FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

TV display power management thru HDMI not possible?

I use a digital TV as a monitor and whenever I use DVI, the power management works as expected (it goes to standby, then power off).

But after I connect to HDMI, the TV never powers off per PC request, except that it has its own 4-hour timer to power off when no button had been pressed, which is a little ridiculous compared to my setting of 1 hour.

I found the reason is that TV HDMI does not use DPMS, only CEC power management. And that the TV does not receive any signal when it is turned on manually after PC video output powers off, because TV cannot tell the PC to turn on the video output.

Should I have gotten a monitor instead? Is there any way for a digital TV, Smart TV, etc. to disable CEC and enable DPMS? Can I turn on CEC power management on the video card using some Linux software?

Re: TV display power management thru HDMI not possible?

It's not really possible to modify the power management settings of the TV in that manner, even if you access the engineer mode the capability won't be there.

Ideally, yes a monitor is better because you have get a much sharper image and better colour accuracy (unless it's cheap and shockingly poor quality panel)

Re: TV display power management thru HDMI not possible?

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    It's not really possible to modify the power management settings of the TV in that manner, even if you access the engineer mode the capability won't be there.

Ideally, yes a monitor is better because you have get a much sharper image and better colour accuracy (unless it's cheap and shockingly poor quality panel)
    Thank you for the response, albeit a disappointing news. The monitor cost almost twice as much as a TV for the same size. so I guess that's the reason.

For now, I turned off the DPMS power management in Linux, and just made sure to always turn off the TV whenever I'm stopping out or when I'm putting the PC to suspend mode.

PS: I also found a way to make sure the TV never loses signal, by always turning on the TV after the PC is fully awake from suspend,
    Last edited by osce0; 26th November 2017 at 08:18 AM.