FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Flickering in Dark Areas

Hello everybody,

I've been using Arch Linux and its derivatives for a long time now. But since it happened in the past from time to time that an update did not go through cleanly, and I had to fix the system rather cumbersome, I took a look around for alternatives. Since I got so used to Arch Linux and the current package versions and the Rolling Release, the choice here is not very big.
    However, I like Fedora's approach of being close to a rolling release and relying on up-to-date software including a near-current kernel, while being a stable system for productive work.

Now I installed Fedora 26 a few weeks ago. The installation worked without problems. The system ran flawlessly.

What I noticed, however, is that in dark areas of the screen, a slight flicker can be seen. I especially noticed this with the program Darktable, a RAW converter for Linux. But even after opening the terminal application, you can recognize this slight flicker. In bright areas, it probably just does not notice.

I have an Intel board, with Intel i7 processor (Ivy Bridge), a NVIDIA GTX 650 graphics card and have otherwise changed nothing else s.System. So I noticed this right after the basic installation.

Yesterday I tried Fedora 27, but there is the same behavior.

If I run Fedora under VirtualBox, everything is fine. So seems some driver problem? to be.

Under Arch Linux, Antergos or Manjaro I have never noticed this, neither with the Nouveau driver nor with the Nvidia driver. Although I wanted to use only the Nouveau driver at Fedora and have not tried there with the Nvidia driver.

Can someone help me here?

Thanks and regards
    danyo
    Last edited by danyo; 13th November 2017 at 12:56 PM.