FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Horribly disappointed in FireFox 57.1

Quote Originally Posted by dodona
    t...irresponsible arrogant.. This weekend I'll check out which plugins have became available in the meantime. Last check was 2 weeks ago. We'll see.
    64 more or less the same as 2 weeks ago. More or less our yet another fake google chrome (yafgc) works, however speeddial is no replacement for fastdial, and no noscript, no status bar, no tray, no restart button, and last but not least no last tab close button. The latter can be easily managed by about:config browser.tabs.closeWindowWithLastTab=false , however gone lost after todays upgrade to yafgc 57.0b10.

Firefox should have provided a webextension wrapper. That is a way to allow the extension to interpret the xul interface method and do the translation.

My book mark extension software is incompatible with Firefox 57. I don't know if they will do the migration. That leaves me in the cold.

The firefox ability to store the bookmarks and restore them does not respect the order (sequencing ) of the bookmarks that I have laid out. xmarks did. I could restore and the image of my toolbar, bookmarks, etc were done precisely.
    I use Firefox, but now have decided to try other browsers. Chromium is the one I am testing. If I like it, I will kiss FF goodbye.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein
    My book mark extension software is incompatible with Firefox 57. I don't know if they will do the migration. That leaves me in the cold.
    I have linked the website which has list of extensions in the process of being ported.

There is something that Firefox forgot. There are developers, and you put the onus on them to do an upgrade to their software, and there are the end-users. We end-users are the victims of Firefox's decision.

Did Firefox send a notice to each developer? I wonder about that. Did they get a response as to when their extension would be upgraded, and did Firefox adjust it's implementation schedule in accordance.

What do I think? The words "maybe-not" comes to mind. I have reinstalled Fedora 25 and blocked mozilla updates. That was my choice. I will likely remain with Fedora 25 until an extension about bookmarks meets my needs.
    Leslie in Montreal

I have reinstalled Fedora 25 and blocked mozilla updates. That was my choice. I will likely remain with Fedora 25 until an extension about bookmarks meets my needs.
    You don't have to reinstall older Fedora release for that, you can find older builds of FF on koji. Fedora 25 will go EOL one month after Fedora 27 gets released. I guess you could also consider using official Firefox ESR release, but I don't think configuration is backwards compatible with newer Firefox.

I have switched to Chromium after installing http://mirror.yandex.ru/fedora/russianfedora/releases/test/RFRemix/27_Beta/Workstation/x86_64/iso/RFRemix-Workstation-netinst-x86_64-27_Beta.iso

I like the extras that I get with RFRemix. This iso saves me from hours of work gathering up software from the far corners of Fedora Land.

With it I run a unattended script to install all my goodies. I normally run that script before I go for supper.

I attached that script to this reply (you can use it with any Fedora version).
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Leslie in Montreal

I love the speed of Firefox 57, though I don't rely on any externsions. I gave up on that log ago. Extension often did not keep up with Firefox changes in my experience. I got tired of Firefox upgrades killing extensions. Also, extensions rely too often on someone maintaining them in their spare time. If the author got bored....bye bye extension. My philosophy is rely only on the base software.

My 4360 posts were done with Firefox. Since 4360, I have switched to Chromium. My extensions
    English Canada, French , American dictionaries.
    Privacy Badger
    LastPass
    Xmarks.

The same extensions for the past many years. Firefox disallowed xmarks, which is essential to me.
    LastPass beta works with FFf 57
    xmarks no.
    Leslie in Montreal

My 4360 posts were done with Firefox. Since 4360, I have switched to Chromium. My extensions
    English Canada, French , American dictionaries.
    Privacy Badger
    LastPass
    Xmarks.

The same extensions for the past many years. Firefox disallowed xmarks, which is essential to me.
    LastPass beta works with FFf 57
    xmarks no.
    Leslie, everybody is entitled to his own opinion. But you are aware that you are complaining about a Firefox version that is still in beta, don't you? FF57 will be released not earlier than Nov. 14. Several developers of important add-ons (among them Noscript and Lastpass) have said that their add-ons will be ready by then. The list of compatible add-ons is becoming larger and larger.

You've already discovered that a beta of the Lastpass webextension works for you. And this is obviously also the case for xmarks. Mozilla didn't "disallow" it - it was simply not available as a webextension. But a beta is available in the development channel on its AMO site. Have you tried that?

You might want to read, e.g., this post which gives an overview of what is new in Firefox (and why). Switching to Chromium doesn't make much sense for me. They are using the same architecture and add-ons system but Firefox is much more configurable (via about:config) and is getting the patches from the Tor browser. Its performance is now on par or even better than Chromium's.

LastPass has delivered a beta, it works just fine.
    ditto for privacy badger, and some other stuff.
    Missing are dictionaries, and xmarks.

And by the way, same blockage is with Firefox 56. There is no work around given for FF 56 to allow xmarks to operate. It is allowed to remain loaded as an extension, but not allowed to transfer data. Ditto for lastpass.
    Leslie in Montreal

the number of plugins compatible with rust propagating yafgc increased dramatically to 272 within a couple of days. Nevertheless no noscript, not a single restart button, and no fastdial, which will never be ported at all.

NoScripts page says that it will be ported https://noscript.net/getit

NoScript is currently a Hybrid WebExtension, and therefore won't install on Firefox 57 pre-releases without this trick. Before Firefox 57 is released in the stable channel, a pure WebExtension NoScript will be available an you'll be automatically migrated to it.
    Also you can try this too https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/umatrix/

As for speed dial have you tried this? https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...roupspeeddial/

yafgc now counts 5.000 extensions compatible with 57. Nevertheless noscript and fastdial still are not available. On another page they claim that yafgc is 30% faster then chrome while using less memory. In fact the resident set size per process indeed is low, but the virtual address space easily allocates 2 gb memory or more on a amd64 cpu. Guess its a rust trick to run with a very low resident set size.

you could use the ESR version of Firefox instead

I'm running noscript now inside Pale Moon but it is only 5.0.6 while the current version is 5.1.5

https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/noscript/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast