FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Firefox NEVER restores his session after reboot, please why?

In the last 12 months, I installed Fedora (and other distros sometimes) like 50ish times!
    Everytime I configure Firefox to "Show your windows and tabs from last time" but every single time I restart the machine and start Firefox I get the error message "Sorry. We’re having trouble getting your pages back. We are having trouble restoring your last browsing session. Select Restore Session to try again.".
    Of course if I need to restart or power off my machine it never crosses my mind (and it never should) to close Firefox first.
    So?
    Thanks for any help, happy to move to Chrome in case :)

Re: Firefox NEVER restores his session after reboot, please why?

The last time is not the time that you powered off or rebooted, while Firefox was running. It is the following:

For the sessions you have open, if you click on the x to quit Firefox with it's open sessions, then on restarting Firefox, those sessions wll be restored.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

should fedora than exit Firefox properly (as any other app) when hitting restart/power off?
    what's wrong?
    Cheers

possibly an immediate termination of the firefox process (like killing it from the system monitor running tasks tab) which means firefox doesn't know to save your open tabs the same way as if you actually closed it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    possibly an immediate termination of the firefox process (like killing it from the system monitor running tasks tab) which means firefox doesn't know to save your open tabs the same way as if you actually closed it properly.
    I'm just restarting/powering off the system by using the Gnome button on the top right corner of the screen.. I start using Fedora since the 23 version, is that possible that the system can manage to exit an application? Cheers

well yes, it can terminate a running process or service. maybe using hibernate would be the better option if you've set your system up to be able to do so

Interesting, I've just checked Firefox on my F26 using KDE and it restores perfectly using KDE's session restore. Once it has restored to the desktop all of its previous tabs are restored. That's using KDE's shutdown buttons and not doing anything with Firefox other than having it set to "restore tabs".

Might give you some idea where the anomaly lies.

Just for comparison, my Vivaldi browser will restore all tabs but KDE doesn't manage to put it back on the desktop, it has to be restarted manually.

KDE is seemingly much better in that respect, I've noticed the same with KDE more by mistake of not bothering to close an application before shutting down

Occasionally I will get a firefox screen that says oops or something like that but it will list all the previous
    tabs as checked. If I dont need them uncheck. Yeah had a lot of gnome crashes in fc26 so fc27 was yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    well yes, it can terminate a running process or service. maybe using hibernate would be the better option if you've set your system up to be able to do so
    Why should I hibernate when I want to shut it off?!

Quote Originally Posted by oystercatcher
    Occasionally I will get a firefox screen that says oops or something like that but it will list all the previous
    tabs as checked. If I dont need them uncheck. Yeah had a lot of gnome crashes in fc26 so fc27 was yesterday.
    No Crashes, I just get the "Oops" screen (the warning has been actually reworded) all the time.. I just wish the session (all of my open tabs/windows) would be automatically restored without being asked all the times. Maybe I'm asking too much

A feature in Firefox v57 is a configuration option to always restore the last sessions you had open, even after a deliberate shutdown.
    I tried it for a few days and didn't like it. I referred to FF opening my two home sites, which are Fedora Magazine and Planet Fedora.
    Leslie in Montreal

Actually it does, for example if i force shoot dowm my c now my firefox will restore the old pages!

Use the firefox configuration Edit»»Preferences Click on GENERAL and then (o) Show your windows and tabs from last time
    Leslie in Montreal

Quote Originally Posted by Cind1985
    Actually it does, for example if i force shoot dowm my c now my firefox will restore the old pages!
    Are you serious?! Would it restore those pages without asking a confirmation first??? I'd love that, but didn't happen in years :(

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast