FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Horribly disappointed in FireFox 57.1

Just got FF 57 today in Manjaro KDE and I am very happy with it. all plugins I use are supported and the performance is indeed much better as advertised in their video and blurb. I don't know what you are trying to use that isn't supported but have you checked for beta builds of such plugins?

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    Just got FF 57 today in Manjaro KDE and I am very happy with it. all plugins I use are supported and the performance is indeed much better as advertised in their video and blurb. I don't know what you are trying to use that isn't supported but have you checked for beta builds of such plugins?
    I mentioned some of the extensions, They are still not supported and I doubt they ever will. After ~15 years I gave up with yafgc, and continue my web experience with cyberfox (which 'can' do all the mentioned plugins) and/or chromium, the original copy source.

With the new release, and with the conversation of my favorite plugins, hip-hip-horray for the official version 57. And their 57 has nothing to do with a food company.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

I always loved Firefox interface (GUI) more than Chrome one (I have to use both), which doesn't integrate much in Gnome, and I truly prefer open source products when I can.
    Since I spend a lot of time reading on the web I think that the GUI factor makes a big difference to me.
    But I have this problem with Firefox:https://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?316059
    I don't remember Firefox crashing on me
    I also don't understand why some developers "waste" their time with Epiphany/Web.. shouldn't they invest their time in other aspects of Gnome needing more attention?
    Cheers

Tabs at the top? Stupid is idea and breaks my work flow moving the mouse so far! Whoever thought it was a good idea needs a good whipping! (That's why I don't use Chrome!) The move tabs extension no longer works and there is no replacement. Luckily, this works (read the comments to keep the bookmarks menu bar where it is!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xo-OeVjnjs
    I used to miss my wife but then my aim improved.

epiphany is GNOME but firefox isn't developed by GNOME or Fedora Project. all operating systems are getting the Quantum upgrade sooner or later. the same goes for Chrome, Chromium, Opera. They aren't operating system desktop environment specific projects. Conversely, Qupzilla has just been made part of KDE project to replace Konqueror as default web browser going forward with a new codename.

i wonder how many people actually use epiphany still?

regarding Fedora and application changes like these, they are inevitable. if you want something more static you need to switch to Firefox ESR or for more widespread package version retention a LTS distribution like CentOS

TAB switching - CTRL+TAB key combination saves moving the cursor to the top of the screen

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    I don't know what you are trying to use that isn't supported but have you checked for beta builds of such plugins?
    To understand what's missing read this:
    https://noscript.net/abe/
    Then show me something on FF 57 that does the same.
    Last edited by nutznboltz; 20th November 2017 at 11:19 AM.

or you could wait as it's release is imminent
    https://www.myce.com/news/noscript-e...er-week-82998/

personally I use ublock origin

FeNuguy here. Moved from Ubuntu which was circling the drain. F27 & ff57.1. Now on Facebook, can't play giphys or anything copyfish won't clear. Annoyed oyster, I yam.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne
    Tabs at the top? Stupid is idea and breaks my work flow moving the mouse so far!
    Yeah, but luckily there is a way to change it back to below the navigation toolbar, by using the Classic CSS modifications. I used that to get my tabs back to where they should be: https://i.imgur.com/2BWPOIt.png

Now that I've restored that bit of sanity to Firefox, I'm liking FF 57 so far.
    OS: Fedora 28 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 7GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N

Been using FF 57 for a while now. It is incredibly fast! Because my wife was having so many issues with slowness in FF 56, I upgraded her to 57 when it was still in beta. She was much happier afterwards. As for for extensions, I long ago gave up on extensions. The main reason for me is that I got tired of depending on extensions just to find that a FF upgrade breaks them. You really are at the mercy of the extension authors to update their extensions in a timely manner. I realize most do the work in their spare time. So it is very understandable. I just find life easier when only depending on core functionality.

Firefox wasteful of screen space. That's my experience. I have tools and menu options clicked. Here is what I have
    top line -- title
    Line2 -- tab line
    line 3 -- the URL with home, download and a few other items.
    line 4 the tool bar line.

Can't there be merge with a toggle between tabs and URL line, so that we have one additional line for display purposes, or a three way merge of line1, line2 and line 3 (via toggle)?

When Reading an email or browsing the forum, it is annoying to have to scroll because of the two wasted lines of FF display.
    Leslie in Montreal

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20171124_230456.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	29226
    yep so much wasted space
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20171123_234954.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	29227  

I have one more rant against the new FF.
    I have ordered something in B&H Photo, big mistake I guess, cuz now I get a Popup on my screen, as a notification, EVEN IF FIREFOX IS NOT RUNNING !!!!!!!!!!?????????? WTH!!!!!!!!
    The notification log only shows Firefox as being the one writing the notification.
    However, I haven't subscribed to any RSS feed, and I have not bookmarked B&H at all.

Searching for "Live" bookmarks in the new FF yields zilch.

I guess a reinstall, and a clearing of my .cache and .config will most prolly take care of the matter. Sadly.
    "monsters John ... monsters from the ID..."
    "ma vule teva maar gul nol naya"

Hi Bob
    If you are using Gnome, from the system tray, click on notifications and disable the ones from firefox.
    Leslie in Montreal

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast