FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Fedora safety issues ?

In the media lately there has been some articles about some safety issues in the linux-kernel related to the usb-drivers. If a hacker have access to the computer it seems to be possible to exploit these vulnerabilities and hack the computer. This made me think about some similar issues that is related to the usb-live version of the fedora operating system.

There is a way to get access to a fedora computer without knowing the password if you have access to the computer. If you connect a usb (or a live dvd )and start up the live-os and then open up a terminal and then just type the "su"command you will have full access to the computer, both root and user access. I have used this method over the years when i need to repair something and my linux os wont boot.

Is this to be regarded as a safety issue? I have never thought of this as an safety issue before i read the articles about the usb drivers. And do i need to fill in a bug report to the fedora developers?
    Last edited by GNUGNU; 10th November 2017 at 04:30 AM.

Re: Fedora safety issues ?

This attack vector requires physical access.
    If the attacker has physical access to the machine there are all sorts of other mischief they can inflict.

Re: Fedora safety issues ?

It isn't a bug, the same applies to any linux live ISO, can come in very handy at times and ocratato is correct. accessing files is the least of your worries if someone has that level of access to your pc unauthorised. you can block booting from USB in EUFI firmware or BIOS whichever your machine uses and then password protect the BIOS Settings (should already be done if the machine is shared and you don't want people screwing with settings). Of course if they were hell bent on causing problems this too could be reset by them. It's easier on desktops but still achievable with a notebook PC too.