FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Couldn't install Fedora 26 from usb

Hi guys!!

I've been using Fedora for more than 8 years now, and I've always been super mega fun of it. However, I tried to install Fedora 26 from the live version (usb) and it didn't work. I don't understand it. It's pretty weird because the usb version always flies, but when I try to install it, it becomes very very slow. It takes ages to go from one step to the next, and then when I try to claim more space, it just doesn't work, it doesn't let me proceed. So I got stock. I was using Fedora 25 and wanted to upgrade, but from scratch, because my laptop was running very slow.
    Anyone with this problem? Thanks!

Re: Couldn't install Fedora 26 from usb

It is possible that the iso is corrupt. Run a checksum on the iso (sudo sha256sum /path/to/iso), then compare the results with the checksum that fedora shows on the download page of that particular iso.

There is also a bug with anaconda (installer) which occurs if you are using a customized iso. Did you create the iso using livemedia-creator? If not then don't worry about the bug. An uncorrupted iso should allow you to install fedora on your system.

You might also want to test your RAM memory (reboot and choose "Memtest86+" on the grub menu -- it is usually the last entry in the menu).

I don't think it's a problem with the iso. I have checked the checksum and it was ok. I wasn't a cusmozided iso. And I don't think it was a Ram problem, since I was able to install Lubuntu from usb live version. Not idea. I guess I'll wait until the next Fedora Version. Thanks anyway!

cheluna wrote:
    I've been using Fedora for more than 8 years now, and I've always been super mega fun of it. However, I tried to install Fedora 26 from the live version (usb) and it didn't work.
    I would try and install a spin like lxde, especially if the hardware is a bit older. Once installed, you can download any other desktop environment of course, but I've found lxde will install when the gnome standard version won't on older hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by nsnbm
    cheluna wrote:

I would try and install a spin like lxde, especially if the hardware is a bit older. Once installed, you can download any other desktop environment of course, but I've found lxde will install when the gnome standard version won't on older hardware.
    Indeed, I was using lxde with gnome. And it worked very well. Only that after a while, with the constant updates and software installed and uninstalled, it became more slow. When it happens, I usually format it and install a new version, from scratch and it solves it. But I couldn't now. I tried with other spins, and it didn't work either. So now, I'm using Lubuntu for a while.

Just a quick update. It seem it is something related to this 26 version (at least with my computer). Because I downloaded the 27 beta version, tried it and it did allow me to reclaim space (which I couldn't do with the previous iso). I didn't proceed since it was only the beta version, but at least, it'd let me proceed. I'll just wait for the 27 definitive version.

Quote Originally Posted by cheluna
    . . . and it did allow me to reclaim space (which I couldn't do with the previous iso)
    What do you mean "reclaim space"? I assume the Fedora 27 iso worked faster than the Fedora 26. What system is on your drive currently?

In any case, Fedora 27 stable is coming out in a few days. You might want to decide to install the latest version after all.

Quote Originally Posted by cheluna
    I'll just wait for the 27 definitive version.
    don't bother, use the existing media to install and it will update to release build anyhow. you don't need to waste time and effort downloading another ISO next week.

Quote Originally Posted by donatom
    What do you mean "reclaim space"? I assume the Fedora 27 iso worked faster than the Fedora 26. What system is on your drive currently?

In any case, Fedora 27 stable is coming out in a few days. You might want to decide to install the latest version after all.
    When you're installing Fedora, you need to format your hd (if you don't have more space, like me), and in order to format that hard drive, the installations ask you to reclaim space:

I'll install the latest version, for sure. I'm using Lubuntu right now. Liking it, but not loving it.

---------- Post added at 11:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    don't bother, use the existing media to install and it will update to release build anyhow. you don't need to waste time and effort downloading another ISO next week.
    hmmm I think I'll just wait Thanks!

The anaconda version that came with F26 ISO has some inefficient code. It appears to do multiple scans of the disk(s), to get a picture of swaps, free space, and the like.

On my system anaconda F26 version took around 7+ minutes to scan 5 drives.

Fedora 27 has a revised code for disk scanning. The seven minutes is not close to 2+ minutes.

Also, the Live ISO is doing a limited "network install" behind the scenes. You don't get to choose software until you reboot the new system.

Download the network installation version and fly with that one. The link

https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fed...on/x86_64/iso/

By next week the 26 in the link should be 27
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Great, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein
    The anaconda version that came with F26 ISO has some inefficient code. It appears to do multiple scans of the disk(s), to get a picture of swaps, free space, and the like.

On my system anaconda F26 version took around 7+ minutes to scan 5 drives.

Fedora 27 has a revised code for disk scanning. The seven minutes is not close to 2+ minutes.

Also, the Live ISO is doing a limited "network install" behind the scenes. You don't get to choose software until you reboot the new system.

Download the network installation version and fly with that one. The link

By next week the 26 in the link should be 27
    Hi,

I believe I am facing the similar issue. I downloaded network installation version, and installed it on my Compaq Presario F763NR. The installation went successful. However, during the first reboot, I would see the Gnome Login screen, but after I logged in, I would never see anything else at all.

I really what to learn what is the cause of this. How do I know this would be fixed in Fedora 27? Do you think it is related to Anaconda still? It should be something else now, because I could see Gnome login right?

Thank you.

What if I would like to try Fedora 25? Do you happen to know, where Fedora 25 download location is?

Thank you so much.

---------- Post added at 02:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 PM ----------

I found it. I had to change the link that you gave, and changed the number to "25".

Quote Originally Posted by Sethanath
    Hi,

I believe I am facing the similar issue. I downloaded network installation version, and installed it on my Compaq Presario F763NR. The installation went successful. However, during the first reboot, I would see the Gnome Login screen, but after I logged in, I would never see anything else at all.

I really what to learn what is the cause of this. How do I know this would be fixed in Fedora 27? Do you think it is related to Anaconda still? It should be something else now, because I could see Gnome login right?

Thank you.
    Hi Everyone,

I was able to install Fedora 25 by using its "Live Media". It did not give me any problem that Fedora 26 would give me on very same notebook. I will wait for Fedora 27 like your suggestion as well.

Thank you.