FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Installing Fedora on NVMe M.2 (Samsung 960 EVO)

Hi,

I wish to install Fedora 27 (if the version matters in this case) on an NVMe M.2 SSD, and according to the info here, it is advised to install it with the SSD formatted to xfs (instead of the usual ext4) in terms of performance.
    Besides that, I see that when letting the installation choose the partitions for you, it creates one for swap (8GB) which i do not require because I have enough RAM on the machine and don't use hibernation.
    So - what are the advised settings to use when installing Fedora 27 on Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD?
    Does it matter if I encrypt the entire drive?

Thanks in advance!

**PS Is there any chance to remove swap partition on current system and join the formatted space to /home?
    **Is it possible to switch to xfs without reinstalling? (doesn't seem likely or make any sense...)
    Last edited by Gauss; 13th November 2017 at 09:58 AM.

Re: Installing Fedora on NVMe M.2 (Samsung 960 EVO)

and according to the info here, it is advised to install it with the SSD formatted to xfs (instead of the usual ext4) in terms of performance.
    I would ignore such info as the performance gains for a home machine will not be noticeable. Ext4 is more stable wrt power outages and other error scenarios. Xfs is more for servers. By the way where is "here" ? You never mention where you find that information. You shouldn't believe everything you read. While some stuff may be true it may not be right for you.

Does it matter if I encrypt the entire drive?
    If you encrypt the entire drive your computer will run much slower possibly negating any gains from PCIe NVMe. Is this a laptop that could be stolen ?

**PS Is there any chance to remove swap partition on current system and join the formatted space to /home?
    If you used LVM it is very easy. You would just delete the swap lv and add the freed extents to your /home lv.

If you used regular partitions it would depend on the physical locations of swap and /home.

Edited to include this link in "here":
    https://videos.cdn.redhat.com/summit...r-nvme-ssd.pdf

It's a desktop - CPU is i5 6500, so I don't think it's a bottle neck in the decryption (DDR4 16GB RAM). According to "Disks" becnhmarks, it can hit the 3200MB\s read speed, but it won't let me test write speeds.

I will try deleting swap and add it to /home. Thanks!

The paper you linked is definitely for servers. It describes tests done with a Dell PowerEdge server with multiple NVMe drives and SAS (SCSI) SSD drives on the server backplane. I enjoyed reading it and saved a copy. For a server with a server workload xfs is slightly faster than ext4. However for a desktop with normal desktop operation you likely wouldn't notice a difference and ext4 is safer with more journaling.

It's a desktop - CPU is i5 6500, so I don't think it's a bottle neck in the decryption (DDR4 16GB RAM).
    As this is a desktop do you believe it will be lost or stolen ? If you have top secret data you could just encrypt the /home or a data partition. Encrypting the whole drive will make it boot and run slower.
    Last edited by amiga; 14th November 2017 at 09:14 PM.