FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Want to Go Back To Windows...

Hello SargeMaximus

Well, that screenshot indicates a completely different sort of problem than we've been assuming.

The problem lies with the Windows bootloader and not Linux.

Looks like your best bet is the bootable USB. That contains a repair option. If memory serves me rightly, that will offer you the option of restoring Windows from an image, which is probably the recovery partition, or trying to "Fix problems that stopped windows starting correctly".

If either manages to fix the boot problem you'll probably be left with the Linux partitions on the disk but that's another problem, or they could be ignored.

If you fix the booting problem within Windows I doubt you'll retain the ability to boot Linux.

I'd be interested to hear how you end up fixing this just to add to my knowledge base.

Quote Originally Posted by bbfuller
    Hello SargeMaximus

Well, that screenshot indicates a completely different sort of problem than we've been assuming.

The problem lies with the Windows bootloader and not Linux.

Looks like your best bet is the bootable USB. That contains a repair option. If memory serves me rightly, that will offer you the option of restoring Windows from an image, which is probably the recovery partition, or trying to "Fix problems that stopped windows starting correctly".

If either manages to fix the boot problem you'll probably be left with the Linux partitions on the disk but that's another problem, or they could be ignored.

If you fix the booting problem within Windows I doubt you'll retain the ability to boot Linux.

I'd be interested to hear how you end up fixing this just to add to my knowledge base.
    Hey bbfuller.

I guess my problem isn't common then eh? It's odd. But ok.

I'll try the bootable USB.

One question however: is there a way to find out if my windows is 64 or 32 bit?

You would need to see what is actually laid down in the Windows partition.

Most Linux LiveCD's will allow you to mount a Windows partition and look at what's on there. If you've got any data not backed up on the disk it would enable you to recover it as well.

I personally prefer using Partition Magic for that but most CD's will do it.

If you have a 64 bit version of Windows (most likely unless the machine is quite old) you'll see two folders:

C:\program files
    C:\program files (x86)

If you have a 32 bit version of Windows you'll just have:

C:\program files

There may be other ways to tell, but that's the way I use.

In answer to your other question, the bootloader of either Linux or Windows can get corrupted, but it doesn't happen that often. On Linux forums you usually see the question of restoring the Linux bootloader so that you get the Linux boot menu. I don't recall ever seeing a case where the Linux bootloader starts to load Windows and then Windows fails to load. I think if this were my machine I'd be looking at the repair options on the Windows memory stick. After all, the situation can't be much worse if it fails. You'll still have to reinstall. If you can get Windows and Linux back, you might consider using a more Windows like desktop environment. A lot of us do. If you look at it as a learning experience there's a lot to be said for it.
    Last edited by bbfuller; 5th October 2017 at 11:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by User808
    Hi. Why you do not try openSUSE Linux ? Certainly you are better than my wife in PC. I installed openSUSE on my wife laptop & zhe did not complain from any thing because, simply, do not need to use terminal.

openSUSE is the only distro that you can with it avoid using of terminal. It has GUI admin tool called YaSet which enable you to do every thing that usually done by terminal on other distro.

It is very stable (more than Debian itself!).

It's packages litle bit older than that of Fedora.

I you like to try it, use leap version.
    With Fedora, you do not need to open the terminal. The software dnfdragora is a graphical interface for updating the system. Everything else for an end-user (standard/non admin) can be done from the graphical interfaces provided.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Hey guys, thank you all for the replies and advice!

I did end up getting it working. Here's the topic where you can see the solution for anyone who has the same issue: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/for...alinux-laptop/

Thanks again for all your support!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2