FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Change Workstation to Server

Need some help, I am trying to change a workstation to a server. I currently have Fedora 26, Workstation edition, installed on a computer. I finally feel confident enough to manage the computer as a headless server and get rid of the non-necessary graphical programs. The computer runs several programs that I have worked with for a while and have running to my satisfaction and operates 24/7/365. I do not want to format and install fresh and mess with the running programs (lots of tinkering to get them to this point).

I have seen lots of info on adding graphical interfaces to a server but I want to go the other way. I tried removing some of the stuff but when I updated it was adding back in. I want to remove the graphical portion and change the repos to server instead of workstation.

Is this possible or do I have to start all over with a fresh install. Will do it if I have to but really not looking forward to it. I had a glitch with the system a few months and when I reinstalled some of the data had to be downloaded again after reinstalling the programs I needed. Took a couple of days to finally get everything straightened out.

Any help or suggestions are welcome.

john

Re: Change Workstation to Server

start with dnf group list
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Sure, it can be done. You can just do a dnf group remove if you'd like or you can go through and just start dnf erasing packages you don't think you need and see what goes away with it. It does give you the benefit of faster updates and faster upgrades between Fedora versions when you have fewer packages and of course your security threat is ever so slightly smaller. We have many virtual servers with a CentOS 7 core that we've trimmed down to 380 to 860 packages depending on server compared to the 1600-2800 you might see on a desktop version. But if you don't want to go to all that bother, just don't have it boot to graphical. Leave it in multi-user instead. Refer to the systemd literature for what file to remove down in /etc/systemd/* and what to link to instead to get simple multiuser.

That way if you find you need to run wireshark for example - you still have all the graphical software there that you can run across the network with ssh, but you don't have the overhead of a full X11 or whatever your current flavor of the month is - wayland or other running along with the server components. And if for some reason you need to go full graphical, you can just reverse the systemd link again and reboot and have full access. Sometimes it is nice to have a full blown graphical bash instead of just a command line bash during an upgrade for example.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I have used group to uninstall a lot of programs and dnf remove to get rid of some. Is there a way to change the repo to check against server rather than workstation? In the fedora.repo it calls for releasever, this is what I want to change if possible.

Thanks again,

john

https://access.redhat.com/documentat..._yum_variables indicates yes, it should be changed to server. Untested by me though.