FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Time & Date controls in Anaconda still grayed out after disabling Network Time

I have recently tried to install Fedora on an Acer Aspire laptops (one of them being ES1-131, the other one ES1-132). I download a standard Workstation image, prepare a USB stick (with Fedora Media Writer or Rufus, doesn't matter), and start installing to my hard drive.
    In Anaconda's Time & Date screen, Network Time is ON by default. As a side note, this default setting does not seem logical to me, at least in ES1-131, which does not even have a network interface at that moment, since Ethernet is not connected, and its BCM4365 Wi-Fi chip is not recognized with free drivers. Anyway, I switch it to OFF and try to continue. However, I can only select a timezone on the map. The time and date controls below the map remain grayed out.
    If I click Done and then, on the next screen (Installation Summary), Quit, and then launch Terminal and type sudo anaconda, Anaconda starts, and this time, its Time & Date screen has the controls in the bottom part working normally when Network Time is OFF, and grayed out when it is ON, i.e. what seems to be the right behaviour by design.
    Does that mean that there are some wrong Anaconda setttings stored somewhere and applied when Anaconda is launched via Install to Hard Drive icon, but not applied when it is launched directly from terminal?

The problem is actually present in both 26 and 27 Beta (Workstation image in both cases). Any ideas much appreciated. I did have some Linux and FreeBSD experience many years ago, but now I am a novice after a long break, so I thought I would first ask here before submitting it as a bug to Bugzilla. Who knows, maybe I am just missing something...

Re: Time & Date controls in Anaconda still grayed out after disabling Network Time

You need an internet connection. The installation generally visits the mirror site to pull down the most recent versions of the intended software. . At the same time, it needs to verify the time. After an installation, some software not in the pull down list is not "up to date" at the time you do the installation. That is why, after a reboot, it is usual to run an update command.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Re: Time & Date controls in Anaconda still grayed out after disabling Network Time

Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein
    You need an internet connection. The installation generally visits the mirror site to pull down the most recent versions of the intended software. . At the same time, it needs to verify the time. After an installation, some software not in the pull down list is not "up to date" at the time you do the installation. That is why, after a reboot, it is usual to run an update command.
    Leslie, thank you for your reply, but these considerations are not relevant in this case.
    True, it can connect to NTP servers to verify the time, if the Network Time is ON and NTP server pools are properly set in its settings. In my case, however, I already mentioned that I explicitly set Network Time to OFF.
    Also, the very fact that I can launch the very same version of Anaconda from the terminal and successfully continue the installation with time and date controls working shows that there is something wrong not with Anaconda itself but with the method it is invoked in the standard, GUI-based, installation process (i.e., when a user uses the Install to Hard Drive button).
    Last edited by Maksym Kozub; 7th November 2017 at 11:20 AM. Reason: A typo corrected.

yes, you've found a configuration bug for the 'Install Now' launched session. That shouldn't happen normally and it certainly doesn't with any of the spin ISOs I've ever used. I don't particularly like GNOME so tend to use a spin instead. anaconda from the desktop does indeed utilise a configuration file to tell it which version to install.

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    yes, you've found a configuration bug for the 'Install Now' launched session. That shouldn't happen normally
    Thank you so much, I feel better now, knowing it is not about me being stupid and failing to see some setting etc. obvious to others .

I have submitted this bug to Bugzilla: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1510425.

I forgot to ask, in setting the timezone, do you click on the map to locate and retrieve the timezone, or just via the "grayed out" lines?
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840