FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fedora 25 Install has no mention of dual boot

I have been unable to find any mention of dual boot in the Fedora 25 Installation Guide at https://docs-old.fedoraproject.org/e...ide/index.html . It has been my experience that in versions after the change to GRUB2, you don't get a dual boot splash screen as you did when what is now called GRUB legacy was being used. And the file you now get grub2.cfg has the message, "DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE". It was much better when Grub legacy was being used.

If I have overlooked a thorough and complete explanation of dual boot in the Fedora 25 Installation Guide, then it should be more heavily emphasized and made more conspicuous in the table of contents. There does not appear to be sufficient improvements to justify upgrading for a person who plans to use dual boot unless assurance can be provided that the installation will provide dual boot capability.

Re: Fedora 25 Install has no mention of dual boot

In my experience, Anaconda will show you all systems that you can boot into and ask which one should be the default. I know that there's a program, os-prober, that you can use to find your other system, but I've never had to use it.
    Registered Linux user #470359 and permanently recovered BOFH.

Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Here is the Fedora wiki on grub2 which mentions other OSes:
    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/GRUB_...n_BIOS_systems

Try running "sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg" for bios boot or "sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg" on an EFI boot machine. Hopefully updating grub will solve your problem.

I have a dual boot Fedora/Archlinux and some times after a new kernel install (although Arch is on the grub menu) Arch won't boot properly because Fedora somehow gets the wrong UUID for Arch (or places two different UUIDs in grub.cfg) so I have to modify the grub.cfg file (which of course could be over-written the next time I or dnf update grub).

Thank you for your response. I tried using the sudo command. The response to the command is shown below. I rebooted the computer. It booted into Windows 10. What do I need to do to get a choice of Windows 10 or Fedora Core with a default boot into Windows 10 after a 5 second delay preferably with a splash screen?

[rhb100@localhost ~]$ sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
    Generating grub.cfg ...
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.14.27-100.fc19.x86_64
    Found initrd image: /boot/initramfs-3.14.27-100.fc19.x86_64.img
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.9.5-301.fc19.x86_64
    Found initrd image: /boot/initramfs-3.9.5-301.fc19.x86_64.img
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-0-rescue-f818137001c746098e07efef1d160c05
    Found initrd image: /boot/initramfs-0-rescue-f818137001c746098e07efef1d160c05.img
    ERROR: unsupported sector size 4096 on /dev/sdh.
    Found Windows Recovery Environment (loader) on /dev/mapper/pdc_cjggccgegj1
    Found Windows Recovery Environment (loader) on /dev/mapper/pdc_cjggccgegj2
    done
    [rhb100@localhost ~]$

Quote Originally Posted by rhb100
    What kind of a drive are you installing to? According to the quote above, the drive is the eighth drive on your system. I assume it is an external drive. The fact that you have so many drives and the fact that it probably is an external drive could very well complicate an install.

Is the drive (if it is a usb drive) connected to a usb port that is directly on your motherboard or is it attached to a port that is attached to a pci card, etc (like a port on the front of your box)? Unless your drive is attached to a port from the motherboard your install quite likely will fail.

You should remove the other external drives and attach your install drive to the back of your box (original usb port -- not an add-on usb port).

As far as a grub splash is concerned (at least on bios boot systems), Fedora installs always show all bootable OSes on your system. If it doesn't then there is something wrong with the install (and the type of drive and where it is connected to could certainly cause problems)

What version of Windows do you have installed? I believe it would have to be Windows 7 (or XP) since Windows 8 and 10 require UEFI boot which you are not using.
    Last edited by donatom; 1st November 2017 at 04:40 PM. Reason: adding information

Thank you for your response. Just before signing in to this Fedora Forum, I disconnected both of my two USB drives and tried the sudo command again. I have Windows 10 on my first internal hard drive and Fedora Core on the second internal hard drive. The results of using the sudo grub2-mkconfig again are shown below. It finds Fedora Core but does not appear to find the Windows 10 installation.

