FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Re: Horribly disappointed in FireFox 57.1

Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein
    Hi Bob
    If you are using Gnome, from the system tray, click on notifications and disable the ones from firefox.
    Hi Frank (from frankenstein lol)
    well, I don't use gnome, but Xfce has that ability, and I can stop it from appearing.
    However, my concern is more of privacy, i.e. where do I find the doo-hickey that is actually contacting these guys' servers, and "expunge" it. If I don't want someone's server to "see me", then I don't go there, and this is also a time-related issue, not just action-related.
    Take into consideration that burglars also buy timing data from h4x0rz, so they know when you are not at home.
    "monsters John ... monsters from the ID..."
    "ma vule teva maar gul nol naya"

Hi Bobx001

My home is well protected. My home has a built-in watchdog pet with sharp teeth. It is a 80 lb pit-bull with a nasty disposition to strangers, And if the pit is out for a walk with me, then there is my wife. She trained the pit bull and just FYI, she was a soma wrestler and knows how to throw a kitchen knife.

I did not fully understand your message about dohicky. In Québec, we call that dohicky a "FEE-FAH-LANG". Is it a Firefox or other XFCE software?
    I don't run a server, so my dohicky is provided by yahoo.com. Yahoo.com allows blockage of urls, and filtering of messages.
    Firefox has the noscript thingy extension.

Leslie (alias Frankie)
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein
    Hi Bobx001

My home is well protected. My home has a built-in watchdog pet with sharp teeth. It is a 80 lb pit-bull with a nasty disposition to strangers, And if the pit is out for a walk with me, then there is my wife. She trained the pit bull and just FYI, she was a soma wrestler and knows how to throw a kitchen knife.

I did not fully understand your message about dohicky. In Québec, we call that dohicky a "FEE-FAH-LANG". Is it a Firefox or other XFCE software?
    I don't run a server, so my dohicky is provided by yahoo.com. Yahoo.com allows blockage of urls, and filtering of messages.
    Firefox has the noscript thingy extension.

Leslie (alias Frankie)
    LOL, good one ! I wish I could have a dog, did have a lot when young in South America, but since I became a professional, I tend to travel too much, and it would be very cruel for any animal.

Coming back to the FF thing, well. I visited the B&H photo site, I even purchased something on it. Which means maybe by me clicking on "accept terms" , they installed some sort of extension, subscription, or other FEE-FAH-LANG , which I cannot find.
    In the old FF, it was easy, but not in the new one. They have gotten good at hiding stuff, I guess it's the new thing, keep the sheeple in the dark....

EDIT: here are my addons, etc:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	extensions.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	29239

Name:	plugins.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	29240

Name:	Screenshot from 2017-11-28 21-27-35.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	12.0 KB 
ID:	29241

Searching my bookmarks for anything with "photo" (which is part of their domain name) yields zilch.

EDIT#2: by the way, this popup shows up randomly any time, even though I don't even go to their site, (even when I am *only* working on my own sites which contain no ads/scripts/nothing), and/or when I first start FF.

EDIT #3: here is a snapshot of my notifications log:

Name:	notifs.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	29242
    NOTE: any non-system notification comes through FF from the same B&H site.
    Last edited by bobx001; 28th November 2017 at 09:39 PM.

aside from many plugin not working, in my instalation it seem this new firefox eat a lot of ram. so i have to revert to old version of ff

Quote Originally Posted by jdamon
    aside from many plugin not working, in my instalation it seem this new firefox eat a lot of ram. so i have to revert to old version of ff
    part of what killed the "dotcoms" in 2000, was the adoption of OOP for "everything", where it is common that the newly-taught programmers slap a "new()" inside recursive loops, etc, basically rendering any program or server or computer unusable after just a few days. And with C++ out of the bag, there came yeeeech "java" lol. I sent a nice email to Scott McNealy about this mess back in the late 90's, which was answered with a sigh, but nothing could stop the advent of this new style of careles programming in all university courses, everywhere, mainly thanks to him actually. He had so much clout in Academia, that everyone adopted this new "style" instantly. To the demise of everything.

I remember I was trying to buy a new Sony Vaio back in early 2000's , and I was about to pay, everything was configured, and I click on that button only to get: SAP.crap.crap.crap.exception - Java out of memory error ..... LOOOOL, the 2000 Euro faux-pas.

And now this OOP has migrated to everything, including your cellphones, and that's why the thing called your wife instead of your mistress that fateful night .... (even though you pressed on mistress, the cpu wasn't ready scrubbing memory, and it chose the other lady instead...)

oh well, sorry for my rant, but I know exactly how you feel. Pretty soon we will need terabyte RAM to just boot. ridiculous.

thats the definite solution: https://www.basilisk-browser.org/

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4