How to set fastest mirror for DNF on Fedora 26 ?
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to set fastest mirror for DNF on Fedora 26 ?

Hi. I tried to set fastest mirror for DNF by following way that I got on line:

sudo vi /etc/dnf/dnf.conf

then should add to this file the following line:

fastestmirror=true

But when I tried:

& got error message said: no such file !!

I think what I read on line was for old versions of Fedora & there are changes in version 2+ of DNF .......

Please your kind help.
    Fedora 30 X64 bit Cinnamon edition on Lenovo ThinkPad e550 with Intel core i7 5500 CPU @ 2.40 GH X 2, RAM = 8 GB, HHD = 1 TB, Hybrid VGA (Intel Corporation HD Graphic 5500 + Radeon R7 M265 2GB)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: How to set fastest mirror for DNF on Fedora 26 ?

I am not using new dnf version, but I have strong beliefs that that didn't change, they have to preserve backward compatibility you know. Try the following.
    Code:
    $ sudo dnf reinstall dnf-conf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by srakitnican
    I am not using new dnf version, but I have strong beliefs that that didn't change, they have to preserve backward compatibility you know. Try the following.
    Code:
    $ sudo dnf reinstall dnf-conf
    Hi. It was my wrong ! I entered:

sudo vi /ect/dnf/dnf.conf

I entered now:

It work & I add line & became as in attached screenshot. Please is this correct ?

I have following questions:

1) when I upgraded my system to Fedora 27 or 28, does this file will removed or stay dormant or it will continue to be functional ?

2) why Fedora team do not set it by default on "fastestmirror=true" ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dnf-conf.png 
Views:	593 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	27211  
    Fedora 30 X64 bit Cinnamon edition on Lenovo ThinkPad e550 with Intel core i7 5500 CPU @ 2.40 GH X 2, RAM = 8 GB, HHD = 1 TB, Hybrid VGA (Intel Corporation HD Graphic 5500 + Radeon R7 M265 2GB)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was under the impression that dnf looks to mirror sites in your own country. Then uses the ping command to determine the fastest mirror.
    For example, dnf determined that the fastest mirror for .y updates is my local ISP.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my humble opinion fastestmirror just slows things down. It sits there while "determining fastest mirror", several times, so I've given up on it. What I've been doing, and it seems to be working well, is adding the following to dnf.conf:
    PHP Code:
    deltarpm=false
    keepcache
    =true
    ip_resolve
    =
    The deltarpm thing is also a slug. I have no need for this "feature".

Also add country=us (use your own country code) to the end of all of the "metalink" lines for the fedora repo files in /etc/yum.repos.d/

I feel as though I've seen a dramatic increase in the overall speed for dnf transactions by making these changes in the configs.
    Glenn
    The Bassinator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink Re: How to set fastest mirror for DNF on Fedora 26 ?

Quote Originally Posted by glennzo
    In my humble opinion fastestmirror just slows things down. It sits there while "determining fastest mirror", several times, so I've given up on it. What I've been doing, and it seems to be working well, is adding the following to dnf.conf:
    PHP Code:
    deltarpm=false
    keepcache
    =true
    ip_resolve
    =

Also add country=us (use your own country code) to the end of all of the "metalink" lines for the fedora repo files in /etc/yum.repos.d/

I feel as though I've seen a dramatic increase in the overall speed for dnf transactions by making these changes in the configs.
    I added fastestmirror=true and I got good speed
    but
    by adding country=de I got amazing speed (about 10 times faster).... unbelievable

I live in Iran and us is not good for me... its not important to use your country servers, use great servers around (like I know Germany, Netherland, France and UK is great location for me) so find the best for ur self
    Last edited by im1st; 2nd September 2019 at 10:13 AM. Reason: I bumped up this thread cause it came up as the first result in google search

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PHP Code:
    deltarpm=false
    keepcache
    =true
    ip_resolve
    =

You can have the best of both worlds with deltarpm, just set the deltarpm_percentage to a value low enough so that it only uses deltarpm's for the rpms that have a big space savings. Then you'll mostly have the same result as deltarpm=False but getting a benefit from the bloated rpm cases
    Last edited by marko; 3rd September 2019 at 02:02 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would someone post a working sample of these kinds of metalinks? I tried this country suggestion and it bombs, the first try doesn't look right to me but it's a direct implementation of what was said "put country=us at the end of the metalink":

metalink=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=updates-released-f$releasever&arch=$basearchcountry=us

then I tried what I would think is more reasonable (comma then country=us)

metalink=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=updates-released-f$releasever&arch=$basearch,country=us

that fails too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by marko
    Would someone post a working sample of these kinds of metalinks? I tried this country suggestion and it bombs, the first try doesn't look right to me but it's a direct implementation of what was said "put country=us at the end of the metalink":

metalink=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=updates-released-f$releasever&arch=$basearchcountry=us

then I tried what I would think is more reasonable (comma then country=us)

metalink=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=updates-released-f$releasever&arch=$basearch,country=us

that fails too
    metalink=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=updates-released-f$releasever&arch=$basearch&country=us