FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Fedora 26 in Ryzen 7 1700 + RX 550

As I mentioned in my other posts, I have been running AMD FX 8350 + RX 480 for about a year. This machine is faster than any of my i7 machines.

Then I saw Costco's flyer about Ryzen 7 1700 on sale for $599 (Ryzen 7 1700 + RX 550, 16GB); I know that I have to treat myself a Christmas present (or whatever).

After shrinking the Windows 10 partition to allocate 700 GB free space, Fedora 26 installs without a hitch. The installation process was also very fast (faster than all my previous experiences). Then all my post-installation desktop stuff. Again, everything went without a hitch!

There is no question that this is the fastest, smoothest, and coolest (pun intended) Linux desktop I have ever tested. Many thanks to the open source amdgpu driver developers! Look forward to the Ryzen mobile (integrated Ryzen + Vega?) notebooks. I think we finally have a winner!

Go Linux Desktops!!!
    Last edited by pingwu; 14th November 2017 at 08:23 AM.

Re: Running Fedora 26 in Ryzen 7 1700

Welcome to the wonderful world of AMD Ryzen. I built a system (motherboard, R5 1600, 16G RAM, SSD,) and I felt the same way coming from a Phenom x4... This is how a computer 'should run'. Quiet, fast, smooth, and the 'coolest' ... even with VMs up and running. My system is still running great. No problems, irritations encountered. In fact I have Nvidia 1050 ti card coming to replace the 750 ti board. I am going to put the 750 in another box which was having problems with a new 4K monitor.

Only mistake you make was to leave the Windoze partition hah! Oh, if your hard drive isn't an SSD already, you need to replace it .

Actually, without your "pioneering" studies, I don't think I will be gutsy enough to buy this machine. ( My AMD FX + RX 480 machine was working perfectly all right.) Thank you!

But the true star of the show actually is the (Radeon/Vega + amdgpu driver) combo. Having to use the always-half-baked proprietary video has always been a pain in the 8th. The performance of the new generation Radeon video card, especially its seamless integration with the Linux kernel through the open-source amdgpu driver, is truly astounding!

Again, I am really looking forward to upgrading all our Intel-based notebooks to Ryzen Mobil!

my concern with notebooks isn't whether they have Ryzen APU or not (although clearly it would be nice) but which wireless chip they throw in there with it and whether it's on PCI-E or USB bus. Especially now it looks like broadcom are going to buy a controlling stake in qualcomm atheros. At the moment atheros devices are reasonably okay because opensource drivers are good for linux. If broadcom do take over, this may change given their own attitude to driver development and maintenance. As for realtek...

Very good point!

But the wifi in my chromebooks (plural, different brands) has always worked great. I don't see why notebook manufacturers can't use the same wifi chips? We need to communicate better with the manufacturers.

My thought is, with the video driver issue out of the way (now it is integrated into the Linux kernel, even better than in Windows), there are a lot of things we can hope for wrt Linux notebooks.

Also, not to undercut the importance of wifi chips in notebooks, there are now tons of external wifi adapters available to choose from. With wifi technologies advancing so rapidly, this may be the way to go anyway.

Windows/Macs have control over the video driver going into their system, we did not. But now we do!
    Last edited by pingwu; 14th November 2017 at 07:53 PM.

But the true star of the show actually is the (Radeon/Vega + amdgpu driver) combo. Having to use the always-half-baked proprietary video has always been a pain in the 8th. The performance of the new generation Radeon video card, especially its seamless integration with the Linux kernel through the open-source amdgpu driver, is truly astounding!
    You know, I've used Nvidia for so long, .... I forget all about Radeon when I want a new card... Next Video card might have to be a Radeon just to kick it's wheels.

Later tonight, I think I will kick off the F26->F27 upgrade for fun... See what issues I run into there!