Generating grub.cfg ...
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.9.5-301.fc19.x86_64
    Found initrd image: /boot/initramfs-3.9.5-301.fc19.x86_64.img
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-0-rescue-f818137001c746098e07efef1d160c05
    Found initrd image: /boot/initramfs-0-rescue-f818137001c746098e07efef1d160c05.img
    done
    [rhb100@localhost ~]$

It could be that since you are using bios boot instead of uefi boot, grub is unable to find windows. I would imagine that if you installed fedora with grub-efi and placed grub in the windows efi partition, it would find windows as well, but I am only experienced with adding fedora using efi on the windows efi partition on the same drive on which windows is installed. By the way, in order to boot a non efi OS (Fedora for example) on your system you will have to enable legacy boot on your motherboard -- so try that first. You should then hit an F key (F2 or F9 for example). On my HP triple booting (windows, arch and fedora) I have to press the escape at the beginning of the boot, otherwise windows will boot up. Then it boots to a grub menu with OSes listed (windows may not be included but I'm sure there is a way to get a grub menu with windows and Linux; I'm just too lazy to do that).

A work-around might be to install fedora on a portable usb drive with bios boot and only attach it when you want to use fedora. On that drive, by the way, you could install various Linux OSes and you would be able to boot each and every one (but only install grub on fedora; leave out grub on the other installs otherwise each distro will take over booting which can become problematical).
    Last edited by donatom; 1st November 2017 at 10:23 PM. Reason: correction

If you choose to install Fedora in uefi mode, here are two good websites:

https://www.linuxbabe.com/command-li...otmgr-examples

https://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=314781

I have found that on my grub menu the first listed OS is "OS Boot Manager". If I click on that Windows 10 starts up. To get to this grub menu as I said, I have to press on the escape key just as it starts to boot and then I press on the F9 key. This menu includes OS Boot Manager (windows), Archlinux and Fedora.

Now your system will probably be different so google how to get to grub menu for your system. Instead of the escape key (according to the second web page listed above) you should be able to disable "fast boot" in your BIOS. Then you would press the appropriate F key to see the booting options.

And the file you now get grub2.cfg has the message, "DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE".
    It is not necessary to edit this file to add content. There are two ways to add your own content and menu entries to grub.cfg (/etc/grub.d/40_custom and custom.cfg). Also you can control the generated content through variables in /etc/default/grub.

If I have overlooked a thorough and complete explanation of dual boot in the Fedora 25 Installation Guide, then it should be more heavily emphasized and made more conspicuous in the table of contents. There does not appear to be sufficient improvements to justify upgrading for a person who plans to use dual boot unless assurance can be provided that the installation will provide dual boot capability.
    It is not the purpose of an installation guide for a particular OS to provide a tutorial for all OS related knowledge as the manual would be huge. This information is available in other places such as the grub2 manual.

I know that there's a program, os-prober, that you can use to find your other system, but I've never had to use it.
    Technically you've been using this every time you run grub2-mkconfig as os-prober is run by grub by default unless explicitly disabled.

Code:
    It appears you are using FakeRAID firmware RAID for your Windows installation. The pdc would suggest that it is a Promise controller on your MB. This is probably why grub2 can't autogenerate a Windows entry.

I have Windows 10 on my first internal hard drive and Fedora Core on the second internal hard drive.
    First of all its not Fedora Core anymore just Fedora. Fedora 7, codenamed Moonshine, was released on May 31, 2007. It's been over a decade with just Fedora.

If you only have one drive with Windows then why are you using fakeRAID ? At this point you should post the output of fdisk -l.

What version of Windows do you have installed? I believe it would have to be Windows 7 (or XP) since Windows 8 and 10 require UEFI boot which you are not using.
    The OP already stated that they are using Windows 10. UEFI is only required for new installations of Windows 8 & 10. If you upgrade online from a Windows 7 BIOS/MBR system you can use legacy BIOS. You are saying that the OP can't possibly have Windows 10 which they are using as you don't understand how they installed it.

It could be that since you are using bios boot instead of uefi boot, grub is unable to find windows. I would imagine that if you installed fedora with grub-efi and placed grub in the windows efi partition, it would find windows as well,
    This makes no sense as if they manage to boot Windows 10 in BIOS mode in post #4 then both Windows and Fedora are installed in legacy BIOS mode. They don't have a windows efi partition as Windows is installed in BIOS mode. It all comes down to the fact that you don't understand that Windows 10 could be used with legacy BIOS.

By the way, in order to boot a non efi OS (Fedora for example) on your system you will have to enable legacy boot on your motherboard -- so try that first.
    They have already done this as they are able to boot into Fedora. Their MB has been in legacy mode the whole time. If their MB was in EFI mode then Anaconda would have installed Fedora in EFI mode.

