FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Fedora 27 successfully installed and running on QNAP TS-251+ hardware.

New to Fedora and this forum, I did a quick search and didn't find anything about this so I figured I would join up and post.

I have a QNAP TS-251+ that I migrated all the data off to another NAS system (Rockstor) so I was curious if I could load Rockstor on the QNAP, well it worked, so today I installed Fedora 27 Workstation on it and it runs really well, in fact i am writing this in Chrome on it right now while listening to streaming music and backing up data to it from my windows gaming rig.

Spec wise it has a Celeron J1900 2GHz Quad Core and had already been upgraded to 8GB of memory, it has dual 1GB NICS and 2 drive bays. The onboard video uses a HDMI port and the resolution tops out at 1920x1080.

The Qnap would only boot from 1 of the USB ports, which I found out when installing Rockstor, the install of Fedora 27 Workstation went smooth, found everything hardware wise right from the beginning. The internal storage that came with it was only a 500Mb eUSB SSD plugged into a USB header on the system board, that was replaced with a USB header cable, then plugged it into an Intel SSD using a Micro-B USD to SATA adapter from an external USB drive. I did have to clearance the drive cage to clear the USB cable as it is taller than the eUSB drive was. You can buy larger eUSB SSD’s but but the largest I found was 8Gb and was around $100, so I used what I had on hand, a 250Gb Intel SATA SSD. Going this route leaves both drive bays open for anything you want, there is room inside the case for the small SSD, just attached it to the top of the drive cage with double sided tape.

The only thing missing was sound, and being I wanted to use this as my main home PC I really needed sound, so I picked up a Bluetooth USB adapter for $30 dollars and a cheap $20 Bluetooth speaker, installed automatically and works perfectly.

The keyboard, mouse, and Bluetooth adapter are plugged into the rear of the box leaving the front USB port open.

I hooked it up to a kill-a-watt meter, it averages 15 watts just surfing and listening to music, the highest it has been was 25 watts when I was copying data over to it.

eUSB that came with the QNAP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eUSB.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	29228

USB Header on the board that the eUSB used to be plugged into, replaced with a USB cable from an old case.

Name:	USBheader.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	159.0 KB 
ID:	29229

Micro-B USD to SATA adapter from an external USB drive

Name:	USBtoSATA.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	152.9 KB 
ID:	29230
    Last edited by ecook280; 25th November 2017 at 08:58 AM.

Re: Fedora 27 successfully installed and running on QNAP TS-251+ hardware.

nice work, thanks for sharing your modifications and experience with Fedora on this hardware

Well I did some disk benchmarks, with the SSD attached to USB header I was seeing average read rate of 44MB/s and average seek time of 0.44 msec. I moved the SSD to one of the disk bays and as I figured, it was a lot faster and Fedora is even more responsive getting 392.3 MB/s average read time and 0.17 average seek time. Since I only planned on adding a 3TB WD drive to it for backups I left the SSD in the first drive bay since it makes Fedora run even better than it did. As a point of reference, the 3TB WD Black installed in the 2nd drive bay gets 118.5 MB/s read and 15.64 msec access times.

it's a USB 2.0 header so the device was restricted by the limitations of the USB 2.0 bus speed, if it were USB 3.0 or greater you would have had the bandwidth of the internal bay you moved it to with that Intel drive.