FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

dnf-system-upgrade to F26 failing

I have a Thinkpad W541 that's been running F24 XFCE for a very long time. Since that's gone EOL, I decided to jump to F26. I've used dnf-system-upgrade in the past to go to F23 and to F24 without issue.

This time, however, no such luck.

After downloading the packages and invoking dnf-system-upgrade reboot, it would begin the boot sequence but would hang at the "Starting Switch Root..." message.

This behavior was documented in bug report #1406829. I followed the suggestion in the report to download the SRPM for systemd and rebuild against my running F24 kernel.

That got me past the boot freeze, but now the reboot does not seem to trigger the upgrade process...it just reboots again and loads back into my previous F24 kernel. I don't see anything obvious in the journalctl output, but I'm attaching it here anyhow.

I'm at a loss as to how to troubleshoot from here. I've validated that my installed version of libdb (5.3.28-24) contains the "fix" for the corrupted RPM database issues.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: dnf-system-upgrade to F26 failing

Hi, I never uses system-upgrade method. Although the system-upgrade is considered safer, `dnf --releasever` worked for me every time, so you can try with that. You need to either install the new Fedora keys, or use `--nogpgcheck` option, though.

Code:
    $ sudo dnf --releasever=26 --nogpgcheck upgrade
    To minimize the chance of something crashing in the middle of the upgrade you could switch to minimal target aka runlevel before doing the upgrade. A simple text mode should be enough.

For your issue, maybe there is some service that needs to be enabled for a specific target to make system-upgrade work. Hint: The target that is used for upgrade is called `system-update.target`. `dnf-system-upgrade.service` should be an automatic requirement of that target. Here are some basics of how it works in a case you want to debug it: https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Sof...SystemUpdates/
    Last edited by srakitnican; 10th October 2017 at 07:02 AM.