FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Running Fedora 26 in Ryzen 7 1700

I will be purchasing 2x8gigs 1500 speed.
    For Ryzen MBs, DD4 starts at 2133, then 2400, up to 3200. at least on my motherboard.

As for Arduino, could have been the upgrade from 26 to 27.... I may go back some time and install 27 from scratch and see. Maybe sooner than later as I can't get the Nvidia driver to work with Lubuntu for the 1050ti board and VLC shows a black screen with sound. However while I work on my RPI/Arduino project, I'll stay with Lubuntu.

Speaking of backups, I can't believe how low prices are for a external HDDs. I just bought a 8T drive for $150. Not that I need all that storage, but I figure it probably is about time for a new one anyway, as my current local backup drive (3T) is several years old now. Yes, I keep multiple backups and off-site backups (snapshots) too.
    Last edited by rclark; 27th November 2017 at 12:19 AM.

a backup isn't a backup unless there are multiple copies, so that's wise practice. I don't know where the 1500 speed (unless it means PC4-15000 which equates to DDR4-1866). Leslie, double check the RAM is DDR4 before you buy and go for DDR4-2666 minimum with the Ryzen 1700.

Well, I installed F27 cleanly just to try and see if the Arduino would work. Is has the same error when compiling a script, from the error it looks like the ide is not synced with the builder properly. So it is 'broken' install.
    Code:
    Arduino: 1.8.4 (Linux), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

/usr/share/arduino/arduino-builder -dump-prefs -logger=machine -hardware /usr/share/arduino/hardware -built-in-libraries /usr/share/arduino/libraries -libraries /home/rclark/Arduino/libraries -fqbn=arduino:avr:uno -ide-version=10804 -build-path /tmp/arduino_build_314859 -warnings=none -build-cache /tmp/arduino_cache_72414 -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -verbose /home/rclark/Arduino/sketch_blink/sketch_blink.ino
    Parameter 'tools' is mandatory
    Usage of /usr/share/arduino/arduino-builder:
      -build-cache string
        	builds of 'core.a' are saved into this folder to be cached and reused
      -build-options-file string
        	Instead of specifying --hardware, --tools etc every time, you can load all such options from a file
      -build-path string
        	build path
      -built-in-libraries value
        	Specify a built-in 'libraries' folder. These are low priority libraries. Can be added multiple times for specifying multiple built-in 'libraries' folders
      -compile
        	compiles the given sketch
      -core-api-version string
        	version of core APIs (used to populate ARDUINO #define) (default "10600")
      -debug-level int
        	Turns on debugging messages. The higher, the chattier (default 5)
      -dump-prefs
        	dumps build properties used when compiling
      -fqbn string
        	fully qualified board name
      -hardware value
        	Specify a 'hardware' folder. Can be added multiple times for specifying multiple 'hardware' folders
      -ide-version string
        	[deprecated] use 'core-api-version' instead (default "10600")
      -libraries value
        	Specify a 'libraries' folder. Can be added multiple times for specifying multiple 'libraries' folders
      -logger string
        	Sets type of logger. Available values are 'human', 'machine' (default "human")
      -prefs value
        	Specify a custom preference. Can be added multiple times for specifying multiple custom preferences
      -preprocess
        	preprocess the given sketch
      -quiet
        	if 'true' doesn't print any warnings or progress or whatever
      -tools value
        	Specify a 'tools' folder. Can be added multiple times for specifying multiple 'tools' folders
      -verbose
        	if 'true' prints lots of stuff
      -version
        	prints version and exits
      -vid-pid string
        	specify to use vid/pid specific build properties, as defined in boards.txt
      -warnings string
        	Sets warnings level. Available values are 'none', 'default', 'more' and 'all'

Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Uno.
    I also had to install F27 twice, because the first time it used LVM which I don't want to use in a home user context. Just extra overhead. Other than that it installed just fine ... twice. Had to install, remove and install VirtualBox too to get it installed properly.

Until I can get the Arduino package working, I am not going to worry about getting NVidia driver working. No point.
    Last edited by rclark; 29th November 2017 at 07:17 AM.

my $0.02 question: (I think I am on the right thread to ask this)

I just ordered my new Desktop system with an ASUS PRIME B350M-A mobo + Ryzen 5 cpu , and I also got an Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB (Palit dual).
    Now, the motherboard says it has:
    Integrated AMD Radeon™ R Series Graphics in the 7th Generation A-Series APU
    Multi-VGA output support : HDMI/DVI/RGB ports
    - Supports HDMI 1.4b with max. resolution 4096 x 2160 @ 24 Hz / 2560 x 1600 @ 60 Hz
    - Supports DVI-D with max. resolution 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

However, I also have the nice GTX1060 with ports aplenty.

Here is my question: running FC27, could I possibly connect say the Mobo HDMI port to my TV, and then the GTX 1060 to my work monitors, and have both somehow work together ? This is stuff I haven't tried to do in like 10+ years, and I wonder if it's at all possible under Xorg and FC27. I will be running Xfce or LXDE.
    "monsters John ... monsters from the ID..."
    "ma vule teva maar gul nol naya"

Thank you so much for doing the testing. I feel bad to have given you a bad advice and let you do all the hard work.

I was wondering whether you would be interested in a proposition?

I will pay for you to have a new Radeon card at a price similar to what you paid for your new Nvidia card. The detailed logistics can be worked out in private. I am very happy with my (Ryzen + Radeon + amdgup) combo and do not foresee any need for an Nvidia card. You can keep your Nvidia card, or, if you are kind enough, try to sell it and mail me the net proceed? Of course you can keep both cards if you don't like the Radeon card.

? ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by bobx001
    Here is my question: running FC27, could I possibly connect say the Mobo HDMI port to my TV, and then the GTX 1060 to my work monitors, and have both somehow work together ? This is stuff I haven't tried to do in like 10+ years, and I wonder if it's at all possible under Xorg and FC27. I will be running Xfce or LXDE.
    the mobo HDMI requires an APU which are yet to be released to market (scheduled for early 2018). The Ryzen 5 is not an APU as it's not got the onboard GPU components, so only the NVIDIA GTX will output any graphics in your system.

ASUS PRIME B350M-A mobo + Ryzen 5 cpu
    Antikythera is correct. My motherboard came APU ready also, but the Ryzen CPUs (3, 5, 7 series) do not have integrated graphics on board. Therefore the Nvidia Card will be your only graphics adapter.

{edited} Since a bit off-topic, didn't make a new post. Went back to LUbuntu 17.10 at lunch today... and now back to where I was plus got the NVidia 387.xx driver to work on that platform with the NVidia 1050ti card. Furmark Window Benchmark 122fps. Nouveau posted a whopping 7fps score. Nouveau has a looooong way to go to catch up. Slightly better I'd say... Arduino IDE back working. VLC works fine. Beep checked the virtualbox and a VM came up running, so there. Now back to that 'w' place.
    Last edited by rclark; 29th November 2017 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    the mobo HDMI requires an APU which are yet to be released to market (scheduled for early 2018).
    Thanks.

This is the main reason why I am so interested in the new generation Radeon chips. Not Radeon per se, but the Ryzen Mobile (Ryzen + Vega/Radeon) APU.

But more important, I am most interested in how the "in-kernel" amdgpu works with the Ryzen/Radeon combo in more demanding conditions.

We have a pro bono project helping seniors use (Linux) computers. The key is not for us to do all the work, but to train some seniors who can later help others. Having to use proprietary video drivers has been a constant nightmare. And there is no reason why seniors have to be confined to the lowly Intel GPUs.

A few weeks ago, BestBuy had the first batch of HP Ryzen Mobil 2-in-1 laptops on sale at $600. I heard that they were all gone in one day.

Still kicking my own rear for not paying attention to the sale news.

thanks to the chipper-inners, I undersit now ! Well the GTX is the first thing to arrive, and I got it on the desk already, keeping it warm !
    "monsters John ... monsters from the ID..."
    "ma vule teva maar gul nol naya"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3