FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

No longer Horribly disappointed in FireFox 57.1

As a "improvement to FF", they took the decision to add new ways (they say more secure) to integrate with firefox. As a result,

My two important extensions are no longer compatible.
    Of the extensions that do work, they are ones I use once in a blue moon.

But the extensions that Firefox disallow, install beautifully with chromium/chrome.

So, I have to kiss Firefox a fond but sad farewell.

Too bad, because Firefox and Fedora are twinned. Now that Firefox is wrecked. I noted that most of the extensions will not be reworking their interfaces to work with Firefox.

Firefox lists a bunch of equivalents that are compatible. Sadly, not one of them is equivalent. Furthermore, not one equivalent has the ability to migrate a Xmarks url repository to the new Firefox or chromium.

Firefox itself, with it's "password/bookmark" facility, does not keep the order into which I put the entries.

Firefox, your killing Fedora
    Last edited by lsatenstein; 24th November 2017 at 05:33 PM. Reason: FF is OK Noew
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Re: Horribly disappointed in FireFox 57.1

I dumped Firefox a while back on most of my machines. They've been downhill for a while now, too dedicated to social issues instead of tech issues.
    Mind the gap.

I've switched to a different browser because of Firefox was a resources hog and slow, that should go for the better now actually, standardizing extensions across browsers is a good move. It will be harsh in the beginning, but should be sorted out as new extensions gets born. New Firefox bring a lot of changes under the hood, so in theory should be a decent candidate again.

The only extension I care about are GreaseMonkey and perhaps iMacros.

I use three extensions and three dictionaries.
    LastPass (hacked once, but not twice)
    xmarks.
    I can go back almost 400 versions of previous bookmarks, and I can easily share them with others.
    Yes, I know I can dump the FF bookmarks and pass the file to another user. but it was so convenient to deal with xmarks.
    Leslie in Montreal

I never had the sluggishness problem with FF I've heard others mention. Maybe I am not much of a power user. But each improvement has seen things go opposite the direction I would prefer. I really only used FF recently due to the power and control of No-Script and UBlock Origin. No-Script has been acting up lately due to the migration I suppose, and some sites won't even function with it installed anymore, even if I disable it. So, figuring No-Script will be a no-show eventually, I have no further reason to use Firefox. I wish Brave would mature - I like what I've seen so far for the most part. Min browser too.
    Mind the gap.

I've not seen a sluggish problem either. Lockup once in a while... Yes, have had that. All I use is FF (Windows and Linux) and the only 'add-ons' I install are the ad blockers.... As far as I am concerned, FF just 'works' and does all I need to do to browse websites. New installs I always move the 'home' from the right side, to the left side of URL bar which makes sense to me. That's all the customization I do. Passwords are stored in a external keepass application.

Sorry to hear of your problems with it. Hope you find something that works for you.

I am hoping that Firefox has a switch setting that would allow certain overrides. Already, there is a beta for the LastPass password manager. Now waiting and hoping for xmarks.
    Leslie in Montreal

Damn, I'm worried about the Rikaichan extension. I can't live without it! I'm sure I could find other ways of downloading Youtube videos if that plugin stops working!
    I used to miss my wife but then my aim improved.

as I already mentioned, they kill FF. Sadly, however after such a long history and so many plugins, such a deep 'cut' for propagating another go-like 'rust' language isn't possible without loosing many many users. RIP FF.

its time to make a backup of FF56, 'cause the end is near

To be fair for Mozilla, extensions maintainers have years ahead of notice to migrate their codes to webextensions the broken one on Firefox 57+ are their responsibilities.
    Desktop CPU: AMD Phenom II(tm) X4 Processor 940 AM2+ - Memory: 8GB DDR2-RAM - GPU: Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 560 4GB OC - OS: Fedora 27 Workstation x86-64 and Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Laptop ASUS X550ZE - APU: AMD Quad Core A10 7400P + Dual Radeon R5 230, R7 M265DX - Memory: 16GB DDR3-RAM - OS: Fedora 27 Design Suite x86-64

Quote Originally Posted by Finalzone
    To be fair for Mozilla, extensions maintainers have years ahead of notice to migrate their codes to webextensions the broken one on Firefox 57+ are their responsibilities.
    to be fair to the users is the key :As Mozilla knows that thousands of users run FF with lots of plugins they have to ensure that (most of, better all of) the plugins are available for FF57. What they do is irresponsible arrogant, as they ignore the strong competition which is stronger than 20 years ago during the browser wars when they 'only' compete with IE limited to windows. Google chrome is already more popular on *NIX and will become even more popular by the FF 'cut'. This weekend I'll check out which plugins have became available in the meantime. Last check was 2 weeks ago. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by dodona
    to be fair to the users is the key :As Mozilla knows that thousands of users run FF with lots of plugins they have to ensure that (most of, better all of) the plugins are available for FF57.
    Compared to millions of casual users whose majority have at most one add-on like ad-blocker?

Mozilla gave at least two years of notice prior to the migration meaning extensions developers knew the news in advance.

https://github.com/RequestPolicyCont...icy/issues/704
    https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2017...r-stored-data/

Those quick researches above pointed out all add-on developers for Mozilla Firefox were informed much earlier. Some of them did their jobs while other either adopted the wait-and-see approch or simply let their addons bit-rotting by giving up.

What they do is irresponsible arrogant, as they ignore the strong competition which is stronger than 20 years ago during the browser wars when they 'only' compete with IE limited to windows. Google chrome is already more popular on *NIX and will become even more popular by the FF 'cut'.
    The blame in this case are those addon developers doing nothing despite being ahead of time so how can Mozilla be arrogant? Firefox had to get rid the inherited remaining 25 years old XUL codes from Netscape no longer effective in modern technologies and vulnerable against more attacking vectors. Google Chrome became popular because it was modern and heavily backed by one of the largest search engine companies.
    Desktop CPU: AMD Phenom II(tm) X4 Processor 940 AM2+ - Memory: 8GB DDR2-RAM - GPU: Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 560 4GB OC - OS: Fedora 27 Workstation x86-64 and Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Laptop ASUS X550ZE - APU: AMD Quad Core A10 7400P + Dual Radeon R5 230, R7 M265DX - Memory: 16GB DDR3-RAM - OS: Fedora 27 Design Suite x86-64

Angry Re: Horribly disappointed in FireFox 57.1

I do not agree with most comments here. In recent upgrades firefox has improved and even before that it was dong good on my laptop. It hardly crashes and is lighter. Chrome is much heavier IMO.

It is one of the few programs which use CPU efficiently on my laptop.

The migration to webextensions was announced long back and extension maintainers will have to bera the responsibility.

As for two extensions mentioned here this website says that they are “WebExtension or Beta on AMO” which means

Please note if an extension is labeled “WebExtension or Beta on AMO” in the right-most “WebExtension” column, that means it has either already migrated, or is in beta form
    https://arewewebextensionsyet.com/

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast