FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

No more sound after update - Fedora 26

Dear all,

Thank you for reading this post. I'm new to Fedora, have found some similar issues on google but couldn't reproduce the solution.

I did an automatic update yesterday, and after that the sound totally stoped working after rebooting. When I go to parameters -> sound , I have no more input/output device detected at all .

I tried updating (and alsa removing, rebooting for test, reintalling) audiopulse, but this had no effect.

Thank you all for your help

By the way, sorry for my english (frenglish...) and thanks for your support

EDIT : Actually I've just noticed that I have sound at the password screen, but then when the desktop is launched the speaker icon (right top of the screen) disappears and by now I don't have sound anymore
    Last edited by Nicolas0Dupuy; 7th November 2017 at 03:58 PM.

Re: No more sound after update - Fedora 26

Make sure you have pulseaudio installed ("sudo dnf info pulseaudio"). Install if necessary. Then install pavucontrol (pulseaudio volume control) if it is not installed. Open and use upper-right arrow to navigate to "configurations". Make sure it is choosing the appropriate sound card (built-in, etc). Then navigate to "Output Devices" and make sure it is choosing the appropriate device (speakers, headphones, etc). Make sure nothing is muted. Then navigate to "Playback" and make sure nothing is muted and that on the bottom the drop-down menu shows "All Streams". Pavucontrol will indicate if there is sound on your system (In Output Devices there will be a blue, pulsating line if there is audio).

You may have to play around with Pavucontrol for a while but generally you will be successful in eventually getting audio back.

Re: No more sound after update - Fedora 26

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas0Dupuy
    Dear all,

Thank you for reading this post. I'm new to Fedora, have found some similar issues on google but couldn't reproduce the solution.

I did an automatic update yesterday, and after that the sound totally stoped working after rebooting. When I go to parameters -> sound , I have no more input/output device detected at all .

I tried updating (and alsa removing, rebooting for test, reintalling) audiopulse, but this had no effect.

Thank you all for your help

By the way, sorry for my english (frenglish...) and thanks for your support

EDIT : Actually I've just noticed that I have sound at the password screen, but then when the desktop is launched the speaker icon (right top of the screen) disappears and by now I don't have sound anymore
    on what hardware is fedora installed?