FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Windows Managers will not launch from login

I had been having conflicts between certain packages on fedora-multimedia vs RPMFusion so was trying to tweak things so that it wouldn't mess up an upgrade to Fedora 27. However, somehow now I cannot get into any Window Manager from logging into KDM or SDDM, it just kills Xorg and goes back to the login screen.

I have been checking all the packages and cannot find a problem, I cannot find any errors in the logs to indicate a problem. I even forced a reinstall of every package which didn't make any difference.

I tried KDE, Gnome, Gnome on Xorg and xfce - all fail to start if choosing them as a session. The really weird thing is if I go into the failsafe session and then launch startkde from there, it seems to work perfectly.

Any ideas where I should be looking for the problem? Its worth noting that logging into the console as a user then issuing startx doesn't work either, so maybe an indication of where things are going wrong?

Obviously there is the option to just install Fedora 27 fresh tomorrow, an upgrade may even fix it on its own, but I always prefer to know what went wrong just in case it happens again.

Re: Windows Managers will not launch from login

Quote Originally Posted by alexatkin
    I have been checking all the packages and cannot find a problem, I cannot find any errors in the logs to indicate a problem.
    I guess you've looked in X's log file where, if X doesn't start, the errors are logged in /var/log/Xorg.0.log. I wonder if there's any useful info at all in that log file, especially on the failure of the startx command.

Re: Windows Managers will not launch from login

Yeah there was nothing, it just seemed to suddenly stop part way through initialising the display at this point:
    9.458] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Acer K242HQK (DFP-6): connected
    [ 9.458] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Acer K242HQK (DFP-6): Internal DisplayPort
    [ 9.458] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Acer K242HQK (DFP-6): 1440.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
    [ 9.458] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0):
    The good thing is I have rebooted again, switched session back to Plasma and it seems to be working normally again. Very bizarre.

The only thing different is KDM is the default display manager now (I switched them over) rather than SDDM. I'm not going to test switching them back.