{edited} Well that was quick, hardly had time to sit down for supper and the fedora 27 upgrade was complete. Used the command-line upgrade process. Running on the new 1050 ti card too. Almost a let down... Nothing to fix or setup!! .
    Last edited by rclark; 16th November 2017 at 02:44 AM.

Its just before black Friday. I looked at local cpu prices and the AMD Ryzen 1700 went from $354Canadian to $389Canadian. I looked at the Costco advert, and while I would order the same model as you, pingwu, Costco does not ship to Costco Canada. I would have to purchase and have it sent to an American Address, and then arrange for a forwarding. Here again, guarantee issues come into play. Canadians pay about 1/3 more for the same system due to currency differences and Federal/provincial taxes. That $1200US system would set me back $1800Ca.

My existing quad core system with 8 gigs ram set me back $800.00Ca. At that time, it was top of the line...
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

I bought my system in store. Didn't know Costco stores do not stock same items in Canada.

I did not have a chance to open the case (& do not plan to), but based its relatively small size, I would guess it's using a micro board.

The system looks very simple. (Because it's simple, it's very quiet!) I am pretty sure you won't have problem building a similar one yourself. I would have myself if the price ($599 for Ryzen 7 1700 + Radeon RX 550 + 16 GB RAM) weren't so attractive.

I am thinking about doing a triple boot, 26 + 27 + (dormant) Windows 10.

I am hoping the 27 will shortly upgrade to the 4.14 kernel. Anxious to try it (especially wrt to the in-kernel amdgpu driver).

Sometimes persistance pays off. Today on the Canadian Amazon site, the Ryzen 1700 was posted at 259 Canadian. Thats around 195-200 US. (Two units were for sale). I bought one. If order is not refused I will be going after the mother board, ram and graphics card and "gold rated powersupply". I have an older Desktop case made of steel, its of heavy gauge, one can stand on it and it won't collapse. Imagine, the case comes with a lock and a key. Have not noticed that in a while.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

I'm looking in to the i7-7820x vs AMD Ryzen 1800 and still undecided. Anyone thinks tested booth that could have some input? Is it worth the difference in price?

Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein
    Sometimes persistance pays off. Today on the Canadian Amazon site, the Ryzen 1700 was posted at 259 Canadian. Thats around 195-200 US. (Two units were for sale). I bought one. If order is not refused I will be going after the mother board, ram and graphics card and "gold rated powersupply". I have an older Desktop case made of steel, its of heavy gauge, one can stand on it and it won't collapse. Imagine, the case comes with a lock and a key. Have not noticed that in a while.
    I am sooooooooooooo excited for you! Life is short. Get a system that you can be proud of--and at a (low) cost that you can boast of!

Tomorrow morning I am going to sneak out to buy a 32" Dell LED FHD monitor from Costco (will go on sale tomorrow for $150).

With the Ryzen CPU, the new generation Radeon GPU, the in-kernel amdgpu driver in Fedora 26/27, and now the 32" LED monitor, I think I am going to have an awesome everyday desktop system at a very reasonable cost.

indeed, why not check for deals on an Ultrasharp 3K or 4K monitor online before making that monitor purchase though?

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    indeed, why not check for deals on an Ultrasharp 3K or 4K monitor online before making that monitor purchase though?
    I am talking about "32" big inches for $150!

For now, 1080P is good enough for me. But always appreciate suggestions for bargains! Thanks.

1080P is good for a 24" monitor ... But for 32"? your talking a grainy display in my opinion. Personally I'd like to keep the same pixel size of 24" (1920 x 1080) and move up in resolution with same size pixel size and just expand the display size. lets see ~4000 pixels across instead of 1920. That would make it approximately a 48" ... no 45" monitor (remember size is measured by diagonal)! I could live with that! Unfortunately I bought a 28" 4K monitor and ... well, while very nice and 'sharp', text is very very small in lots of cases. In Firefox, I have to zoom in to comfortably read text.
    Last edited by rclark; 18th November 2017 at 12:26 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast