to try the various ports.
    tried all ports, no luck.

I've just read something about the flash drive partition be set to GPT/UEFI and not MBR/UEFI. But that didn't help either, at least using Rufus. May try other methods...
    toca pra cima!

Quote Originally Posted by Haphaeu
    Hi,

just got a new laptop with Windows 10 pre-installed. First think I'm doins is trying to install linux on it.

In BIOS setup, there is the option of booting from USB, and my flash drives are recognized, but the computer seem to be freezing right after "Press DEL to enter BIOS setup" every time I set it to boot from USB. I've tried a few flash drives and tested them on other computers, but no luck.

Have done this dozens of times and it's the first time I'm seeing this - also the first time I have a Win10 computer - so am wondering if windows 10 is "blocking" the BIOS to do that? Is there any chance of having "Win10" specific BIOS? Such that I won't be able to install linux on it at all?

Please appreciate a quick help - I have a week to decide if linux can be installed, otherwise I'll return this laptop.

BIOS American Megatrends Version 2.18.1263 - Core Version 5.12 - UEFI 2.5 - anything else?

Thanks!
    try turning off secureboot and switch the internal storage controller from RAID mode to AHCI if the setting is available in the UEFI firmware.

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    try turning off secureboot and switch the internal storage controller from RAID mode to AHCI if the setting is available in the UEFI firmware.
    Secure boot was off and controller set to AHCI, still no luck ��
    toca pra cima!

Try copying the iso directiy to the usb device using dd; Rufus and other live iso loaders are not always successful. The fedora iso when copied with dd will work on mbr and uefi booting systems.

Here is the command:
    Code:
    # dd if=/path/to/image.iso of=/dev/sdX bs=8M status=progress oflag=direct
    Make sure you are pointing to the usb device and not your laptop drive (probably of=sdb but use "fdisk -l" to make sure).
    Last edited by donatom; 27th November 2017 at 11:18 PM. Reason: adding information

I would also disable "fast boot" in bios. According to Rod Smith (uefi boot guru) fast boot can prevent usb drives from booting up.

tried using `dd`, also "fast boot" is disabled, still no luck.

all I get is a static cursor in a blank screen...

thanks for the tips so far anyway any more ideas are welcome!
    toca pra cima!

wow... finally some progress...

After a sequence of failures with Fedora, I tried other distros, Mint, Ubuntu, Manjaro, all without no success... but now finally the USB flash drive made with the `dd` command from an Arch Linux distro ISO booted!

Problem is that I'm not that keen to use arch. Strange that the Manjaro didn't work either, well... at least now I think it's ruled out that there's some kind of "block" in this laptop.
    toca pra cima!

Well, you could try burning the iso image to a dvd -- if you have one available -- and then try to install fedora using the dvd (provided the laptop has a dvd drive). Are you using the same iso you originally downloaded from Fedoraproject.org? If so, have you compared the check-sums of the image with those on the fedora download page (https://getfedora.org/verify)? Find out the checksum for your iso with the "#sha256sum /path/to/your/iso" command.

What is the make and model of your laptop? You might see if others are having the same trouble trying to boot usbs (using any flavor of Linux). They may have come up with a work-around.
    Last edited by donatom; 28th November 2017 at 08:28 PM. Reason: grammar correction

but now finally the USB flash drive made with the `dd` command from an Arch Linux distro ISO booted!
    That is very strange. If the iso for arch boots, then the others should boot as well. Did you copy the other isos to the usb drive the same way you copied the arch iso?

Are you using the same iso you originally downloaded from Fedoraproject.org? If so, have you compared the check-sums of the image with those on the fedora download page (https://getfedora.org/verify)?
    Yes. For every change I make to the USB flash drive, first I test it in another laptop (this I'm using now), and boot it until live interface comes up. So the drive should be ok.

What is the make and model of your laptop? You might see if others are having the same trouble trying to boot usbs (using any flavor of Linux). They may have come up with a work-around.
    Multicom Talisa U230
    It is a local brand, who builds budget laptops from tested parts from Asia. This was in a really good price for the finishing quality and for a "low specs" machine. But it is very local and not too many people using it, so I'm sure 99.99% of these folks are happy with Windows 10... to be honest I'm very much temped to return this laptop, for the fact that I have actually paid for Windows 10 =P
    toca pra cima!

That is very strange. If the iso for arch boots, then the others should boot as well. Did you copy the other isos to the usb drive the same way you copied the arch iso?
    Yes, I'm sticking with the `dd` method you've suggested, for example:
    Code:
    sudo dd if=/mnt/data/Downloadz/manjaro-xfce-17.0.5-stable-x86_64.iso  of=/dev/sdc bs=8M status=progress oflag=direct
    By looking at the files inside the ISO images, I can see that the Arch Linux has a slight different and more complex structure inside the EFI folder:

Code:
    ArchLinux.iso
        + EFI
            |  shellx64_v1.efi
            |  shellx64_v1.efi
            + archiso
            |     efiboot.img
            + boot
                |  bootx64.efi
                |  HashTool.efi
                |  loader.efi

while most of the other have:
        + EFI
            + boot
                   bootx64.efi
    toca pra cima!

Quote Originally Posted by Haphaeu
    . . . and boot it until live interface comes up. So the drive should be ok.
    The usb drive may be okay but the iso itself could very well be corrupt. If you haven't already, download another fedora iso (I would choose the xfce4 spin). Copy it to the drive and see if it boots.

The usb drive may be okay but the iso itself could very well be corrupt. If you haven't already, download another fedora iso (I would choose the xfce4 spin). Copy it to the drive and see if it boots.
    I did the exercise of downloading all sha1 files for the ISO files and compared, all fine.

Canīt think of anything else to do Iīve contacted the shop to get a ticket to return this POS
    toca pra cima!