FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Unhappy nVidia Trouble, no graphical login

After an update on fedora25 earlier this week, then nVidia quit working and the screen would flash back and forth between black and the boot screen.

What I tried to do was to remove all the proprietary nVidia stuff, and install only Xorg stuff. That didn't work. Then I did the reverse, installed only the rpmfusion nvidia stuff, and remove all the Xorg stuff that relates to nouveau. That didn't work. Then I removed all the rpmfusion nvidia stuff and tried the NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64 304.137.run script. That installed fine, and I could see 'nvidia' with lsmod. But, that didn't work either. I just got a black screen on ctrl-alt-f1 and text logins on the other VTs.

Then, in desperation I did a 'dnf update' to fedora26, which worked surprisingly well compared to trying similar things in the past. Well done to whoever made that work so nicely.

But, still no joy with my video driver, and I can't get a graphical login. I don't even get anything in Xorg.0.log (or any other number).

How can I troubleshoot this?

Thanks.

Re: nVidia Trouble, no graphical login

I had a similar problem a while ago. If you are using selinux in enforcing mode, try booting into single user mode and changing to permissive. If rebooting works, you just need to do some selinux trouble shooting (the fedora magazine had a nice article on that recently) and then set selinux back to enforcing mode.

- Jeremy

Red face Re: nVidia Trouble, no graphical login

I was in the process of giving up on fixing this when I put a Fedora 26 Live ISO DVD in my computer and booted it up. I fiddled with the Live running Fedora 26 for a while, then removed the DVD and rebooted from the hard drive without changing anything on the hard drive. To my surprise when I rebooted from the hard drive, everything worked again.

I'm baffled, happy, but baffled.

Cheerio.

I remember having to reboot twice when akmod-nvidia is installed: First boot is to compile the newer driver module, then the second boot to load the newly compiled version. Could this be your reason?

After an update on fedora25 earlier this week, then nVidia quit working and the screen would flash back and forth between black and the boot screen.
    You never mentioned which nVidia driver package you were using before the update which was working before. This should be the first thing you mention in the post.

The vibe I get from your post is one of panic. When something was broken instead of trying to fix it you just started removing everything, installing something else, then removing all of that ...

You should have posted when the driver first failed before you started doing damage to your system. You probably didn't need to remove most of what you did.

Then I did the reverse, installed only the rpmfusion nvidia stuff, and remove all the Xorg stuff that relates to nouveau.
    I have been using the nVidia binary for years and have never removed "the Xorg stuff that relates to nouveau".

But, still no joy with my video driver, and I can't get a graphical login. I don't even get anything in Xorg.0.log (or any other number).
    Are you sure that you are using Xorg and not Wayland which is now the default?

Thumbs up Re: nVidia Trouble, no graphical login

Quote Originally Posted by osce0
    I remember having to reboot twice when akmod-nvidia is installed: First boot is to compile the newer driver module, then the second boot to load the newly compiled version. Could this be your reason?
    I think you are correct. I had OP's issue when I first built a computer a year or two ago, with a discrete NVIDIA GPU.

OP, the proprietary drivers have to be rebuilt for each new kernel version. I found the best way to manage this was to pay attention to my DNF updates, and when I see a new kernel is getting installed, I know that after I reboot I'm going to have to go to the command line and reboot again. I'm not sure that - in my case at least - this was an SELinux issue, although I use fedy to set mine to permissive anyway.