Code:
    Generating grub.cfg ...
    done
    [rhb100@localhost ~]$
    os-prober found the Windows loader on a Promise fakeRAID array.

Here is the response to fdisk -l /dev/sda & fdisk -l /dev/sdb commands as requested by Amiga.

[root@localhost rhb100]# fdisk -l /dev/sda

Disk /dev/sda: 640.1 GB, 640135028736 bytes, 1250263728 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk label type: dos
    Disk identifier: 0x401de083

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 2048 39847935 19922944 27 Hidden NTFS WinRE
    /dev/sda2 * 39847936 40052735 102400 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda3 40052736 1249206271 604576768 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda4 1249206272 1250127871 460800 27 Hidden NTFS WinRE
    [root@localhost rhb100]# fdisk -l /dev/sdb

Disk /dev/sdb: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes, 1953525168 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk label type: dos
    Disk identifier: 0x000b6d91

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sdb1 * 2048 1026047 512000 83 Linux
    /dev/sdb2 1026048 8660991 3817472 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/sdb3 8660992 113518591 52428800 83 Linux
    /dev/sdb4 113518592 1953525167 920003288 5 Extended
    /dev/sdb5 113520640 1953523711 920001536 83 Linux
    [root@localhost rhb100]

The partitions look fairly normal except for the two hidden NTFS. However it is unexplained how grub found two Promise FastTrack RAID arrays.

Please post the output of the following commands.

Code:
    sudo dmraid -r
    ls -l /dev/mapper/*
    lspci | grep -i sata
    Also for future posts please post all command output inside code blocks. Select the text to be put into a block and select the # symbol in advanced mode.
    Last edited by amiga; 2nd November 2017 at 08:02 PM.

Here is the response to the requested commands:

Code:
    #
    # sudo dmraid -r
    /dev/sda: pdc, "pdc_cjggccgegj", stripe, ok, 1250132608 sectors, data@ 0
    [rhb100@localhost ~]$ ls -l /dev/mapper/*
    crw-------. 1 root root  10, 236 Nov  2 11:31 /dev/mapper/control
    brw-rw----. 1 root disk 253,   0 Nov  2 11:31 /dev/mapper/pdc_cjggccgegj
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root        7 Nov  2 11:31 /dev/mapper/pdc_cjggccgegj1 -> ../dm-1
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root        7 Nov  2 11:31 /dev/mapper/pdc_cjggccgegj2 -> ../dm-2
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root        7 Nov  2 11:31 /dev/mapper/pdc_cjggccgegj3 -> ../dm-3
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root        7 Nov  2 11:31 /dev/mapper/pdc_cjggccgegj4 -> ../dm-4
    [rhb100@localhost ~]$ lspci | grep -i sata
    00:11.0 RAID bus controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 SATA Controller [Non-RAID5 mode] (rev 40)
    [rhb100@localhost ~]$

This explains everything. Your Windows was installed with the controller in RAID mode instead of AHCI even though there is only one drive. Grub2's os-prober is detecting the installations inside these RAID partitions but can't generate entries to access them in this manner.

There are several options. The first is that you simply change the controller mode back to AHCI as with one drive you don't need RAID. This could affect Windows booting so you may have to use Windows safe mode. Once RAID is turned off grub will see the Windows installation on regular partitions and should generate a menu entry to chain-load Windows. If not you can easily create a custom menu entry to chain-load Windows.

Another option is simply to create a custom menu entry to try to chain-load Windows inside the regular sda2 partition without changing the controller mode. Since Windows is on its own drive sda with its own bootloader you could simply use drivemap to switch the root drive.

Code:
    menuentry "Windows 10" {
        insmod part_msdos
        set root='(hd1)'
        drivemap -s hd0 hd1
        chainloader (hd1,2)+1
    }

A third option since you can boot Windows is to use EasyBCD to chainload grub2 on sdb from the Windows bootloader.
    Last edited by amiga; 4th November 2017 at 08:36 PM. Reason: corrected error

Thank you Amiga for your diagnosis and suggestions. I tried using the Integrated Peripherals section of my BIOS to try to change from RAID to AHCI but I had a problem logging into Windows 10. This change from RAID to AHCI may require a change to the Windows registry which I did not do thereby resulting in the problem.

I then downloaded and installed EasyBCD2.3. it worked well for booting into Windows 10 but I couldn't get it to boot into Fedora.

Where should this menuentry code be put? Into Grub2?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast