FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Mounts are gone after this mornings update

I have F26 on several boxes and do daily updates. After this mornings update & restart I no longer have any mounts that worked perfectly as recently as 2 minutes before the update & restart. The mounts were created by entries in /etc/fstab with the format //ip/share /mnt/dir cifs credentials=/home/user.smbcredentials,uid=theUser,gid=theUser.

I assume something in the OS update made things more secure. We are using qnap NAS for storage and haven't had any issues in years. Any ideas on how I need to mount common shares in F26 as of this morning?

Update: There were no changes on anything else on the network. Everything is local to each other, no firewalls or other impediments. I can connect to the shares via GUI browsing to the NAS and share (SMB), entering the same credentials I used in the credentials file.
    Last edited by LinuxLerner; 5th October 2017 at 04:55 PM.

Re: Mounts are gone after this mornings update

I have the same issue. If something is no longer supporting cifs we should have known ahead of time not a surprise.
    I found if on boot you tell fedora to boot the previous version your mounts come back. I am halting all updates until this issue gets fixed.
    Anybody know what to do to fix this?

I can still access the shares in nautilus under other locations and network manually
    Last edited by sadams; 6th October 2017 at 12:14 AM.

you may want to revert the kernel update and add a line to /etc/dnf/dnf.conf to prevent updates until this is fixed.

Code:
    cat /etc/dnf/dnf.conf

[main]
    exclude=kernel*
    Last edited by feddy; 12th October 2017 at 08:35 AM.

I too have lost the auto mount for my NAS under both Fedora 27 Beta with kernel 4.13.4 and Fedora 26 with kernel 4.13.4. If I boot either to a previous kernel the auto mount works.

Seen in journalctl for last boot (Fedora 27 Beta)
    Code:
    Oct 06 00:46:45 lxde27 kernel: FS-Cache: Loaded
    Oct 06 00:46:45 lxde27 kernel: Key type dns_resolver registered
    Oct 06 00:46:45 lxde27 kernel: FS-Cache: Netfs 'cifs' registered for caching
    Oct 06 00:46:45 lxde27 kernel: Key type cifs.spnego registered
    Oct 06 00:46:45 lxde27 kernel: Key type cifs.idmap registered
    Oct 06 00:46:45 lxde27 kernel: No dialect specified on mount. Default has changed to a more secure dialect, SMB3 (vers=3.0), from CIFS (SMB1). To use the less secure SMB1 dialect to access o
    Oct 06 00:46:45 lxde27 kernel: CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -112
    Oct 06 00:46:45 lxde27 systemd[1]: mnt-buffalo.mount: Mount process exited, code=exited status=32
    Oct 06 00:46:45 lxde27 systemd[1]: Failed to mount /mnt/buffalo.
    Oct 06 00:46:45 lxde27 systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Remote File Systems.
    Oct 06 00:46:45 lxde27 systemd[1]: remote-fs.target: Job remote-fs.target/start failed with result 'dependency'.
    Oct 06 00:46:45 lxde27 systemd[1]: mnt-buffalo.mount: Unit entered failed state.
    If I add vers=1.0 to the mount line in /etc/fstab I can manually mount the NAS. For example:
    Code:
    //10.0.0.31/share	/mnt/buffalo	cifs	vers=1.0,username=xxxxxxxx,password=yyyyyyyyyyy	0 0
    Glenn
    The Bassinator

Thought I remembered seeing something about this:
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/0...4_13_released/

OK. Version 1.0 = bad. I don't need to mount the NAS from anywhere but my CentOS 7 server, and that currently works fine.

A fix will be greeted with open arms so that I can mount the NAS from elsewhere should I feel the need.
    Glenn
    The Bassinator

I have the same problem here, and yesterday's kernel update seems to have made things worse. Until yesterday, I wasn't able to mount my cifs shares on my nas-server and my internet router, but I could mount a cifs share on my raspberry pi. Since yesterday, I cannot mount any cifs share.